[TMNF] Problem with server/port forwarding

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

kamicki
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN(F)

[TMNF] Problem with server/port forwarding

Post by kamicki » 14 Apr 2011 23:00

Hi!

I have a problem with setting TMNF server.
I would like to play TMNF with friends, but we all are behind different NATs. We tried using hamachi, but it just doesn't work (it seems like ports are opened only on the main network interface and not on hamachi one).
Now I have all needed ports forwarded to my host and still it is not possible to join the game using the external ip address. Which is wierd because the TM Server test on http://dedimania.net/deditest/ says that ports are open and server is responding. Of course I forwarded both TCP and UDP ports.
I tried setting up a server using Trackmania Nations Forever client and dedicated server. Both solutions cause the same problem. My friends tried to connect by finding the server in the list in TMNF client and also using the browser with tmtp:///#join=x.x.x.x method.
Another weird thing is that in some cases when my friends try to join my server TMNF client gives an error: "Connection to 188.165.231.204:2350 failed or disconnected from server (10061)". This isn't my external IP address and I noticed that the same error (with the same IP address) is shown when trying to join some other internet servers listed in the TMNF client (not all of them - it is possible to join some of them).
Anyway most of the times the message just says "Cannot connect to server".

snakeice
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Re: [TMNF] Problem with server/port forwarding

Post by snakeice » 16 Apr 2011 08:27

I was having the same issue and decided I was going to figure this out. Turns out you have everything configured correctly but only paid players can access any server not labeled as a Freezone server that Nadeo hosts! Kinda weird huh? You can connect if you bookmarked the server or via LAN but not over the internet and no one else can either unless they have the paid United Flavor of the game. Guess I'll stop hosting Trackmania as well or just place how to connect via favorites on my site and hope people figure it out and want to put up with that or I will not host Trackmania any longer.

Here is the topic and the explanation:
http://tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27226

To all TrackMania Nations Forever players with a free account,

Since one year, the in game advertising revenues are in troubles and Microsoft is now even closing the whole thing down.

In order to adapt to the new situation, Nadeo has decided to make an evolution on the way players get access to the online servers.

Players with a free account will now have direct access only to freezone servers, hosted by Nadeo. In order to have access to any other server, they will have to go through the use of the favorite server function. The goal of this operation is to better welcome the free players in a place that encourage them more to buy the paying game (TrackMania United Forever) while preserving the capacity for the most enthusiastic players to access to all servers.

To upgrade your account, go in the profile page in the main menu of the game.

We are aware that the game can't be bought by many (even in some nations) This is why we keep the solution to enter a server with the favorite list function. This list will be reset and limited to five for free account. A server can simply be added through a tmtp link like this "tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin"

For your information, around one third of connections are from paying accounts. The Nadeo team is working hard to have the capacity for all simultaneous players using free accounts. If we encounter unforeseen issues, we will try to adapt quickly to the situation and we apologized before if we create troubles. We have been informed really late by our partner that they are shutting down our contracts, and we now have to quickly adapt.

Looking forward to your comments
Florent
Nadeo Managing Director

kamicki
highway camper
highway camper

Post by kamicki » 16 Apr 2011 18:33

Thank you for your reply.

I think I found a workaround by using ForceBindIP and binding Hamachi interface to trackmania with it (but I didn't have a chance to check it yet).

About your explanation, I think there is something more than that. When I see non-Freezone server on the list at least I am able to see the description of it (I'm just not able to join) and when my friends click my server's name they get the error immediately - by the way, is it possible to add server to favourites when you cannot join it in the first place?

snakeice
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by snakeice » 16 Apr 2011 20:16

Not sure about not seeing your server on the list unless it has something to do with Aseco.

Not sure if the forcebind will do as you wish it seems to restrict to that ip and if you are going through a NAT may not help.

As far as the Freezone I know previous to their implementation of this there were no issues connecting to my server as it is. I think they went around and disabled accounts as well possibly.

I have been so busy this is really my first real attempt to find out what the heck was happening to prevent login into my server.

Maybe test over the LAN though that doesn't test your open ports but if you can connect via LAN that tells you everything is working as it should especially since you tested your ports availability already via WAN.

My next step is to find who to contact regarding my account.

kamicki
highway camper
highway camper

Post by kamicki » 17 Apr 2011 16:59

Hm.. My server is on the list, but when you click it, you get an error. When you click other non-freezone servers you get at least a window with a description (the one where you can see currently playing players and other info as far as I remember).

It is possible to connect through LAN (using the web browser and tmtp:///#join=<LAN_address>).

I do not really care for public server, I just want to play with friends, who are behind another NAT. So I hope the Hamachi network + ForceBindIP method works. This week I should be able to test it.

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 19 Apr 2011 17:39

Just to rule out Freezone completely, try making your server hidden (in config) and have your friends join it via the tmtp link. As far as LAN goes, they should see the server listed under 'Party Play' from the main menu (whether it is setup as a LAN or online server), as long as the server port is within the client's broadcast range (2350-2359 by default).

Personally, though.. it seems like the fault rests in your network setup. What exactly do you use/need hamachi for -- a vpn specifically for TMF? The more advanced your setup, the more likely for problems to pop up. I'd try starting out at the most basic setup, and work from there.
Chief Janitorial Supervisor of the Let'sRock! TM community : www.LetsRock-TM.com

andwan0
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by andwan0 » 28 Feb 2018 20:31

How do you use the

tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

URL? is serverlogin the IP address? IP and port?

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 01 Mar 2018 07:46

andwan0 wrote:
28 Feb 2018 20:31
How do you use the

tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

URL? is serverlogin the IP address? IP and port?
No, serverlogin, just like it says. On your own server, it's in the config file; on someone else's server, use chat command /serverlogin .
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

andwan0
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by andwan0 » 01 Mar 2018 08:22

does this work for free tmnf servers?

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 01 Mar 2018 11:38

andwan0 wrote:
01 Mar 2018 08:22
does this work for free tmnf servers?
Any TMF server.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

uhrturmtom
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: All but not Turbo

Post by uhrturmtom » 09 Mar 2018 01:29

Hey Advano! Does it work with the tmtp://addfavourite=serverlogin? I tried it since one week to play with my buddies online... By the way we (my buddy and I) got the paid version. United. Tomorrow Morning we played together - I created a Server everything was well. After work - we want to play again bit no a chance to get it started :( Same connection error. Every single help is very useful for me. We played TM since original in the box. Thanks.