TM-FORUM

The TrackMania universal forum ^_^
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Official pack of tracks for April/May
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:56 pm 
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Still no official reply to the cut(s) on ESWC-04-02, with four days left to the upcoming LANs ... please hurry admins :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 pm 
tricycle manager
tricycle manager

Owned TM-games: TMN
About the 04-02 cuts.

I'm an ESL Admin and this weekend we have/had the ESL Preparatory Cup, containing this map pack. I've spoken to Breton, the creator of this track, before the cup about the cuts.

He said that the first cut, was not meant to be like that, you just have to jump right instead of going straight and get directly in the checkpoint. The 2nd "jump" cut, wasn't really a cut, but made that way. It was intended to make the jump towards the check instead of going straight. Near end there is a platform, and the early jump of there was allowed to.

Ofcourse that doesn't say these rules MUST be applied, because to be honest I find this map pack quite, horrible? How can such tracks being used for a major competition, if not the largest competition, like ESWC. Cuts being found time after time, and some tracks are just pretty bad.

Least thing to do is contact all the authors of the "cuttable" tracks to fix it. Because compared to previous map pack I find this one almost a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:10 pm 
highway camper
highway camper

Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Personaly, I like the new pack... don't know what should be wrong with it

To 02:
You need much more luck to get the 2nd cut perfectly than the 1st one. So with forbidding the 1st cut it gets even more lucky to finish the track with a good time. And anyone trained WITH the cuts anyway, so it doesn't make sense to forbid them now, one week before the GER National Final.
But it would be great to hear an official decision, because I don't want to be disqualified at the National Final only because I took the best way :D

Post subject: UPDATE: Official pack of tracks for April/May
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

We received a lot of good feedback for this official pack, much more than february/march pack. It is your opinion to think it is "horrible", but I don't think this is the thought of the majority at all. For your ESL tournament if you're not happy with ESWC tracks nobody forced you to use, you can pick other tracks.

About the two ESWC04-02 we have asked his creator to update it. Cuts aren't supposed to be there and two new checkpoint were added to take off them. ESWC-04-02 track without cuts is available in the pack: ftp://ftp.eswc.com/regulations/2008/pre ... y_pack.zip

Post subject: Re: UPDATE: Official pack of tracks for April/May
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 pm 
pedestrian
pedestrian

This pack is maybe better than the previous one (or not), but it is still poor. Compared to other competitions with their own maps (NC/STC, TNA, TT), many eswc maps are really bad (imo). For this pack, some much better maps have not been chosen, like Loco's or Guykes'. I hope you still work on a better way to select your maps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 pm 
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Thank you Sylvain :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 am 
tricycle manager
tricycle manager

ESWC-Sylvain wrote:
We received a lot of good feedback for this official pack, much more than february/march pack. It is your opinion to think it is "horrible", but I don't think this is the thought of the majority at all. For your ESL tournament if you're not happy with ESWC tracks nobody forced you to use, you can pick other tracks.

Ok saying that the pack is horrible was probably too far. But i compared it ( as kirz said ) to the TNA, STC, NC3 and ESL packs. Compared to that, it is really, really bad. Especially considering this is the largest tournament of all!

kirz wrote:
This pack is maybe better than the previous one (or not), but it is still poor. Compared to other competitions with their own maps (NC/STC, TNA, TT), many eswc maps are really bad (imo). For this pack, some much better maps have not been chosen, like Loco's or Guykes'. I hope you still work on a better way to select your maps.

Something i completely agree with, as I stated earlier about the mappacks compared to other competition.

The main thing i don't get is, how maps with more votes than others don't get in the pack? But ones with lower votes get. It olmost smells 'fixed'?

Next pack, just PICK the 8 maps with the BEST votes. Why else would you keep a poll?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:36 am 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU
imo a poll isnt that right way to choose maps anyway...

and yes: compared to feb/march this mappack is really nice :P (but no comparison to dez/jan pack :D)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:17 am 
pedestrian
pedestrian

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU
kirz wrote:
This pack is maybe better than the previous one (or not), but it is still poor. Compared to other competitions with their own maps (NC/STC, TNA, TT), many eswc maps are really bad (imo)...

Man, NC/STC, TNA maps are maded for 1week of training and usually they are quite easy ( very often, easy = favourite for players). You cannot compare that to ESWC maps (2months of training), which has to be harder.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:17 pm 
pedestrian
pedestrian

ESWC maps are not especially made for 2 months of training, you can have a competition one or two weeks after the released of the pack. I don't find eswc maps harder than maps of these competitions.

Anyway, the main thing I want to say is that all the eswc mappacks of this season are not as good as they could be, and i think it is due to this selection with a poll.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
swift roadking
swift roadking

Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8
Wouldn't poll outcomes be heavily influenced by whomever gets the most friends, and others, to vote for their track? (Yes!)
If you're Dutch, I'm sure you know of GeenStijl as a good example.