The problem: Your PROFILE-nick has room for something like 20 chars, while your ACCOUNT-nick has room for 30. So basically, to have a colored nick, you will have to specify it under ACCOUNT. OK? Swell. The problem is that when I join servers, I don't automatically get my ACCOUNT-nick (the colored one). I need to go into Show All Servers --> Advanced --> Account and UPDATE my nick. It's all there in pretty colors, I only have to press OK, but it's annoying to have to do this. It should be mentioned that this problem applies only when joining SERVERS. When I first sign on and see my Player Rank on the "welcome" screen, it's the ACCOUNT-nick as you'd expect, not the uncolored profile-nick.
So, why is the PROFILE-nick used when joining servers unless I manually go into Account and refresh it before joining a server?
I've done some testing.. Turns out I ONLY have this problem as long as I log in with the credentials stored in my profile.. Suppose I have something like this:
Now, the account was registered as MYACCOUNT, and it says MYACCOUNT in the login-field. It is possible to change the contents of this field but not ingame without creating a new profile, since it gets burned into your profile when you create it. Hence, you either have to figure out the profile file-format or alter memory while the game's running. I found the latter to be easiest.... But anyway: What I now CAN do, is select "connect with another login", type in 'MYACCOUNT', 'myaccount' or whatever odd combination of case, and this whole problem disappears. I become mynameispurrty automatically, without having to do the Account-refresh..account/login: MYACCOUNT
So to summarize:
- - My REGISTERED account name, as it appears on trackmanianations.com etc. is 'MYACCOUNT'. I'm not entirely sure why I mention this as it does not seem to matter, aside from my initial assumption that this had something to do with caps in your accountname. But now, this doesn't seem to have any significance
- The account name used when logging in is 'MYACCOUNT' as stored in my profile since creation-time.
- I DO NOT get my account-nick automatically when logging in with a caps-and-chars equivalent login-name stored in my profile ('MYACCOUNT'). I get my profile-nick.
- I DO NOT get my account-nick automatically when logging in with a caps-and-chars un-equivalent login-name stored in my profile ('MyAcCouNT'). I get my profile-nick.
- I DO get my account-nick in purrty colors (mynameispurrty) automatically if I simply choose "connect with another login" -- using the SAME profile and THE EXACT SAME credentials, regadless of case . For example: myaccount/password works. MYACCOUNT/password works. mYACCOuNT/password works. But NOTHING works if I store that stuff in a profile..
I tried creating another account, this time with no caps (eg 'newaccount') .. but got the exact same behaviour. IF I logged in with the details stored in the newly created profile, I'd have to manually update to get the account-nick. IF I selected "use another account/use an existing account" yet with the same profile, the account-nick would be used, As Is Good And Proper(tm) ..
Does anyone have any experience/insight on this? Anyone from Nadeo care to comment? Granted, this is mostly a minor annoyance, but a fix or workaround for this would be sweet regardless.
Edit: Erp, probably should've posted this in the troubleshooting-forum. Feel free to move it if you deem it appropriate.