It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Official game at ESWC 2008
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 pm 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU
Zooz wrote:
Still, aren't there any landing bug dodging techniques you can use like in the other environments? Maybe I do that automatically and almost never get landing bugs outside of dirt because of that or something, I dunno. Anyway, I havent had any big problems with bugs, though I havent played stadium league tracks much in TMF other than my own and some UL3 ones.

No.. on some maps, the only way to avoid bugs its by pure luck, sometimes as extreme as a 1/10 chance.
I tried landing on the back wheels at varying degrees, on the front at varying degrees, turning sideways, flat (big nono)... There is just no way to physically avoid some of them.

But I guess if we don't put jumps or landings, there shouldn't be many problems.. apart from the random slowdowns on flat road that some people complained about O_o
This is clearly not the same bugs as in TMN.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:25 pm 
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU, TM2
there is a word for this whole discussion:

Placebo.

edit: :D

Last edited by PallePingvin on Sat May 03, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:26 am 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
I totally agree with Florent.. its a matter of adapting. Thats why we need someone to come up with the answer, so the players have enough time to adapt.

It doesn't really matter if it's the enviroment, the physics, the configuration... it feels different for alot of people and it does feel different for the ones I've been talking to, and these guys are playing eswc.
It may not feel different for a random player, or someone who always plays different maps, but it does to those who are practicing the same damn tracks every day.

As I said.. it doesn't matter.. I just wanna know what game to use for our preliminaries, and I need it to be the same game that will be used on the finals so our players get adapted to the new feeling.

Who is the one to answer that please?

And Florent, good sport players don't complain about changes and usually get adapted... specially the electronic sports players. But they usually have 1 year to do that between one tournament's edition and another, I have less than 1 month untill brazilian national preliminaries and the organization haven't decided what game they'll be using for the finals.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:38 pm 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU
landing bugs and rammstein bugs are sooo annoying in TMNF ;/ (destroys the game..)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:10 pm 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

enf wrote:
landing bugs and rammstein bugs are sooo annoying in TMNF ;/ (destroys the game..)

Actually I noticed the rammstein bugs are fewer in TMNF... however if you don't want to risk bugging in a competition, you simply avoid the rammstein parts!
With "nolife" that most people these days seem able to do, they should realise which gutters on the track are likely to give them rammstein bugs, and avoid that.
If avoiding means losing too much time, then they are just taking risks.

Landing bugs, the only way you can avoid that on some maps is to slow down to 20kmph and not take any jumps. :ftw:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:28 pm 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU
ye, ... but getting landing bugs on GRAS parts is weird :P

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:19 pm 
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz
Zell wrote:
enf wrote:

Actually I noticed the rammstein bugs are fewer in TMNF... however if you don't want to risk bugging in a competition, you simply avoid the rammstein parts!
With "nolife" that most people these days seem able to do, they should realise which gutters on the track are likely to give them rammstein bugs, and avoid that.
If avoiding means losing too much time, then they are just taking risks.

Wow, there are TMN players who understand this? gg :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm 
tricycle manager
tricycle manager

Owned TM-games: TMN,TMU,TMS,TMO
I don't remember having read people talking about a change in rules beetween TMNF and TMN : the fact that with TMNF, when you press enter, your car goes to last CP. Because of that, TMNF is less selective than TMN, the game we started the season with :wink: . Think about maps with difficult ends during fights : 04-04, ...
That's why, even if finally TMNF gameplay is the same, I would prefer finishing frenchs LAN on TMN and I think, changing the game before end of 2008 season isn't fair. TMN should be played everywhere in the world until the end of Grand finals in San Jose.
Even if ESWC didn't say officially which game is going to be played from now to the end of the season, two french ESWC tournaments are going to be played on TMNF !

Give us the answer we are wainting for, from Brazil to Béarn, please, ESWC staff.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm 
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz
Kaloupey wrote:
I don't remember having read people talking about a change in rules beetween TMNF and TMN : the fact that with TMNF, when you press enter, your car goes to last CP.

At the request of ESWC a server option was made to disable it, so they'll probably use that, then it'll be like TMN.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:39 pm 
tricycle manager
tricycle manager

Owned TM-games: TMN,TMU,TMS,TMO
Zooz wrote:
At the request of ESWC a server option was made to disable it, so they'll probably use that, then it'll be like TMN.
Cool, very good !

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 pm 
cyclist
cyclist

Nice, they chose TMNF...

"Trackmania Nations Forever offers graphics improvements, new features for the competition, the spectator experience and the tournaments gamemastering. "

And screw the players... nice... ;)

I wonder how many of these players saying the game is absolutely THE SAME will be on this grand final... I bet none.

Anyways..

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
Developer
Developer

Flint wrote:
Thats why we need someone to come up with the answer, so the players have enough time to adapt.

did not take long apparently, so you should be happy. Even if I think that in sport you must adapt much more quickly: meteo change, different fields, different hardware, different team mates, different strategy etc.

TrackMania played on the same map forever would have a problem, because we would not see how champion can quickly learn them and play them.

I think this will change nothing as champion ranking, but since you seemed to say that this is big change, maybe you can see this as a clear opportunity for some players to win against the champions like Carl and Gallo coming to USA. Maybe a ESWC qualifier you know see that as an opportunity to change the current world order, and the NWO become the Old World Order.

Whatever, TrackMania move forward with this, and I think it is good news for eSport that a game can be so 'continuous' and does not break the discipline at each new release. So far, most of my feedbacks are positive, and I really think that we see people 'against' talking more than people 'for' like it often happen. Even if I am not against having those discussions. We are there also to look at concerns. But in this discussion, I think we are pretty ok. This is not like we have changed the code or the roads. And by the way, there is not only ESWC around. So if you consider that players goes on different competitions and that you still think it being to big change, this would cause trouble to have mixed competitions. And I hope you agree!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Florent wrote:
Maybe a ESWC qualifier you know see that as an opportunity to change the current world order, and the NWO become the Old World Order.

Lol! Never! :roflol:

:D

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 am 
cyclist
cyclist

I don't think it's ethical to talk about specific players or clans, or even compare them just to prove your point of view. But we've already seen things changing last year and yes, this is a great opportunity for the new players and yes, I'm really happy about having an answer, inspite of the content.

You take this as if it was a personal matter Florent. People are just trying to clarify the rules here.. noone is attacking TMNF or you. I love TMNF and I've stopped playing TMN since the first day of it's release. I have a TMNF server and people love it and so do I. But I have to do my job and ask for answers.

I do think games are different, but that's my oppinion and I'm not asking anyone here to agree with that, nor am I saying that this is a bad thing. I just don't think it's right to change the game in the middle of the competition, that's all. I have never seen this before, but as ppl say, there's always a first time. I don't have to agree with that.

Sorry if I offended you by defending TMN. You are here doing your job as the producer, I'm doing mine as a representative of ESWC organization in Brazil. And I'm talking about wich game is best for a tournament that started using one game and now is using another, not about wich game is THE best.