FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

noxkaneone
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tmo,tms,tmn,tmu,tmnf

Re: FREEZONE

Post by noxkaneone » 14 Dec 2010 03:13

put some aseco on the hackersfreezone servers Boooooooooooooring

gerbiepiep
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by gerbiepiep » 14 Dec 2010 09:47

What could be done to get some more TMUF players is to send out a bunch of TMUF disks to toy/game stores in a bunch of countrys.
Not everyone is able or wants to buy from online stores.
So i think this will be a way to attract some new TMUF players.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Dec 2010 09:54

gerbiepiep wrote:What could be done to get some more TMUF players is to send out a bunch of TMUF disks to toy/game stores in a bunch of countrys.
That would also cost a hell of a lot of money to do :thumbsup:

It's a nice idea, but not the cheapest way of getting sales.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Dec 2010 10:00

noxkaneone wrote:put some aseco on the hackersfreezone servers Boooooooooooooring
You could allways buy united, and make a better server, and let you friends know how to favourite and join, heck you could even do that for free with nations.

After the ranting from previous commentors just complaining about using their maps for the server, i doubt they would want to use a community made script (like Xaseco) on the server (allthough admitedly it would be nice).

They do have manialive running on the servers (as florent mentioned), this displays nothing as of yet (i am hoping that they will make some display widgets, but can only guess what they plan).

Hopefully you'll get something soon :thumbsup:

gerbiepiep
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by gerbiepiep » 14 Dec 2010 10:10

jamie_macdonald wrote:
gerbiepiep wrote:What could be done to get some more TMUF players is to send out a bunch of TMUF disks to toy/game stores in a bunch of countrys.
That would also cost a hell of a lot of money to do :thumbsup:

It's a nice idea, but not the cheapest way of getting sales.
It would cost them money in the first place, thats for sure.
But they could start with sending out a small pack of disks to 3 or so countrys and see how well it goes.
Im thinking of the USA/Germany and The Netherlands.
Id bet allot of people have never heard of TM at all, i didnt even knew that TM existed before september 2009 untill someone in my Xfire friend list started playing TMNF.

Now i come to think of it, maiby arrange something with Xfire?
Maiby it is possilbe to cross promoto some ads if you know what i mean.
Xfires ad on TMs website and TMUFs ad on Xfires website.
Its like an ad exchange, but just for both parties for free.
Last edited by gerbiepiep on 14 Dec 2010 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Merlin » 14 Dec 2010 10:11

NADEO want´s to make "Forver" last longer. Due to missed revenues of
"Nations Forever" there had to be some changes.

OK- thats the current status and can´t be ignored.

I´ve some ideas for improvement:

1. Many player won´t buy United Forever - so why don´t let them buy a
Nations Forever-Version
?
2. If you want to sell more items of United Forver, you´ve to let the the
players catch a glimpse of the wonderland ( Function / Fun on Private
Servers )
3. The FreeZoneServers are like "Sodom and Gomorrah" - you have to take
some actions here.

Topic 1 - Let them buy, what they want!

In Jan. 2006 you´ve released the "costfree" Trackmania Nation ESWC and
people loved it very much. In these days a special version of TM ESWC was
placed at the shops for about 10 €. With this version the players where able to
drive with costums skins and avatars. This ( very few ) extraoptions motivated many players to buy it.

Why don´t you make something equal with TMNF? I´ve read so much related stuff here.
Many Trackmaniacs want to play only the Stadium-Envi!
Put another Link on the Startpage of TMNF and sign it with "Buy Trackmania
Nations Forever Extended Version".
Add some more features like:

- Complete access to all Servers
- Coppers enabled
- Costum Avatars, Skins and Cars
- Removed "Nag-Screens" concerning "Buy the full version".

Crunsh this in a Downloadfile, sell it for 5 to 10 € - And the people will
buy!

Topic 2: Catch a glimpse!

In Aprl 2008 you´ve given a great "free game" to the community. The game
was ( is! ) so fullfilled with features, that nearly nobody had
requirements to buy a "full version".
IMHO the "FreeZone-System" should have been implented in Nations Forver on
Releasedate, in that case nobody could have ignored the "Buy United
Forever" for 2 years...

Ok.. now is now:
You would like to have more costumers, but in this days you annoy the "old"
players of Nations. Let´s try to get around, with some adjustments:

If you want to sell something, you have to show Alice a little bit of the
"Wonderland" ^^

Hundreds of FreeZone-Server are spamming the InGame-Serverlist. Why dont
you seperate them from the private servers?
Just put another two entrys on the left menu and call it "FreeZone" and
"NonFreeZone".
If a player clicks on "FreeZone" he will get a complete List of all
FreeZone-Servers and a hint.

