TM-FORUM

The TrackMania universal forum ^_^
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: you guys like cup-mode?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm 
sunday driver
sunday driver

Owned TM-games: TMN
I hope so too Maxou <3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:06 pm 
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz
English only please Thana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Owned TM-games: TMU TMO TMS TMN
I didn't read everything but I want to say something.
I also thing cup mod as it is right now is a bad thing, everyone explained why ^^
But I do think we should keep the finalist system.
Let's say why :

If ever a guy wins most of the rounds, the 2nd place will just be a matter of luck, and we all know that except in big final, the second place is worth the same than the first one. I will take an example :
We play 25 rounds, a guy finishes first 22 rounds out of those 25 and he finishes 3 times second. Maybe with luck one guy will finish 3 times 1st and he has big chances to finish 2nd overall, it would depend much on luck.
Let's take another example, after 20 rounds, some guy knows he will go through and he doesn't see the need to fight to get the first place on the last map, this last map would be the one which will give the 2nd place of the match. So it will only depend on who is good on this single map, so it's exactly same than in cup mode.
So I think that keeping the finalist system is essential to have a real 2nd place, not a 2nd place determined by luck.

Keeping the finalist system and lowering the points after a guy becomes finalist would be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 am 
sunday driver
sunday driver

Chapo wrote:
We play 25 rounds, a guy finishes first 22 rounds out of those 25 and he finishes 3 times second. Maybe with luck one guy will finish 3 times 1st and he has big chances to finish 2nd overall, it would depend much on luck.

Lol Chapo. I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think that the 2nd place is lucky. If you finish 2nd, then you're better than the 3rd & the 4th... Has nothing to do with luck imo..

Chapo wrote:
Let's take another example, after 20 rounds, some guy knows he will go through and he doesn't see the need to fight to get the first place on the last map, this last map would be the one which will give the 2nd place of the match. So it will only depend on who is good on this single map, so it's exactly same than in cup mode.

Well, there's always a matter of map drawing... At least every map would get played then... There's always some luck involved in the map drawing...

Chapo wrote:
Keeping the finalist system and lowering the points after a guy becomes finalist would be a good idea.

I'm not convinced :P I really think every map should be played 5/6 rounds...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:01 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

We follow very carefully this debate about the mode cup used since the beginning of the new season of qualification. And for my part I am agree with what explained Florent in his first post about Cup mode that you can read here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19902&start=0

I invite you to join this thread to discuss about cup mode.

We understand also the frustration of some of the players whose lost in a tournament the first place because another player came back on them at the end of the match, or because it was on their baddest map. Maybe a few things can be improved on the Cup mode and we will study a few solutions including those exposed in Florent thread to avoid the remaining problems.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:02 pm 
road tourist
road tourist

Owned TM-games: tm.
Cup mode levels the playing field! :pil If you are not the best in all maps, and cup almost assuredly guarantees that they will all be played, doesn't it make sense that only the best overall in the entire cup will win the ESWC cup? :ftw: Rounds is great for upper level LP ladder sections, but winning 3 out of 5 maps and crashing miserably on the other 2, or not playing them at all makes no sense as to who should be the winner... so, I say keep the cup! :lovetm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:47 pm 
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF, TMNF
we've moved to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19902

i suggest you read it.