The big Dedimania discussion

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

The big Dedimania discussion

Post by nocturne » 01 Jul 2009 19:25

Slig wrote:I can only suppose that you don't play Rounds often to consider that both kind of records are the same thing...
The fact remains that every time you go through the start gate, whether in rounds or TA, you have the same exact chance to make the same exact time -- the only differences depend on the driver (unless in laps).

Between TMF and TMN, though, you don't have that same chance for that same time. Sometimes you're faster, sometimes slower -- all depends on the track.

A decent example between our TMF/TMN servers would be Ride by Irondragon. There's a noticeable drop of .05-.10 secs moving to TMF. On our local recs, thats a difference enough to take you from first to 25th, or from 400th to past 500th. Looking at DM's own recs page for that track, the difference becomes all the more obvious.

I'm not petitioning to end the separation of rounds and TA times, just saying if you are that concerned about separating times where driving conditions affect the time, it seems obvious you'd want to separate TMF from TMN... :roll:

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Re: The big Dedimania discussion

Post by fordry » 02 Jul 2009 22:00

Slig wrote:
fordry wrote:TA vs Rounds doesn't affect how fast you can do a track. The whole point of Dedimania is to show the fastest (legit) times for a track.
I can only suppose that you don't play Rounds often to consider that both kind of records are the same thing...

If TMN/TMF records had be splitted at beginning, i'm pretty sure that many would have complained that they have lost their records... :roll:

Splitting, so having 2 sets of records for lot of maps, would increase a lot the number of records. Some day the old TMN will be stopped, so this problem will become nearly obsolete...
Actually, i play both alot. I compete in ESL and my clan's servers are primarily TA. I hadn't thought of the multilap tracks, so that makes some sense. But otherwise, there is absolutely no difference. Yes you can just press del (or whatever) and restart as many times as you want on a TA server but you can go for good times if you want on rounds as well, the mode doesn't change how the track handles.

Im not sure why people would complain about their recs, some of the tmn tracks were permanently broken, and this is a totally separate game.................

And as nocturne has pointed out, while it doesn't seem like a real big difference, there is a significant enough difference in the in-game physics that some tracks do run faster or slower. Some tracks have cuts that can be done using the respawn feature which is only available in tmnf (i know a lot of people shake their heads at cuts, but imo, you do the track the way it was made and if there is a cut, well, so be it, do it, seems half the time, the cut is more fun than the normal track).

wolf5150
cyclist
cyclist

Post by wolf5150 » 11 Jul 2009 07:23

Back to the donation department!

You say you want or rather need to upgrade the box running the datatbase so would it be feasable to offer up my old Processor as i am about a month out from upgrading my current Q6600 Quad Core to a faster one and it will be available for donation. :thumbsup:
Or would you rather build from new? I would gladly tack you on as a.....hmmmm....$5 monthly bill sound like enough?
Internet=$60
Webhosting=$45
Dedimania=$5
Having dedimania on my servers=Priceless!

Wish i could offer up more but i run my team and servers from my own pocket. :pil :lovetm

Normally i would not offer up such a great performing processor for donation but i oh so enjoy the Dedimania records system and would hate to see it go.

****EDIT****
I sent $5.....oops....i didn't mind the Eur to US conversion....I sent $7.15....lol...anyways thats 5 EUR, Hope it helps! :3
~ Super Nova Site/Stats
~ SN Short Tracks Server
~ SN LoL Server
~ Super Nova -all the tracks
Recruiting for scrims! Are you fast enough to be a super nova team member?

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 11 Jul 2009 09:16

It would be fun to know maybe how many that actually have donated :) Who and how much is a more private matter I guess. The interesting question is if It's helping, and have you got 10 donations or a 100? :) I've tried a couple of places to give some publicity to this post, but It's probably possible to do more.
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 11 Jul 2009 11:41

wolf5150 wrote:You say you want or rather need to upgrade the box running the datatbase
The number of connected scripts seems to have become stable, so the actual server seems to be sufficient. Btw it will perhaps change with modified api, but we will see that later.
so would it be feasable to offer up my old Processor as i am about a month out from upgrading my current Q6600 Quad Core to a faster one and it will be available for donation. :thumbsup:
It's a rent dedicated server, so i can't just upgrade the processor or memory (else i would have done it)
Or would you rather build from new? I would gladly tack you on as a.....hmmmm....$5 monthly bill sound like enough?
Internet=$60
Webhosting=$45
Dedimania=$5
Having dedimania on my servers=Priceless!
I'm not sure to understand what you offer here.... you offer to host dedimania for 5€/month ? or to donate 5€/month for dedimania ?

