The big Dedimania discussion

This is the place where you can find everything related to the dedicated server, control scripts and community tools.

Moderators: Pit Crew, TM-Patrol

nicomoore0
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: All

Re: The big Dedimania discussion

Post by nicomoore0 » 03 May 2009 00:29

is it possible to change the config on your server so it records more than 30 (using xaseco 1.0.5 & xaseco 1.0.6 on other server) [I CAN see it does say not to edit it but can it be done anyway?]
C®AżΨ αηηιнιllαтσя ッ

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 03 May 2009 07:50

nicomoore0 wrote:is it possible to change the config on your server so it records more than 30 (using xaseco 1.0.5 & xaseco 1.0.6 on other server) [I CAN see it does say not to edit it but can it be done anyway?]
No, the central Dedimania system stores 30 records per game mode (TA or Rounds) per track, so that's pointless.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 06 May 2009 13:08

Slig recently implemented a ban mechanism in the central Dedimania system, so confirmed cheaters can now be banned and will no longer be able to register Dedimania records.

The cheaters thread lists the logins that were banned if they cheated more than a few times, the other logins in that thread will be banned as yet if they're caught again, as are any newly discovered repeat offenders. In total nearly three dozen logins are banned at this time.
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 06 May 2009 14:30

Great work Slig and Xymph. You're doing a great job! :thumbsup:
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 06 May 2009 16:15

I know cheaters are being removed from dedimania, But cant dedimania have a new string version like Game TMUF: Version Number of the new update by nadeo....

all the recs that are being made that are older then 2.11.19 game version will be excluded from dedimania...

post idea's?!

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 07 May 2009 03:21

w1lla wrote:all the recs that are being made that are older then 2.11.19 game version will be excluded from dedimania...
What would it change ? it seems that actual tmnf cheats are on the 2.11.11, that's true, btw if that version is banned it will take few days or weeks to make it again on another version. All that would do is making many many many players unhappy, because the majority don't know that there is a game fix at all...

Why am i so sure that the majority has not fixed his game ? because many good players have not do it either, so there is no doubt that those who are far less concerned don't have done it... If i make you a list of serious players who don't have updated their game, and who play competition where forceopponents visible is on like FET, gpcoast or maniacup (yes it means that the 'hide too close' and the number of visible opponents is not working for them when playing such compets!), you will be very surprised ! Fast show them a chat message about the fix with a link to get it at each race start, but still they seem to not read !!! :shock:

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Post by fordry » 07 May 2009 20:22

i realize this might be going a bit off topic, but why does nadeo release an update but allow older clients to connect to the central servers and play online? The only possible hiccup with that is the steam client but im sure they would be able to work that out.

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 07 May 2009 22:42

fordry wrote:i realize this might be going a bit off topic, but why does nadeo release an update but allow older clients to connect to the central servers and play online? The only possible hiccup with that is the steam client but im sure they would be able to work that out.
Florent already explained several times that he does not like forced patches. Because it can happen that some players who had no problem with the original game or a previous fix have problem with the last one, and so in such case would eventually not be able to play any more because of a forced patch.
Btw having the fixes not forced but available on the launcher update button would not be a bad thing...

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 08 May 2009 20:12

sometimes developers or people using plugins of dedimania get a method_helper.php error.

Will those errors be displayed on a site for developers so that they can see what they might be doing wrong.

Don't know if its allowed but it might be usefull for developers.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 08 May 2009 21:10

w1lla wrote:sometimes developers or people using plugins of dedimania get a method_helper.php error.
Will those errors be displayed on a site for developers so that they can see what they might be doing wrong.
The error/warning should include its explanation, i don't really see what more i could give. Have you some example of warning message which would need more explanation ?

Of course i have no clue for users who don't try to read and understand error messages, but i'm sure that you already have that problem with users who don't try to understand error messages from your own script ;)

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 22 Jun 2009 20:49

Good ol' narcissistic nocturne here again, to ruin all the fun...

Anyways, I'll start off by saying that I'm pleased with how the DM servers have been performing as of late. Haven't had a failed connection attempt yet, and only timed out on an empty test server once. Whatever changes you guys have made, certainly seems to have done the trick.

That said, I was slightly confused as to why TMN and TMU/TMF times are still listed together... Sure, the tracks are the same, but the basic mechanics of each game are entirely different. Having plenty of record-crazed regulars that wander back and forth from our tmn server to the tmf one, it's certainly obvious that changes in TMF go a lot further than just breaking a few PF starts.

I know, just one more thing to complicate the stats, but as far as I figure... there's a lot more difference between TMF and TMN than between racing in rounds and TA...

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Post by fordry » 30 Jun 2009 03:53

nocturne wrote:That said, I was slightly confused as to why TMN and TMU/TMF times are still listed together... Sure, the tracks are the same, but the basic mechanics of each game are entirely different. Having plenty of record-crazed regulars that wander back and forth from our tmn server to the tmf one, it's certainly obvious that changes in TMF go a lot further than just breaking a few PF starts.

I know, just one more thing to complicate the stats, but as far as I figure... there's a lot more difference between TMF and TMN than between racing in rounds and TA...
Agreed 100%, if you are gonna split the recs, splitting the 2 games makes tons more sense than splitting TA and Rounds, TA vs Rounds doesn't affect how fast you can do a track. The whole point of Dedimania is to show the fastest (legit) times for a track. Its kinda stupid when i race a track ta, get a good rec and there are lots of other dedi recs on that track, then go to rounds and there is nothing. My 2 cents..........

corto-72
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by corto-72 » 30 Jun 2009 05:59

I completely disagree here... TA and rounds best times can't be compared since you are not racing under the same conditions... it's quote/ unquote easier to play for the topin TA than in rounds... In TA you can try as many time as you want to beat your time, where as in round this is far from being the case - or you don't play for the finish points. And even so, you have less tries per map...

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 30 Jun 2009 07:46

corto-72 wrote:I completely disagree here... TA and rounds best times can't be compared since you are not racing under the same conditions... it's quote/ unquote easier to play for the topin TA than in rounds... In TA you can try as many time as you want to beat your time, where as in round this is far from being the case - or you don't play for the finish points. And even so, you have less tries per map...
Plus, and this is the biggest reason for separating them, on multi-lap tracks in Rounds mode you're still starting all together from a stationary position and racing for the required number of laps (often > 1), while in TA everybody is making laps at their own pace and crossing the start/finish line at speed while timing the best single lap.

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Slig » 30 Jun 2009 23:59

fordry wrote:TA vs Rounds doesn't affect how fast you can do a track. The whole point of Dedimania is to show the fastest (legit) times for a track.
I can only suppose that you don't play Rounds often to consider that both kind of records are the same thing...

If TMN/TMF records had be splitted at beginning, i'm pretty sure that many would have complained that they have lost their records... :roll:

Splitting, so having 2 sets of records for lot of maps, would increase a lot the number of records. Some day the old TMN will be stopped, so this problem will become nearly obsolete...