Does the addon support xbox360 controller?

General Discussion about Trackmania United

Moderator: TM-Patrol

ameer
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS

Does the addon support xbox360 controller?

Post by ameer » 16 Apr 2008 18:16

Topic..
Also does it support ForceFeedback (vibration function)?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Re: Does the addon support xbox360 controller?

Post by Zooz » 16 Apr 2008 18:26

It works fine, and force feedback works though not with the default drivers, only with the 'XBCD' drivers. That's what I read anyway, I don't have one.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 16 Apr 2008 18:51

yes it does work fine with the 360 pad and yes there is no rumble with the micro$oft drivers but with the xbcd there is :D
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by Leak » 17 Apr 2008 12:10

XBCD drivers download, in case you were wondering... :)

They might be a bit of a hassle to use on Vista x64 due to M$' dain bramaged handling of unsigned drivers thought, and they only support the wired (i.e. non-wireless :mrgreen:) 360 controller.
"I'm not anti-anything, I'm anti-everything, it fits better." - Sole

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 2x ATI Radeon 4850 512MB, Creative Soundbastler X-Fi Platinum, 2GB RAM, XBox 360 Controller

ameer
highway camper
highway camper

Post by ameer » 19 Apr 2008 08:40

Thank you!
I already have this driver before (old xbox controller)
but the only problem preventing me to change the driver is that I use official driver for games that support it (Bioshock, crysis, Assassin's creed ...etc)
This game must support the official driver, there are no excuse, it's now really easy to program the game to support the controller thank to new Xinput, other PC controller still operate by old Directinput ..
Do you know that in all Xinput supported game you can actually unplug & plug the USB cable inside the game and it work very well without need to restart the game? also most (Games for windows) when you connect the controller after already launched the game it will automatically recognize it, and the (on screen display) will change according to xbox360 icon's button, it's really amazing! you don't see -on screen- something like (press Button9 to fire) instead you'll see the xbox360 button's icon (Bioshock) or at least the name of the button (Assassin's creed), so there are no confuse at all. (exactly like playing on console)
I which Trackmania's developers support it..

So if anyone say microsoft driver suck! that because the software need to be updated, otherwise alternative driver will be very helpful in old games, but Trackmania United are NOT an old game!

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Leak » 19 Apr 2008 10:24

ameer wrote:So if anyone say microsoft driver suck! that because the software need to be updated, otherwise alternative driver will be very helpful in old games, but Trackmania United are NOT an old game!
Sorry, but if Microsoft's great new XBOX 360 driver doesn't fully support older (and new) games that are still using DirectInput it definitely sucks.

Not supporting essential features of your controller (and yes, I'd call rumble just that) just because you can't be arsed to implement full DirectInput support in addition to XInput is just plain evil. Not to mention that Microsoft made both DirectInput and this controller, so you can't blame it on lack of knowledge either...

np: Underworld - Dirty Epic (DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 2x ATI Radeon 4850 512MB, Creative Soundbastler X-Fi Platinum, 2GB RAM, XBox 360 Controller

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8

Post by Retodon8 » 19 Apr 2008 14:31

Wikipedia has some info on the differences between the two here.
ameer wrote:I which Trackmania's developers support it..
I'm with you.
I'd understand if (don't know any facts) the Xbox 360 controller becomes/already is popular for Windows too, because Xbox 360 owners already have one (or more) anyway.
According to Wikipedia, and of course MS, Xinput is easier to program for, so maybe Nadeo could patch this in without too much trouble?
Best case scenario is that all modern games support both methods.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

ameer
highway camper
highway camper

Post by ameer » 21 Apr 2008 18:35

Leak wrote: Sorry, but if Microsoft's great new XBOX 360 driver doesn't fully support older (and new) games that are still using DirectInput it definitely sucks.

... Not to mention that Microsoft made both DirectInput and this controller, so you can't blame it on lack of knowledge either...
You really right about that, official DirectInput for this controller -will, I'll say it- suck!!

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by Retodon8 » 21 Apr 2008 18:48

ameer wrote:Not supporting essential features of your controller (and yes, I'd call rumble just that) just because you can't be arsed to implement full DirectInput support in addition to XInput is just plain evil. Not to mention that Microsoft made both DirectInput and this controller, so you can't blame it on lack of knowledge either...
I doubt it has anything to do with arses, or lack of knowledge.
MS has a tendency to...
Let me just link to this article on Wikipedia instead.
This is their way of promoting xinput.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

Leak
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Leak » 21 Apr 2008 19:11

Retodon8 wrote:
ameer wrote:Not supporting essential features of your controller (and yes, I'd call rumble just that) just because you can't be arsed to implement full DirectInput support in addition to XInput is just plain evil. Not to mention that Microsoft made both DirectInput and this controller, so you can't blame it on lack of knowledge either...
Errr... small niggle there - that text you quoted was actually written by me; ameer just quoted it him-/herself... :)

And honestly I don't really see drivers that don't work right with older games (which also won't ever get an update for XInput) as a "promotion"... more like the hardware manufacturer slapping you the customer in the face with a large trout, as usual.

np: Justus Köhncke - $26 (Safe And Sound)

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by Retodon8 » 21 Apr 2008 19:33

Oops! Sorry!
I chose not to quote the post in which you quoted him, because that way I wouldn't be able to screw things up.
I chose to quote the original post, but since he quoted you earlier, I managed to screw up anyway, and leave that quote thing there.
OK, I think I explained that correctly.
I'd fix it, but then this thread would get even more confusing. :)
If you want, I'll fix it though.
Leak wrote:And honestly I don't really see drivers that don't work right with older games (which also won't ever get an update for XInput) as a "promotion"... more like the hardware manufacturer slapping you the customer in the face with a large trout, as usual.
No, older games will never support xinput.
So, if the X360 controller only supports xinput, it'll never work fully with older games, but MS can live with that.
Old games aren't important economically speaking.

Never games might/could/should support xinput.
So, if there is enough reason to support xinput, game developers will add support for it.
By making the X360 controller not be fully supported through the old method, as seen in TM, MS encourages developers to work on xinput support.
(Encourages is a euphemism. :) )
If more developers add xinput support, it will be, by very definition, more popular, and that's what MS wants, for xinput to replace the old method.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

isamu
road tourist
road tourist

Post by isamu » 11 Dec 2010 12:59

Still no progress on this issue? Any patches or mods that allow TM to support the official Micro$haft driver for the controller?