Short term issues for competitions

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Florent
Developer
Developer

Re: Short term issues for competitions

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 23:24

I will look at this a little later

I have a full day meeting tomorrow, but I think I can connect this week end to read

DeathDriver
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMNF, TMUF

Post by DeathDriver » 09 Dec 2010 23:29

Another thing: To spectate a game should remain easy and free to do!
Maybe you could add ALL Relay TVs automatically to the Freezone? Like: Play on FreeZone servers and spectate on RelayTVs for free.
This way Nations players can have a look at other matches, competitive matches, and maybe get interest in playing competitive (which is important for ESL&co).

Dominhead
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Dominhead » 10 Dec 2010 00:05

Hi,

I'm Dominhead, Administrator of CETM (Comunidad Española de TrackMania or TrackMania Spanish Community 8) ). We're on since 2007 and made a lot of tournaments and leagues for our players. At the moment we have about 750 users registered and still growing.

We are preparing our 4th TMN Spanish League right now, for which we have made deals with several software and hardware developers for their support. The result is one of the greatest online TM tournaments i've ever seen since i installed the game in 2006. For example, the prizes for the top 4 teams:

- Cooler Master Silent Pro GOLD 600w + Asus FrontLinker + MSI P55-GD85 + ZOTAC GT 240 AMP! + TACENS SPIRO ICE 12CM (3 unidades) + TACENS PORTUM LIBER + Licencia Panda

- Cooler Master GX 550w + AEROCOOL Vx-E Pro + ZOTAC GT 220 + TACENS SPIRO ICE 12CM (3 unidades) + TACENS PORTUM LIBER CONECTOR EXTERN + Licencia Panda

- Cooler Master Centurion 5 II + TACENS SIGNUM II + ZOTAC GT 220 + TACENS STRIDOR + TACENS SPIRO ICE 12CM (2 unidades) + TACENS GELUS PRO III

- TACENS STRIDOR + AEROCOOL VS-9 PSU 550W + AEROCOOL TOUCH 1000 + TACENS SPIRO ICE 12CM (2 unidades) + TACENS GELUS PRO III

We are now in a "registrations-open" status, and our intention is to start the league about 01/16/2011, so we still have enough time to set everything in an easy way for the new players who want to join the League. But i'd like to be in contact with you, Florent, so we may discuss some aspects, like the server access for the participants and something else.

My post is for anything in particular, as you can see (i read the general post and at the moment I don't have any other good idea to improve the community after this change) i'm just looking forward to a good communications with you if neccesary, for the good develop of our League.

Thank you and my best regards :)

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 10 Dec 2010 00:28

Please, this is not a place to advertise individual competitions. Let's stick to general issues only.

lolsmurf
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tmunitedforever

Post by lolsmurf » 10 Dec 2010 01:12

Florent wrote:I don't want all the income at all

I am looking for the regular player who can easily afford the game he is playing on regularly, but prefer to buy many other games instead of our.

If there is a way to keep all the active and constructive players from the community at the same time, I would be more than happy.

The community number of players is really small beside the number of TrackMania players. If you think of 8 million of registred players, compare it with the number of players in teams!

this is why I am pretty confident that we will find a solution, at least if negativness does not invites itself on board too often. It is logical to have some tonigh, also considering that nearly 100K players discovered the news today, but I can just rely on players really wanting for Nations to have a solid future to see that we need ot improve the model.
Ok can you explain it to players who are in the age 10 -16 who do not understand this? In their own language?

gex.nl
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: United forever
Manialink(s): ir

Post by gex.nl » 10 Dec 2010 01:19

@florent:
why you release this now and not in tm2?
wait ubisoft has tm2 rights ? :P

but lets imagine nadeo have still possibilities in tm2

if you waited with this kinda release to tm2 with the freezones,
cuz i heared you gonna pay for every zone apart in tm2

then you wouldnt "crash" tm1 this bad now,
because i can imagine a lot of people now think screw tm, im not even considering tm2

you are watching on SHORT TERM MONEY
and yeah probably about money ...

if you would let the game it was, eventually a bunch of people will buy tmuf, because they would like to explore it

i drive with tmuf only on stadium,
doesnt really adds a lot, but still a little bit that i like.

if you keep players happy and reverse this major "flaw"
maybe you have a future with tm2

money from happy people who played tm1
and all the way

gl with my "short story"

lolsmurf
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tmunitedforever

Post by lolsmurf » 10 Dec 2010 01:20

lolsmurf wrote:

I am looking for the regular player who can easily afford the game he is playing on regularly, but prefer to buy many other games instead of our.

If there is a way to keep all the active and constructive players from the community at the same time, I would be more than happy.

The community number of players is really small beside the number of TrackMania players. If you think of 8 million of registred players, compare it with the number of players in teams!

this is why I am pretty confident that we will find a solution, at least if negativness does not invites itself on board too often. It is logical to have some tonigh, also considering that nearly 100K players discovered the news today, but I can just rely on players really wanting for Nations to have a solid future to see that we need ot improve the model.
Ok can you explain it to players who are in the age 10 -16 who do not understand this? In their own language?
The first senctence is the KEY!

You are looking for players who can afford playing this game.

Not for players who can't afford this game.

Just a commercial ripoff!

Come on you are screwing everybody right now in the behind.

it's all about €€€€€€ and $$$$$$$

I give you an idea:

Next time when you launch a new game, say its free and sell it on the internet for € 30,00 after it is succesfull.

Yeah, the mom and dad probably will NOT pay for it!

