The TrackMania universal forum ^_^
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESWC Masters of Paris
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:27 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

Owned TM-games: TMN
Games-Services announced today that the upcoming world class event « Mondial du Gaming » (international gaming show organized from 4 to 6 of July 2008 in Paris Bercy) will host the first ESWC Masters of the history of Electronic Sports World Cup.

The ESWC Masters of Paris will gather French champions and selected international champions in thrilling showcased tournaments that will reward their winners with prize money and autoberths for the ESWC Grand Final 2008. Tournaments will be played on high-end computers provided by the Official Partners Packard Bell and Intel. Selected matches will be played on stage. The event will be open to spectators.

All the official ESWC disciplines will be played. ESWC Masters are allowed to welcome a maximum of ¼ of local champions and a minimum of ¾ of international champions.

Counter-Strike 1.6 © Valve Software
The tournament will gather 20 teams:
* 4 French teams (TOP 4 from ESWC France ranking on June 4th)
* 16 International teams (through candidate application)
* 3 autoberths to win for the ESWC Grand Final

Counter-Strike 1.6 Women © Valve Software
The tournament will gather 12 teams (women only):
* 2 French teams (TOP 2 from ESWC France ranking on June 4th)
* 10 International teams (through candidate application)
* 2 autoberths to win for the ESWC Grand Final

Defense of The Ancients © Blizzard
The tournament will gather 12 teams:
* 2 French teams (TOP 2 from ESWC France ranking on June 4th)
* 10 International teams (through candidate application)
* 2 autoberths to win for the ESWC Grand Final

Warcraft III TFT © Blizzard
The tournament will gather 20 players:
* 4 French champions (TOP 4 from ESWC France ranking on June 4th)
* 16 International champions (through candidate application)

Trackmania Nations © Nadeo

Quake III Arena © ID Software
Additional Information

The international candidate applications will take place on Internet at: http://www.eswc.com/masters/paris2008

Candidate Applications: March 20 - May 20, 2008
Announcement of International Selection: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Announcement of French Selection: Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A prize money of 65,000$ will be offered to the tournament champions notably to help them covering the travel expenses for the ESWC Grand Final at San José. Prize money breakdown per tournament:

Counter-Strike : 1. $12,500 / 2. $7,500 / 3. $5,000
Counter-Strike Women : 1. $7,500 / 2. $5,000
Defense of The Ancients : 1. $7,500 / 2. $5,000
Warcraft 3 : 1. $2,500 / 2. $1,500 / 3. $1,000
Trackmania Nations : 1. $2,500 / 2. $1,500 / 3. $1,000
Quake 3 : 1 $2,500 / 2. $1,500 / 3. $1,000

Masters registration fee: 50 euros per participant.

About the “Mondial du Gaming”

The “Mondial du Gaming” (international gaming show) is a world class event of video games, produced by Games-Services, from 4 to 6 of July 2008 in Paris Bercy, the outstanding location of ESWC 2006. The “Mondial du Gaming” will gather in one place for 3 days : Open Tournaments for casual gamers, a video games expo, the ESWC France finals, the ESWC Masters of Paris (PR from January 18 - http://www.eswc.com/document/7.html), The Ipowergames 2008 finals, champions matches played on several stages and many other surprises… More info coming soon on http://www.mondialdugaming.com and http://www.gaming-show.com.

Post subject: Re: ESWC Masters of Paris
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:47 pm 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU
Very nice :)

I just wonder if I can make 1 suggestion..
Since the trips to USA will not be covered by Game-Services, it is clear that the people who win the slot will NEED that prize money to go to USA.

However I hear that people who have qualifiers in their country, or people who are already qualified, will be allowed to participate in this masters tournament.
Therefore, if Carl, Xeno and Dridrione for example take the top 3 spots in the Masters tournament, and they have already qualified, they will take the money, but 4th, 5th and 6th will get the ESWC slots.

IMO that is quite senseless, since then the qualified players will probably end up not going to ESWC 2008, and thus the Masters Tournament does not really achieve it's true purpose.
It costs quite abit for players to attend the Masters tournament in the first place (plane ticket, 50 euros lan entry, hotel), but then if they have to pay even more to get to USA its simply not worth it, and Trackmania Nations unfortunately does not have the support that other games enjoy.

If the travel to USA were covered for the qualified players who wins the slots, then it would be fine for other players to win the money and participate in the tournament, but otherwise it is quite senseless imo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

The true purpose isn't only qualify players and teams to ESWC Grand Final but to have an international event with the best players and teams. That's why the ESWC Masters of Paris is open to every teams and players, even if they already have an autoberth. If we gave money only to players and teams whose will win an autoberth others players and teams won't come to the event. This solution is the best compromise to have both best participants already qualified for ESWC Grand Final, and participants whose aren't qualified.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:11 pm 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU, TM²C
Manialink(s): nbaa / 2d2d
Doesn't seem like this link http://www.gaming-show.com is working as supposed?

