Profile- and account-nick update hassles

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

tma
road tourist
road tourist

Profile- and account-nick update hassles

Post by tma » 27 Jul 2006 05:23

I've been having some problems with getting my colored nick and clan-tag to properly show up when I join servers, and have been doing some testing.

The problem: Your PROFILE-nick has room for something like 20 chars, while your ACCOUNT-nick has room for 30. So basically, to have a colored nick, you will have to specify it under ACCOUNT. OK? Swell. The problem is that when I join servers, I don't automatically get my ACCOUNT-nick (the colored one). I need to go into Show All Servers --> Advanced --> Account and UPDATE my nick. It's all there in pretty colors, I only have to press OK, but it's annoying to have to do this. It should be mentioned that this problem applies only when joining SERVERS. When I first sign on and see my Player Rank on the "welcome" screen, it's the ACCOUNT-nick as you'd expect, not the uncolored profile-nick.

So, why is the PROFILE-nick used when joining servers unless I manually go into Account and refresh it before joining a server?

I've done some testing.. Turns out I ONLY have this problem as long as I log in with the credentials stored in my profile.. Suppose I have something like this:
account/login: MYACCOUNT
profile-nick: myname
account-nick: mynameispurrty
Now, the account was registered as MYACCOUNT, and it says MYACCOUNT in the login-field. It is possible to change the contents of this field but not ingame without creating a new profile, since it gets burned into your profile when you create it. Hence, you either have to figure out the profile file-format or alter memory while the game's running. I found the latter to be easiest.... But anyway: What I now CAN do, is select "connect with another login", type in 'MYACCOUNT', 'myaccount' or whatever odd combination of case, and this whole problem disappears. I become mynameispurrty automatically, without having to do the Account-refresh..

So to summarize:
  • - My REGISTERED account name, as it appears on trackmanianations.com etc. is 'MYACCOUNT'. I'm not entirely sure why I mention this as it does not seem to matter, aside from my initial assumption that this had something to do with caps in your accountname. But now, this doesn't seem to have any significance :roll:
    - The account name used when logging in is 'MYACCOUNT' as stored in my profile since creation-time.
    - I DO NOT get my account-nick automatically when logging in with a caps-and-chars equivalent login-name stored in my profile ('MYACCOUNT'). I get my profile-nick.
    - I DO NOT get my account-nick automatically when logging in with a caps-and-chars un-equivalent login-name stored in my profile ('MyAcCouNT'). I get my profile-nick.
    - I DO get my account-nick in purrty colors (mynameispurrty) automatically if I simply choose "connect with another login" -- using the SAME profile and THE EXACT SAME credentials, regadless of case :3. For example: myaccount/password works. MYACCOUNT/password works. mYACCOuNT/password works. But NOTHING works if I store that stuff in a profile..
So, the final conclusion: IF I manually enter my login each time, it works. If I use the credentials *STORED* in my profile, it doesn't. I have this problem from both my computers, by the way. Some people I've talked to have the same problem and have to update their Account-info under show-all-servers, while others don't. Whether the case of your login matters or not, I have no idea. I only mention it because I heard mention of logins with caps in them causing trouble for privmsg in old versions of the server software.

I tried creating another account, this time with no caps (eg 'newaccount') .. but got the exact same behaviour. IF I logged in with the details stored in the newly created profile, I'd have to manually update to get the account-nick. IF I selected "use another account/use an existing account" yet with the same profile, the account-nick would be used, As Is Good And Proper(tm) ..

Does anyone have any experience/insight on this? Anyone from Nadeo care to comment? :pil Granted, this is mostly a minor annoyance, but a fix or workaround for this would be sweet regardless.

Edit: Erp, probably should've posted this in the troubleshooting-forum. Feel free to move it if you deem it appropriate.

tma
road tourist
road tourist

Post by tma » 31 Jul 2006 03:41

Since there has been no answers, I'll try a last resort in fishin for a solution: An illustrated version of the above post (and a free bump :roll:)

Anyway. Here goes.

#1 First I define a new account, called 'mytestprofile' as you can see in the screenshot.

#2 Now, try to log in (and create an account).

Then, a bit of fast-forward with no screens. I get the serverlist, go to Show All Servers --> Advanced --> Account and set myself a new nick there. A colored version of 'mytestprofile'. I then log OFF, and log ON again. I then get greeted with this ladder display, showing that my account update has worked and I now - presumably - have a colored nickname:. It works!

#3 I then immediately join a server. DOH! there's my profile-nick. No color at all, in spite of the ladder-screen before showing correctness.

#4 I now LEAVE the server, go into Account.. And I am greeted with this image, of my profile-opts. Everything seems good here, so I just press OK. There's NO need to re-input the nick, it's already there.

#5 I immediately join a server. And behold! I have a colored nick! Not the profile-one. This works, but I have to perform #4 before joining every single server. If I do this, and join a server, I get a colored nick. If I leave that server and join another one, however, I have to redo the refresh.

So, that's about it.. EVERY single time before I join a server, I must go into account and refresh the details to get my nickname. However, the curious thing is that this doesn't happen when I choose "log in with another account" (still using the same credentials, mind you, just typed in manually) instead of using the settings stored in the profile:
Then, joining a server right away, I get my nick in colors as it should be..Absolutely NO need to do the refresh-thing.

Of course, doing it this way has the effect of - apart from having to type my user/pass every logon (in it self, this is less annoying than having to refresh acct.details before connecting to EVERY server) - not using the profile it would seem, which is far worse.. This means that no records are kept, and I'll get a gray record box every time I finish etc. Hence, it's not a very nice workaround. Strange thing is, why doesn't EVERYONE have this problem? Is it a port-fwd issue? Sounds strange as your account-details are stored server side, but maybe? I'm out of ideas. Of course, TMS does not have this problem as you DO have sufficient space in the profile input box .. so there is no separation between an account-nick or a profile nick as in TMN (at least as far as I know) ... Why wasn't this solution used for TMN as well? Oh well..

So, anyone got any suggestions? :(

ZaPpeh
cyclist
cyclist

Post by ZaPpeh » 31 Jul 2006 09:53

Use a Smaller Nickname

I hope this helps

tma
road tourist
road tourist

Post by tma » 31 Jul 2006 16:46

The thing is, most people out there have far longer nicks and clan-tag combos than me, and they don't seem to have this problem. Additionally, my nick, sans clan-tag, is a whopping three chars long already.

Thank you for the suggestion, though. It gave me a rather simple idea to drop just one $i .. Which leaves the nick similar enough to the "clan uniform" to not make any difference, and freeing the two characters I needed to fit it into the profile-nick 8) This is still a workaround, though. I'd still be interested in a real fix.