For a hosting : what kind of connection is it ? how much memory ? stability of the computer ? continuity of service (hardware, connection, electricity) ? kind of remote access/control on the computer ?
lille79 wrote:It would be fun to know maybe how many that actually have donated :) Who and how much is a more private matter I guess. The interesting question is if It's helping, and have you got 10 donations or a 100? :) I've tried a couple of places to give some publicity to this post, but It's probably possible to do more.
I just updated my spreadsheet about it : http://dedimania.net/DedimaniaDonations.html (without names)

wolf5150
cyclist
cyclist

Post by wolf5150 » 12 Jul 2009 04:45

Clerification, I'll send ya some doe to help out, My box is tapped out, 4 trackservers,1 bf2 AIX ,teamspeak,ventrillo,Natural selection,R6V, plus hosting my webstats it's amazing i have enough bandwidth on a busy night to play games myself....lol
Although if i could afford to help ya that much i would gladly do so. :)
~ Super Nova Site/Stats
~ SN Short Tracks Server
~ SN LoL Server
~ Super Nova -all the tracks
Recruiting for scrims! Are you fast enough to be a super nova team member?

jeffroselier
road tourist
road tourist

Post by jeffroselier » 15 Jul 2009 13:37

Hello everyone,

A suggestion in relation to a trote ideas in my head for a while now:

it would be possible to have a database that would cumulate votes + + and - in addition to the first 30 times?

That to really be useful to know what are the best tracks.

And thank you again for all the work already done :thumbsup:

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 16 Sep 2009 12:28

In order to move servers forward to newer versions of their Dedimania controllers, Slig and I have begun disabling ancient versions of the following tools in the Dedimania database:

ADEDIMANIA: before v0.7 as well as v0.8(a)
ASECO/RASP: all v0.xx
ASECO_CALSMURF2: before v2.2.0c
ASECO_CDV: all
ASECO oddball: all
CAR: before v0.8
FAST: before v3.1.x
NeSCo: before v0.4c
Onyx: before v3.1.3
RCP: before v4.0.3.0
SATO: before v1.0
TM-DeReCo: before v1.2 (except DeReCo v0.5)
TMSPS: before v0.3
TRUCK: before 9.08.16
XASECO: before v1.00
various testing/oddball versions

Most of these are rarely used anymore or have never been used, but old controllers have various bugs in their Dedimania implementation (not to mention the rest of their system :wink: ) and need to be phased out. Eventually, upcoming changes to the Dedimania API which should reduce/eliminate misplaced records, are likely to require all servers to upgrade to the latest versions of their respective controllers.
Last edited by Xymph on 26 Sep 2009 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled ASECO_CDV v2.2.0 too
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 16 Sep 2009 20:41

So... what's preventing a user of a mentioned controllers/plugins from just changing the reported value to a supported one..?

And for that matter, what prevents anybody from creating a plugin to completely spoof all the required values, and send bogus times to DM..?

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Sep 2009 21:31

nocturne wrote:So... what's preventing a user of a mentioned controllers/plugins from just changing the reported value to a supported one..?
Lack of PHP knowledge might prevent some, and the Dedimania error message that advises admins to upgrade some more, but ultimately a version is easy to fake indeed. And thanks for giving some people that idea. :roll:
nocturne wrote:And for that matter, what prevents anybody from creating a plugin to completely spoof all the required values, and send bogus times to DM..?
I dunno... it not being worth the trouble? The people being able to write that hopefully realizing they can do something constructive instead of destructive with their talent (although that admittedly didn't work for the kid that wrote the cheats). Also, the planned API changes which aim to make spoofing a lot harder. And the ability to block specific server logins from submitting anything at all (which could lead to an arms race between logins getting changed and blocked over and over... we'll see who has the most stamina in that).

