Same CD KEY, bought on steam

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

obeygnt
highway camper
highway camper

Same CD KEY, bought on steam

Post by obeygnt » 13 Jul 2007 21:48

i recently bought trackmania united for myself on steam and enjoyed it so i decided to buy it for my friend, after he gave me his acct info i signed in and bought it for him then logged off, when he logged on and installed it everything went fine until he tried to make an account and it said "bad login" so he tried all the steps listed here and deleted his folder in my documents etc. nothing worked, so i told him to read me his cd key and compare and his key was the same as mine, ive emailed tech support from steam and trackmania and no one has helped me yet and i was wondering could this be because i bought the game off the same computer? or has anyone else had this problem?

tma
road tourist
road tourist

Post by tma » 13 Jul 2007 23:53

Haven't had your specific problem, but I've done something similar. Some time back I wanted to give away my original copy of HL2 because I found and bought HL2 Collector's Edition.. This of course meant unbinding the CD-key of the old HL2-copy from my steam account so someone else would be able to use it (didn't want to give away my entire account, obviously). Steam support were quite reasonable, and after explaining the issue, they unbound the key free of charge (I'd expect no less, really).. I did have to send in a scan of the original case, media and CD-key tied to the account as proof I really was the owner of said key. You have something better in the form of credit-card history to prove a valid purchase in this case, so it should be no harder getting this sorted. GL.