Do you want your own server for free?

Everything else which you can't find above

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Are you interrested in this type of configurable server?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 114

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Do you want your own server for free?

Post by Niximor » 04 Nov 2006 21:02

Do you want to start server for team training or teams competition, but don't have any PC where the server can run?
It's no problem now. I've created a system where You can configure your own server with your own parameters.
Go to http://trackmania.game-server.cc/serverconf/ where you can configure your server.
You don't need to know anything about running custom server, the dirty work will be done automatically :)

To be able to configure server, you must be registered user. To register yourself, you must connect in TMN to one of my public servers - Niximor's FUN or Niximor's TOP in CZE nation, and type /reg in chat. You will receive your user name and password, which you can use to login.

System is currently running in early beta testing phase, all bugs are possible :) If you find any bug, contact me (here, by ICQ or by email), and I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.
Also if you have any suggestions, don't be afraid and tell me, and I'll see what I can do about it.
Visit my TMN server! Niximor's FUN in CZE servers. Everyone is welcome, players with good rank are prefered - http://trackmania.game-server.cc/.

darksidex
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU Beta

Post by darksidex » 05 Nov 2006 11:26

sounds nice but how many servers can you run on one machine ?
PCL: Toshiba Tecra S2 | Intel Centrino 760 2Ghz | 1024 MB DDR2 | 60GB HDD | GeForce Go 6600 64MB | 15,4" TFT 1400x1050 | Keyboard | Win XP Pro NL SP2 | Cable 256/10.000

Former Trackmania Nations Player & Trackmania United Beta Tester

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 05 Nov 2006 11:31

darksidex wrote:sounds nice but how many servers can you run on one machine ?
I'm not aware of any limitations from TMN server itself, it seems that I can run as many servers as I want.
Probably the only limitation is speed of network connection, in my case it's dedicated 100Mbit. When there are 50 players on server, it eats around 2Mbit in each direction, so there is a lot of free bandwich for another servers.
Visit my TMN server! Niximor's FUN in CZE servers. Everyone is welcome, players with good rank are prefered - http://trackmania.game-server.cc/.

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 05 Nov 2006 13:06

lol, i think overcrowding the server with 10 tmservers running lots of cpu time will also have an adverse effect on netwprk performance but more cpu related. Youll have to delegate between machines or you're goign to get lots of ignore tiems

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 05 Nov 2006 13:11

BLaHiTiS wrote:lol, i think overcrowding the server with 10 tmservers running lots of cpu time will also have an adverse effect on netwprk performance but more cpu related. Youll have to delegate between machines or you're goign to get lots of ignore tiems
Currently I don't see any problems, there are now two servers running on Celeron 900MHz, and CPU load is still 0%, even if one of the server has many users connected, it is still 0%. If it would change dramatically, I'll simply decrease number of configurable servers :)

eyez
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by eyez » 05 Nov 2006 19:41

CPU usage is the least of your worries. But I think if this catches on your gonna need a faster line. 1gbit connection with no bandwidth limitation might suffice ;)
AMD X2 3800+
1gb Dual-channel RAM (2x512 kingston DDR400)
PowerColor Radeon x700 256mb GFX
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 05 Nov 2006 19:43

eyez wrote:CPU usage is the least of your worries. But I think if this catches on your gonna need a faster line. 1gbit connection with no bandwidth limitation might suffice ;)
As I wrote earlier today, server with 50 people eats around 2Mbit of bandwich :) My server is on 100Mbit dedicated line without any limitations, and if I would really need a Gbit, I thing it wouldn't be impossible, so there is really no problem with this :)

eyez
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by eyez » 05 Nov 2006 20:38

Well its a cool idea, so I hope it works :)

Let me know how many servers you can actually support on a 100mbit connection, as mine has the same speed and I would like to know its limits. ;)
AMD X2 3800+
1gb Dual-channel RAM (2x512 kingston DDR400)
PowerColor Radeon x700 256mb GFX
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 05 Nov 2006 21:16

eyez wrote:Well its a cool idea, so I hope it works :)

Let me know how many servers you can actually support on a 100mbit connection, as mine has the same speed and I would like to know its limits. ;)
Now there is theoretical maximum of 7 servers running concurrently, but I doubt it will ever be full everywhere :)

Galahad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Galahad » 06 Nov 2006 15:23

I think the only time you'll have cpu issues is when there's a decent amount of activity on a busy day and racers are constantly joining a server. You'll probably see cpu spikes and lag. Neat idea tho, I'll check it out. I assume the little flags in the upper right of your site are for translating the page? If so it doesn't appear to be working.

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 06 Nov 2006 15:42

Galahad wrote:I think the only time you'll have cpu issues is when there's a decent amount of activity on a busy day and racers are constantly joining a server. You'll probably see cpu spikes and lag. Neat idea tho, I'll check it out. I assume the little flags in the upper right of your site are for translating the page? If so it doesn't appear to be working.
Yes, the flags should switch languages... I'll try to simulate your problem and fix it, and also I want to add language autodetection, because not everyone can notice that flags :)

EDIT: Now language autoselection should work, switching using flags works for me just now, but you should't need it anymore even if it is still broken :)

Galahad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Galahad » 06 Nov 2006 16:47

Wow! Do you think you could be a little quicker next time?! :lol:

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 06 Nov 2006 16:57

Galahad wrote:Wow! Do you think you could be a little quicker next time?! :lol:
It was a small bugfix, only two lines of code has been added :) And I had a break in school :)

Galahad
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Galahad » 07 Nov 2006 03:45

The upload button to upload tracks doesn't seem to be working.

Niximor
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Niximor » 07 Nov 2006 11:26

Galahad wrote:The upload button to upload tracks doesn't seem to be working.
Problem with upload must be somewhere between my server and you, because I've been testing it just now, and it seems to work, also other people already added some tracks.
Check if you don't have any proxy in your way (they can block many things), and also try different web browser.