"Le site web demandé n'existe pas"
"The web site you have requested doesn't exist"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

Yes http://www.gaming-show.com will open in a few weeks. I will notify it here when it will be done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 pm 
pedestrian
pedestrian

If 3 already qualified players get 1st, 2nd and 3rd, will the slots be given to the 4th, 5th and 6th then?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm 
ESWC Staff
ESWC Staff

Yes that's it. The slot will be given to the first player without it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 am 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TM +O +S +N(F) +U(F)
So the airfare won't be covered by the ESWC, even for international players? It would cost $1500 for a round trip to Paris from where I am, so it seems a bit senseless to only give 3/20 players prizes when 4th might have just lost $1500 plus the entry fee! Even a third place would lose money, not gain it! I know it will be mostly European players, but still, doesn't that mean that the ESWC could possibly cover travel expenses?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 am 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

TMnM wrote:
So the airfare won't be covered by the ESWC, even for international players? It would cost $1500 for a round trip to Paris from where I am, so it seems a bit senseless to only give 3/20 players prizes when 4th might have just lost $1500 plus the entry fee! Even a third place would lose money, not gain it! I know it will be mostly European players, but still, doesn't that mean that the ESWC could possibly cover travel expenses?

I agree with you.. Sadly, when I posed this question a while back, the admin said that the purpose of the Masters is to be a "mini eswc" for those who don't have qualifiers, instead of it being a qualifier to send players to USA.
The idea of this being a "mini eswc" with qualifier slots up for grabs for those who can pay it is rediculous imo... The main aim of the players throughout the season is to get to the grand final in USA, and it would have made most sense if ESWC could cover the trips for the Masters qualified players..

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 pm 
pedestrian
pedestrian

ESWC-Sylvain wrote:
The true purpose isn't only qualify players and teams to ESWC Grand Final but to have an international event with the best players and teams. That's why the ESWC Masters of Paris is open to every teams and players, even if they already have an autoberth. If we gave money only to players and teams whose will win an autoberth others players and teams won't come to the event. This solution is the best compromise to have both best participants already qualified for ESWC Grand Final, and participants whose aren't qualified.

So more french players have to be in masters :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:53 pm 
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

I want to leave some thoughts about the list of invites for the ESWC Masters here ...

... first of all, it is great that you were trying to invite players from as many different countries as possible, but have you also thought about the chances that players from Malaysia, Iran or Canada are going to attend? Probably not, as their travel expenses could only be covered by placing in the top three, for Canada probably only by a tournament victory. I can almost guarantee, that those three players are not going to attend, simply because of that fact plus they are not capable of placing in the top three (no offense, but it's simply the truth).

Then we have rather unknown players like Tauan from Italy, connect from Estonia and Mr. Main from Bulgaria, who might be good players, but all three are not capable of placing anywhere close to the top three - the sad fact about this is that they know it and thus might not be attending, which minimizes the entire field of attendees to like 10, maybe 12 players.

Don't you think it would be smarter to invite more than one player from each country, since I think there are some more talented and skilled players in countries like Austria, Belgium, Russia, Germany and the Netherlands than those being invited. It would also guarantee a more competitive and exciting tournament at Bercy, than having 10 strong players and 6 who are either not attending or simply not on the other's level.

Also - will there be some kind of confirmation that needs to be sent to the ESWC, that you as a player are definitely going to attend, which has to be done until a certain date? By doing that, you could easily avoid people not showing up and get good replacements. Think about it! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:55 pm 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TM +O +S +N(F) +U(F)
I agree with you, gaLLo. All the really foreign players are going to have some serious trouble affording the travel costs. The players who didn't get picked from the pre-selection list should be wait listed ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:12 pm 
pedestrian
pedestrian

You have done an international players' list. Ok. But you wanted a high skilled competition too, didn't you? And i'm sorry to say this, but 5-6 players have a big difference of skill from the others . For example
Luigeck (Malaysia) , he lives so far from paris and he will come to do a top20. It's cool for him... I don't understand why u havn't taken more german or portugese players like zyan,sliver, or user who have got a better skill and won't come for nothing..
Masters is ok for international. Masters is critical for skill.
Overdose.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:02 am 
cyclist
cyclist

i guess they picked players based on the registrations ...
i dunno about the other countryes, but im pretty sure that tauan has been the only italian player registering for the eswc masters

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 am 
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Yep.. Legend nor Rask registered, so makes sense that the Italian Tauan is chosen.

I for one, see no problem with this list. It's actually a good one. Together with the French players, there will be 14 good players out of 20, and that's already setting up to be a great competition worth watching.
Sure you could add more top players, but then aren't you taking away the chance from countries that don't have ESWC?
You will have many more noobs showing up at the ESWC grand finals in USA than at the masters in France (if previous eswc's are anything to go by) so this is normal.

Of course Gallo's point about those who won't pitch up is very valid though.
Rather get the players to confirm their attendance, and then you can notify others soon if selected players can't make it, so you can have a full tournament. The same problem will be in all the games though I guess.. Not sure an iranian team can pay trips for a full dota team to France, nor a solo wc3 player. Who knows ;)

Otherwise, good selection. Too bad about the lack of support for those who win the slots...... but I look forward to watching this tournament on stream. Will be exciting.

PS. There will be a stream this time for tmn, right? :|