Anyway, what's up with you playing devil's advocate yet again? You want Dedimania to fail and shut down? And then return to what... the public database of your favored controller, which never really got off the ground? (no offense AM)
Dedimania is all the TM community has for online world records, so while I wasn't expecting much feedback on my previous post, at best I was hoping for ideas to make it better, not a public discussion of ways to break it -- but there you go.
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 16 Sep 2009 21:42

Without Dedimania TM wouldn't be the same for sure. Still great work Xymph! :thumbsup:
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

GS-Liam
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: All

Post by GS-Liam » 01 Dec 2009 09:58

A nice feature,,, (Not sure if possible! or already made)
Would be for a admin to report a hacked time on dedi mania, We've had a couple of hack records in the server which are deleteable localdatabase, but not on dedimania they still remain, As much as you guys keep ontop of it, i think it may help you if a admin was able to report a time to you and then you can delete it
Thanks, Regards
Liam Bishop
E-mail/Msn: Liam@Gaming-Solutions.com
Xfire: gsliam
http://www.gaming-solutions.com

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 01 Dec 2009 11:06

GS-Liam wrote:Would be for a admin to report a hacked time on dedi mania, We've had a couple of hack records in the server which are deleteable localdatabase, but not on dedimania they still remain, As much as you guys keep ontop of it, i think it may help you if a admin was able to report a time to you and then you can delete it
http://dedimania.com/SITE/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82 or email to tmn@gamers.org
And yes, I also stay on top of it daily :wink: so no need to mail me unless something slips by for several days.

GS-Liam
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: All

Post by GS-Liam » 01 Dec 2009 11:07

Xymph wrote:
GS-Liam wrote:Would be for a admin to report a hacked time on dedi mania, We've had a couple of hack records in the server which are deleteable localdatabase, but not on dedimania they still remain, As much as you guys keep ontop of it, i think it may help you if a admin was able to report a time to you and then you can delete it
http://dedimania.com/SITE/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82 or email to tmn@gamers.org
And yes, I also stay on top of it daily :wink: so no need to mail me unless something slips by for several days.
:thumbsup: Good work keep it up :thumbsup:
Thanks, Regards
Liam Bishop
E-mail/Msn: Liam@Gaming-Solutions.com
Xfire: gsliam
http://www.gaming-solutions.com

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 17 Feb 2010 22:34

Xymph wrote:In order to move servers forward to newer versions of their Dedimania controllers, Slig and I have begun disabling ancient versions of the following tools in the Dedimania database:
Slig and I decided to make another push to get servers to upgrade. Below is the updated list of tools/versions that are now disabled for Dedimania, with bold indicating the changes since the previous list.

ADEDIMANIA: before v0.7 as well as v0.8(a)
ADEDIMANIA: v0.7 on Aseco v2.1.6 and v1.0 on Aseco v2.0b
ASECO/RASP: all v0.xx
ASECO_CALSMURF2: before v2.2.0c
ASECO_CDV: all
ASECO oddball: all
CAR: before v0.8
FAST: before v3.1.3o in the v3.1.x series, all in v3.2.0 series, before v3.2.1u in the v3.2.1 series, and before v3.2.2c in the v3.2.2 series
NeSCo: before v0.4c
Onyx: before v3.1.4
RCP: before v4.0.3.2
SATO: before v1.0
TM-DeReCo: before v1.2 (except DeReCo v0.5)
TMSPS: before v0.3
TRUCK: before 9.08.17
XASECO: before v1.04
various testing/oddball versions

As before, most of these are rarely used anymore or have never been used, but old controllers have various bugs in their Dedimania implementation (not to mention the rest of their system :wink: ) and need to be phased out. Eventually, upcoming changes to the Dedimania API which should reduce/eliminate misplaced records, are likely to require all servers to upgrade to the latest versions of their respective controllers.