Gamepad hangup

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

wims
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Gamepad hangup

Post by wims » 03 Jul 2007 12:58

Hello,
I tried to search the forum, but the search was not fruitful, so i decided to make a topic myself.

The issue is that my gamepad hangs up every now and then for like half a second or something. This causes me to frequently crash as the steering is locked into a turn (sometimes it locks into straight forward as well). This is not because of controller malfunction, as it happens with all my controllers (i have two game pads and a joystick, it happens with all of them), and it have never ever happened in any other game except Trackmania. I do think the lockup is something that happens when tmn have to compete for cpu cycles with other applications or services, because when I get alot of messages on mIRC the controller almost always locks up (I have a secondary monitor i like to place chat on so i can see if i get messages while i play).

Do anybody know a remedy for this problem?

I'll list my hardware here, and hope everyone else with the same problem list their hardware as well, maybe we can find a common denominator possibly causing the problems :

AMD64 3200+
ASUS K8N-E deluxe nForce 3 250gb motherboard
1 gig OCZ DDR400 ram
ASUS GeForce 6800GT 128mb + driver v91.31 (WHQL)
Seagate 120 gig HDD
D-Link DWL-G520 WiFi card + driver v4.1.2.147 (this also happened on my old Broadcom based WiFi card)
Audigy 1 soundcard + driver v5.12.4.1196

Win XP SP2
NOD32 antivirus (also happened when I was using Avast antivirus)
I use two monitors, although only one for the game itself. I also run UltraMon so i get a taskbar on my secondary monitor

If you know the reason for the gamepad hangups then please post, if you have the same problem then please post your system specs

-SSRwims

tma
road tourist
road tourist

Post by tma » 03 Jul 2007 14:50

I have the same problem occasionally too, but very rarely. I also think there's a relation with cpu cycles since it usually happens if I already have the feeling it's time for a reboot rather sooni'ish. Also, I actually can't remember ever experiencing this with my old gamepad (a Thrustmaster firestorm dual analog). My current pad is an XBOX360 controller. Could be just that I was too crap back then to notice when a crash wasn't my own fault, though :P

My current specs are slightly slower than yours: AMD64 3000+, Geforce 6600GT, 1gigz o' RAM. WinXP SP2. I run TMN at fairly low quality settings, so I have between 60-100fps on most tracks.

Now that you mention dual monitors, have you tried disabling one before gaming to see if it helps? In general, I have more problems with games of any sort when I forget to disable cloning for my TV, and certainly, stuff is slower while cloning is on. I have no idea if this could augment this particular problem though, as I never really thought about it until now.

wims
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by wims » 03 Jul 2007 21:26

Been playing without my secondary monitor today and i havent really noticed any gamepad lockups :D

EDIT: I still get some lockups, but now they seem less frequent

QuikSilver
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMS, TMO

Post by QuikSilver » 04 Jul 2007 00:55

are you running any other programs next to it that eat your CPU?

i had that too with my kb when i was still playing nations
but it stopped when i was only running TMN

wims
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by wims » 04 Jul 2007 12:10

I am running other progs in the background, but none are very cpu intensive. I usually run mIRC and MSN in the background while playing TMN, but the lockups happens when i dont run them as well

edit: fixed horrible english
Last edited by wims on 04 Jul 2007 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

Tom.CZ.73
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: all PC versions
Manialink(s): Tom.CZ.73, sQs

Post by Tom.CZ.73 » 04 Jul 2007 12:30

I have same trouble with Logitech Rumblepad II (wireles and cable) and Logitch DualActin.

Logitech support recommended me to calibrate pad, perform clean boot on my system and reinstal driver but problem wasnt fixed :cry:

I puzzled :cry:

wims
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by wims » 04 Jul 2007 12:43

Could the ones who have this problem please post your system specs?

Tom.CZ.73
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: all PC versions
Manialink(s): Tom.CZ.73, sQs

Post by Tom.CZ.73 » 04 Jul 2007 15:06

sys spec sended to PM

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 06 Jul 2007 20:07

Well... I had the same problem for the longest time, and always chalked it up to the gamepad (ps2 pad w/ usb adapter). It would intermittantly not respond, almost making the walls seem magnetic. I tried countless little tweaks over six monthes, but never quite fixed it. Finally, I found the real cause.

The problem was actually caused by a program I had running in the system tray (automation program, which I specifically used to turn ati tray tool off when starting a GameGuard-protected game). Since the program 'polled' the computer every few seconds for a certain running game, it would cause the intermittant loss of control. Since then, I've found many other programs that cause the same thing: IM programs, antivirus (you can usually tell it not to scan accesses made from the game dir in the AV options), hotkey pollers, background defrag programs (like diskeeper), and basically any other type of program that makes random and sudden disk accesses.

mIRC and especially MSN fall into this category. Also be sure to configure nod32 to not actively scan accesses made to/from your game dir.

Rax
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Rax » 06 Jul 2007 20:53

wow never knew about nod32 doing that, thanks

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 07 Jul 2007 01:50

Any antivirus program worth it's salt (of which nod32 is the best -- hands down) has a scan on file access feature, most often referred to as a 'shield' or 'active protection'. Within the AV's options you should be able to allow exemptions for specific processes/folders, which will keep your AV from scanning every file accessed from that directory/process. Typically, I have all my games installed into a 'Games' folder, so I can just make one exemption for all programs installed within that folder.

Rax
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Rax » 07 Jul 2007 09:38

cheers for that, it wasnt too hard to find the options on nod32 anyway (been using it for a while and it works well for me)

Decept
cyclist
cyclist

Post by Decept » 08 Jul 2007 01:40

the easyest way to solve gamepad problems is to throw it away and pick up your keyboard... dumbass :P

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by nocturne » 08 Jul 2007 10:17

Decept wrote:the easyest way to solve gamepad problems is to throw it away and pick up your keyboard... dumbass :P
wow... how insightful... especially given the great ergonomics and control a keyboard will give... lol