You sound right now like EA games. Lots off crap for more money!

Keep it comming baby!

Dominhead
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Dominhead » 10 Dec 2010 02:08

Zooz wrote:Please, this is not a place to advertise individual competitions. Let's stick to general issues only.
Sorry for the inconvenience, my intention is far away from promoting anything (i didn't link any web actually), the list of prizes or the dates were just to give an idea of how important is this competition (and the game of course) for us. If you think these are unnecesary ads, just remove them from the post, no problem :wink: .

I just hope Nadeo will keep an eye on us.

dimCracker
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by dimCracker » 10 Dec 2010 09:18

Wrong topic guys. You should use the other thread if you want to complain about the change.

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 10 Dec 2010 09:50

lolsmurf wrote:
lolsmurf wrote:

The first senctence is the KEY!

You are looking for players who can afford playing this game.

Not for players who can't afford this game.

Just a commercial ripoff!

Come on you are screwing everybody right now in the behind.

it's all about €€€€€€ and $$$$$$$

I give you an idea:

Next time when you launch a new game, say its free and sell it on the internet for € 30,00 after it is succesfull.

Yeah, the mom and dad probably will NOT pay for it!

You sound right now like EA games. Lots off crap for more money!

Keep it comming baby!

So you would be happy not eating and paying your mortgage??? ...the ignorance of some people bemuses me greatly.

One day when you grow up you will realise you need to pay for things in life!

FYI - TM was successful before it was free :roll:

Now have a little patience, and try thanking these guys for the fun they have given you over the years? It's a bit like death in real life. rather than cry too much, try thanking life for the time you had with something/someone, rather than ruining everything sulking about going without!! it's a refreshing way to look at life.

It's not that hard to "bite your tounge" really is it? :D

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 10 Dec 2010 11:03

I have yet to formulate my entire opinion on this issue, but I need to comment on the possibility of a competitions whitelist...

In terms of a short term solution of course this would be best -- there's active competitions that have been severely crippled with no prior notice. A lot of time and money was spent organizing these competitions, and they certainly shouldn't be made to suffer.

But in the long term, under what rational should competitions be given a free pass? There's no doubt it's an important part of the TM community, but still a somewhat minor part compared to the general server community.

I run a 24/7 competition amongst all 6 of my TMNF servers, hosted by my own dime and the result of literally thousands of hours of work. Why are we any less deserving of a free pass?

A temporary solution should be made obviously, but after all active competitions are over the whitelist system should be removed in the interest of fairness.
Chief Janitorial Supervisor of the Let'sRock! TM community : www.LetsRock-TM.com

Alinoa
Developer
Developer

Post by Alinoa » 10 Dec 2010 11:26

Florent wrote:it is a little complicated

I would make them invisible to start with, but joinable by any free account with a tmtp link

it would be a mid term solution if the "server list" would not transform itself to a webpage with password/server link list ^_^

for me, it could be a good way to reach the community without giving full access

dimCracker: I will definitely look for 5 tomorrow then

I also understand that the whitelist is not the perfect solution and will rather look at "enabled server"
This is now possible for Nations players to join invisible servers with a tmtp link.
For servers managers, you have just to write 1 into the dedicated_cfg.txt configuration file of your server to configure it as invisible :
<hide_server>1</hide_server>
To add a server in your favorit list, copy this link in your game’s browser address bar
tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

For direct hosting open to all, write <hide_server>1</hide_server> in the command line and use
tmtp://#join=serverlogin

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 10 Dec 2010 11:30

Alinoa wrote:
Florent wrote:it is a little complicated

I would make them invisible to start with, but joinable by any free account with a tmtp link

it would be a mid term solution if the "server list" would not transform itself to a webpage with password/server link list ^_^

for me, it could be a good way to reach the community without giving full access

dimCracker: I will definitely look for 5 tomorrow then

I also understand that the whitelist is not the perfect solution and will rather look at "enabled server"
This is now possible for Nations players to join invisible servers with a tmtp link.
For servers managers, you have just to write 1 into the command line below to configure your server as invisible :
Awesome stuff, least a good workaround for competition use here.

Thanks Guys 'n' Girls :thumbsup:

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 10 Dec 2010 12:37

Alinoa wrote:This is now possible for Nations players to join invisible servers with a tmtp link.
For servers managers, you have just to write 1 into the command line below to configure your server as invisible :
Can we get a guarantee on how long this is going to work? Not that we're suprised by an instant change again. Something between 1-3 months would be pretty fair I guess.

Will you make exceptions for competitions in future too? I guess the idea is that competition participants switch to united? What requirements must a competition meet in order to be "whitelisted"?

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon

Post by jamie_macdonald » 10 Dec 2010 12:39

svens wrote:
Alinoa wrote:This is now possible for Nations players to join invisible servers with a tmtp link.
Can we get a guarantee on how long this is going to work? Not that we're suprised by an instant change again. Something between 1-3 months would be pretty fair I guess.

Will you make exceptions for competitions in future too? I guess the idea is that competition participants switch to united? What requirements must a competition meet in order to be "whitelisted"?
You do not need a whiltelist with the feature above,

Simply advertise your competition with the tmtp links, and ensure your server config has it set to "hidden". then all the players need do is click the link.

This change ensures that competitions can manage the situation for now, and that the free "wandering players" will need to purchase to browse freely.

Nice question re: the timescale though. it would be nice to see how long this is likely to be needed, or if this is semi-permanent,

Good points there svens :thumbsup: