[TMN] Custom music?

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Vasoo
pedestrian
pedestrian

[TMN] Custom music?

Post by Vasoo » 15 Feb 2006 12:17

Sorry i cant find any related post in this forum, is it possible to use own music for self made tracks in TMN?
The existing ingame music slowly becomes annoying for me :D :D

+++edit+++ i found a folder called challengemusics but its empty, which kind of format has it to be, .wav? (sorry im still new to this :? )
thx
Vasoo´s Madhouse

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 15 Feb 2006 12:32

well, there is a button choose custom music in the trackeditor, and i assume like all tm music it'll have to be in ogg format

Vasoo
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Vasoo » 15 Feb 2006 13:35

cheers, but one question: I can hear it but noone else :(

do i have to buy TMO or TMS for that?
Vasoo´s Madhouse

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 15 Feb 2006 13:55

Yes :)

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 15 Feb 2006 20:21

ogg files are pretty big, probable not even without the key others will be able to hear the song...

Vasoo
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Vasoo » 16 Feb 2006 11:01

hmm, do i have to downsize the .ogg files for that, or is it generally impossible to customize a track with your own music which can be heard by everyone?

atm, Im the only one who can hear it :( I have authentificated my account, my ogg file is 7mb big.
Vasoo´s Madhouse

kristjan
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by kristjan » 16 Feb 2006 20:17

Find/save a *.ogg file enywere on your computer, then go th the Trackmania Nations leancher, press "help", "Costom data", then "Convert music"... Select the ogg file... finish!!!

To select the song on that track... go to the "mediatracker" window (there you can make Intro...) an Costom music... Select your song!
kristjan aka MiniGod

CHINGON
cyclist
cyclist

Post by CHINGON » 17 Feb 2006 08:14

so what program do i need to convert to .ogg ( i never seen that kind of format) ?

Vasoo
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Vasoo » 17 Feb 2006 08:16

just google for an mp3 converter. ;ost of them can handle .ogg files.
Vasoo´s Madhouse

BlackShark
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by BlackShark » 18 Feb 2006 12:38

In order to use custom music in the game, you need to use either an ogg file or a mux file (ogg encrypted with the application you can find in TMN launcher)
Then select it in the track editor and save the challenge.
I also recommand you to use the locator system so that more people get the file quickly. The locator allows you to host your file on a (high speed) internet public server, all players will get the file from this server instead of using the in game peer to peer system.

All you need is to be able to upload your file on an internet server, most people use their personnal website. The file MUST be accessible through DIRECT DOWNLOAD ONLY : hosts like fileplanet do not work !!!
Create a text file in the same folder than your music file, copy/paste the full URL of your file (including http://), save, and rename your text file with the same name than your music file and add .loc as the extension of your file.
For example if your music file is : great_tune.mux rename the locator file as great_tune.mux.loc (make sure you disabled the "hide known extensions" feature in your folder properties so that you actually change the extension of the file).

Restart the game (so that it detects the locator file), open your challenge in the editor, changer the music and unselect and re-select your song so that the game adds the locator in the challenge.gbx file and save the challenge.

And you're done.

With this technique i think you don't even need to use a game key (it was working in TMN beta so it should still work now).

To test if your locator is working,
delete the music file from your game folder (or just move it to your desktop or to your documents), restart the game (yes again...), and play your challenge in single player. You shouldn't hear any music as it is downloading, once it is completely downloaded, it should start playing the next time you respawn (wait one or two minutes and it should be downloaded).
If after 5 minutes you still don't hear the music, something didn't work : make sure your file is accessible through direct download : open your internet browser and type the url of the file, download should begin instantly, some hosts require the files to be accessed from a link on the site, these hosts do not work with TMN.

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 18 Feb 2006 18:45

That's awesome, thanks a lot for the info!
Gives tracks some flavour :p

XxDeMoNxX
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by XxDeMoNxX » 21 Feb 2006 04:39

when i do that it says cannot load challange. wtf?

Basscone
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Basscone » 21 Feb 2006 21:51

Personally, I'd keep the custom tunes for local playback only (just you can hear them) which is how I set mine up. If you have to download the music every time the tune changes it will destroy your ping time and also probably slow it down for everyone else too.

Besides - you can change the tunes you hear a lot easier than having to download them all the time. The track listing for the tunes on the CheezyPeas server is here: http://www.bassynet.co.uk/tmn but it's local playback only and that's the way it's staying. You'll also find a link to a free .OGG converter there too.
"Do or do not - there is no try" Yoda - Jedi Master.

Derek0660
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Derek0660 » 21 Feb 2006 22:53

All you need is to be able to upload your file on an internet server, most people use their personnal website.
is there any place where i can do this for free?

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 22 Feb 2006 00:41

Yeah, but their bandwidth is usually very restricted, and download speeds terrible :x