A picture says a thousand words ( Just knocked the graphic together -as you
see i´m not a graphic artist :) )

If a player clicks on "NonFreeZone", he will be welcomed with some text and
catch a glimpse of the Wonderland: Thousends of private servers with
players all over the world.
The first servers should be the "Copper-Servers" Florent talked about. This
servers should have a TAG like "FreeForAll". If a user clicks on a
"Non-FreeForAll" Server he should be prompted to a FAQ "how to add the
Server to the Favorit list".

If you do so, nobody will be nagged with the FreeZoneServers and will be
curious "whats behind the curton"....

Topic 3: "Sodom and Gomorrah"

I´ve visisted the FreeZone-Server several times in the past few days. It
was horrible!

The chat is barbaric, rude and it seems that much racists are playing! I
don´t know much about the french law.. But in german the operator is
responsible for what is "done on the server".
I´m a father...if i see such attitude in a game - i will forbid my kids to
join a game with that kind of language. It´s brutal - please join YOUR
servers from time to time to visualize what i mean.

Additionally there are much cheaters on the servers. Why dont you simply
take one of the great Serverplugins coded from the Community and put it on
the servers?
If you have no capabilities to be on watch, let the plugins be your
guard! For instance in XAseco, FAST and LIVE are "BadWords-Plugins" and
"AntiCheat-Plugins" ( the best is to put a plugin with "Dedimania", which
had AntiCheat-Measures implented ).

The current FreeZone-Servers are killing one of the basic concepts of Trackmania:
Nonviolent, chummy, pacific driving of UNITED people all over the world, whatever their relegion, skincolor or age is..

From my point of view, you haven´t much time. TOP 1 and 2 can wait until
Jan 2011.
But: TOP 3 MUST CLEARED IMMEDIATELY to provide something safe for the
kids playing Trackmania over the holidays.

Sincerly

Merlin
Last edited by Merlin on 14 Dec 2010 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

theDutchone
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by theDutchone » 14 Dec 2010 10:40

Hello there Nadeo,

I would like to thank you for such a marketing tool, in order to finish this community before the 2nd/3rd quarter of 2011. After that you'll have all the eyes on you to release Trackmania 2. And this will work because, at least at the stadium-environment, this game stays alive due to fresh blood by gamers that use the free edition. Now you made it harder (not impossible) for non-payers to enter the community and the whole game will be affected.

If I was a company like you, i probably would do the same thing so i am not suprised. However, I am not you, im just a consumer. And the basics of a consumer is: "I want to have everything and I want to pay nothing", due to our authorities that rape our wallets. It is very interesting to see that some people here say "just buy it, coz you used this game for many years and had a lot of fun with it." Well, the answer is clear, No. Since when is history important for a consumer? If I want to buy something, I want it now and take a glance to the future. History is empty. Would you pay Google for their search engine because you made use of it? If you think that 'using a game for several years' is relevant for a consumer, I think Nadeo did a good job with their commercializing/marketing. You became a slave and that's a wet dream for a company.

However, I would like to apply for a job within Nadeo if you (Florent) tell me that:
"We have been informed really late by our partner that they are shutting down our contracts, and we now have to quickly adapt."
Im terribly sorry, but how worse is the situation if financial and marketing managers didnt see this coming? Do you have room for a manager? You announced the Freezone-thing just a few days before the change. Wow, what a bad planning or lack of attention. We all know that there are Contracts or Appointments between companies and you know when they expire. It is also a bit weird that you allready had a solution with the Freezone-servers instead of closing everything down. This smells like pure marketing, as I mentioned before.

I am not saying that I hate Nadeo or whatever, I still love you because you gave me and many others a good time with this game. You decided to make a change, and changing is the main goal of marketing. I am not leaving Trackmania for now, but you made it harder to 'keep the soul alive'. I have to say that I really dislike the way of communication to your costumers/consumers. Also by letting us know that you need constructive ideas. Ok, who's the manager? You or we? Just admit that this is a way to shut down this version of Trackmania and continue with a future edition, called Trackmania 2.

Badwolf2
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMNF

Post by Badwolf2 » 14 Dec 2010 11:00

Ok so as i read it you guys had to "change" the free accounts because you are no longer receiving revenue from advertising, is that about it in a nutshell?
So then, obviously i've missed something in all these replies, (bit slow) but can someone please explain, in words of three syllables or less, why this should prevent those that choose to play with the free account from connecting to our clan servers which are privately hosted, and do not now, nor never have had advertising on them.??
Or is thedutchone correct in his assumption??

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Dec 2010 11:07

@Badwolf2: They have made measures available for us "clans" in this circumstance, try reading the Freezone FAQ topic for the info you need to do this. (basically set server to hide, and join via TMTP link).

Hope that helps,

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 14 Dec 2010 13:13

Setting it to hide=1 also hides it from United players. Why should United players who want to drive Stadium servers also be disadvantaged by this change? I tried setting hide=2 which should only hide it from Nations players and leave it visible to United players, but then it needs Nations players to add to favourites to join again.
tmforum3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27236&p=187726#p187726

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Dec 2010 13:15

Mort wrote:Setting it to hide=1 also hides it from United players. Why should United players who want to drive Stadium servers also be disadvantaged by this change? I tried setting hide=2 which should only hide it from Nations players and leave it visible to United players, but then it needs Nations players to add to favourites to join again.
Hi Mort, yup i agree totally, and well suggested.

Give them some time to digest the information and the way this will all work. Hopefully they will include this consideration. If all the nations servers are hidden from united players this would indeed complicate things for the future, and would also make the united/nations merge that was forever completely pointless (as the idea is to allow united players to freely browse nations servers).

Here's hoping :thumbsup:, Lets see what the team have in store for us. :D

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 14 Dec 2010 13:25

Florent has already said nothing is likely to be done/changed until the end of January... if they are to busy to implement a change like this properly then they should have waited until *after* christmas to make the change. As it stands now it's hard not to believe this is just a stunt to boost sales and try to get people to buy United for Christmas.

Meanwhile I'm running empty servers. Patience is something I have. I can wait, but not "Forever".

Knutselmaaster
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMO/TMN/TMNF/TMU
Manialink(s): intr

Post by Knutselmaaster » 14 Dec 2010 13:33

Mort wrote:Setting it to hide=1 also hides it from United players. Why should United players who want to drive Stadium servers also be disadvantaged by this change? I tried setting hide=2 which should only hide it from Nations players and leave it visible to United players, but then it needs Nations players to add to favourites to join again.
tmforum3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27236&p=187726#p187726
+1
That is exactly my opinion.
What is happening now, is that nations and united players are not playing on the same servers, so nations players won't see custom skins, avatars etc.
The reason for most people that play only stadium to buy united (the bigger part of united players only play stadium, i'm very sure about that) is that they want to be individual by means of personalised content.
New players won't even know that now, as united players will certainly not go into freezone servers....
Making the hide=2 possible will allow teams to survive and nations and united players play together, while players that already payed for united don't loose anything.
So the argument of "buy tmu to get the serverbrowser" will still be actual, as nations players will still have the inconvenience that they need to visit a server to know if someone is in there.
Plus it will create the "i want united because i want a custom car/avatar/horn" because nations players will see united players who have those things.

Enabling this will not be a difficult thing at all, so no need to wait until January!

Edit:
I even think this will be better than before for teams, as their nations members will play in the teams servers more often, because it is a pain in the *ss for them to find other servers they like, with people they know in it, and when they get fed up with playing on the same old teamservers all the time they will want to buy united to broaden their horizons.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 14 Dec 2010 14:00

"I even think this will be better than before for teams, as their nations members will play in the teams servers more often, because it is a pain in the *ss for them to find other servers they like, with people they know in it, and when they get fed up with playing on the same old teamservers all the time they will want to buy united to broaden their horizons."

Nice to see some positives found in this, and if only i could have had that persuasive measure earlier in the teams days (nations has allways been hard to keep a team together consitently, tmnf loyalty is somthing hard to come by (allthough there are many nice, loyal people of course)).

Alinoa
Developer
Developer

Post by Alinoa » 14 Dec 2010 14:40

@ Merlin I reply to your PM regarding the freezone moderation. We know that we have to improve this and are working on moderation tools. There are ingame tools that you can already activate as the parental lock in the "configuration" menu of the game launcher. You can also disable the chat in the profile menu.
Thank you to all to keep on being constructive :wink:
To add a server in your favorit list, copy this link in your game’s browser address bar
tmtp://#addfavourite=serverlogin

For direct hosting open to all, write <hide_server>1</hide_server> in the command line and use
tmtp://#join=serverlogin