FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

mihailovicb
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN TMU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by mihailovicb » 09 Dec 2010 21:25

And how someone can add in game if he canot join server lol ?

NPC Black
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by NPC Black » 09 Dec 2010 21:25

Im united player.. but as a result of this situation... uninstalling TM... Played it for more than 2 years... but.. this is just SICK what you did to us... I have a severals servers... and now it will be empty... why.. because you just decided... in one second...
very very very bad idea...
watch statisticks... you will lose a lot of players...

you destroyed whole game

DeathDriver
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMNF, TMUF

Post by DeathDriver » 09 Dec 2010 21:25

ouf... was hard to keep up the reading with guys posting.

I am kinda out of the Community by now, but I hope my word is still important to you, florent, at least a little bit.
I do not want to repeat all the things from this thread, so basically:

- Regarding the eSport competitions JWH basically said everything I could say. To be honest I agree 100% to his posts - reread them!
- Regarding the casual Gamers I most liked this post by Haxxie: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27226&start=75#p186686
You should reread that one.

These are the future problems of Trackmania now, which will definitely be very worse in many points like
"number of players who are starting to play the game"
"number of players who stick in the game because they love it"
"number of players who start playing competitions, because they heard of it ingame"
"number of players who start playing trackmania because they heard of it on the ESL page or on ESL TV"
"number of players who spectate matches on relay servers"
"number of players who buy the game, because they love it and want to explore tmu"

I know you can not do a lot against it, but a solution is to be found very soon and if you need my help for anything (opinions, ideas, doings, etc) you are free to contact me. You have my Skype account.

Regards,
DeathDriver, former ESL Head Admin

giu
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: tm?

Post by giu » 09 Dec 2010 21:26

Sorry, Flo, but this sounds like: "Yes, we are broke!"

I am not informed about how much money (from Microsoft's ingame advertising crap) and how much costs (on your side) we're talking here. And i simply do not care at all.
I never looked at any advertisement during the game and i guess most other player never cared about them ads. So it's hard to believe we are talking about a lot of money here.
But if you are missing that Microsoft-money so much to make these radical changes, go ahead! Keep doing whatever you think is right! This will surely increase your income and lower your costs. It is on the other hand affecting hundreds of thousands non-paying-players in a very very bad, unfair and unacceptable way.

Good luck to all Nadeo-workers for their future. I do not have much hope for your company! This is simpy not they way to treat the people that helped you getting the game to where it is!

By the way??? How long have we been promised a TM2??? A game that i would have been paying for since it promised to be much more than just a simple facelift, that TMNF was compared to ESWC. But surely TMNF was made to make more money and therefore ESWC had to go. Now TMNF had to go and TMNpay is here to make more money out of the same old game. TM2? Where is it at?

As a company it is cool to make money, but don't tell us we are going to buy the same game again... bring out TM2 and make it not-free, anything else seems to be a quite hopeless attempt to save the game.

Your company's policies suck in a big way!
Last edited by giu on 09 Dec 2010 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

----GLUK----
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: all

Post by ----GLUK---- » 09 Dec 2010 21:27

Is there any command to add favorite server via command line?

Tensk
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Tensk » 09 Dec 2010 21:29

This is ridiculous.

Florent, you and your staff are watching it from the money point of view, and you are not even being good for yourselves.

Nobody wants you to work for nothing, that's for sure. I don't want you to do what I wouldn't want for me. That's out of the question.

The thing here is that you've screwed it all. You've had a community growing along these years, a thankful one I'd say, that has also inverted in the game, since your "free-non-paying-gamers" are kind of an inversion in publicity, I don't know how profitable, but that's it.

Now, from one day to another, you spoil it all. You've taken your decissions, which is nice since it's your job, your work, your life, but I think you've not given a damn about what the community thinks. And your comments, Florent, make me believe it more strongly if possible.

You said:

"If some players hates us because we had to change the model because the in game advertising industry changed, it is more their problem"

It's really sad you think and say so.

If anyone is "hating" you, is because you've given no warning, you've not given a damn about what the faithful community thinks, you've have not even thought of asking the community, here at the forums for example, about ideas for this situation. You've just decided on your own (again, it's your right to do it, even if you're wrong) to change the model with no prior warning, making many of us unable to play on their own servers. It's simply stupid, surreal.

Do you really, I mean, REALLY, think that this kind of move, which certainly is not a probe of love for your users, will make your income increase? really? do you think a general stampede of users, which will certainly not talk any good about you, make new users come play TM? really?

From any point of view, do you REALLY think your move was the correct one? do you think so? think again.

I would surely buy the game if it worked properly for me (it doesn't, look for my nick in the tech. support forum to know what I mean if you feel like), but it doesn't, so I'm sure I'm not buying this.

It's not about changing the model, it's about how you treat your potential customer. Is it really that hard to understand?

Thank you for your time.

Tensk.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 21:29

w1lla wrote:what does your employees say about this problem.

all i read in this topic are allegations no solutions.

If there is help needed by the community Florent please tell so, would love to help find a solution as this game is for me fun and entertaining and understanding communication.

@ mihailovich it must be done ingame not on playerpage.
first help may to explain how to add a favorite server and remove it from the player page and also to say that players can make this as much as they want

at the moment, I opened a topic to see if current competitions needs help. I have a lot of tricks in my hat to help them, but I can't know what to do if I don't know the real problems.

giu
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: tm?

Post by giu » 09 Dec 2010 21:31

NPC Black wrote:Im united player.. but as a result of this situation... uninstalling TM... Played it for more than 2 years... but.. this is just SICK what you did to us... I have a severals servers... and now it will be empty... why.. because you just decided... in one second...
very very very bad idea...
watch statisticks... you will lose a lot of players...

you destroyed whole game

well yeah they are going to loose us non-payers. but that is their plan! this will save some traffic costs. intersting to know would be, how many paying-players will remain, when the game is almost empty?

Hotrod
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Hotrod » 09 Dec 2010 21:32

Florent wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Your idea is to convert free to paying, if they want to play on privately hosted servers? Isnt this very shaky buinessplan - since you can't control, or give any insentive to the hosting person to provide this service for you? I could argue that - why would'nt you pay me a share of your income, for providing that service to you, if you now want money from players that play on my 4 servers. Am I way off here? Have you really thought this through?
the online service of Nadeo is free as much as server from player. The game is a paying one, but we are running a service since years, with people behind and have no income on this. There could be evolution and I am working on arrangement to enable players to make their own advertising on their servers, but as far as we are.. we are in the same boat: no revenues for our online servers. On my side, I have a lot of high qualified people to pay on a daily basis. On players side, there is great efforts and creativeness and we acknowledge this. But we need to combine our efforts to find a better solution, not destroy it. Closing Nations is not a solution for example.
How do we combine our efforts? thats a question I think "we" should have had figured out before this. because your are right, there is 2 parties here, the creativity part and the business part. I think you made a misstake not including the community (creativity) to help finding the solution here. I would say that the community would had been very very eager to help you solve this together with you. But unfortunally, it seems that the one that would be your best allied to solve this, now reacts with anger on your desition. I hope its not to late.
Last edited by Hotrod on 09 Dec 2010 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 21:33

Florent wrote:
w1lla wrote:what does your employees say about this problem.

all i read in this topic are allegations no solutions.

If there is help needed by the community Florent please tell so, would love to help find a solution as this game is for me fun and entertaining and understanding communication.

@ mihailovich it must be done ingame not on playerpage.
first help may to explain how to add a favorite server and remove it from the player page and also to say that players can make this as much as they want

at the moment, I opened a topic to see if current competitions needs help. I have a lot of tricks in my hat to help them, but I can't know what to do if I don't know the real problems.
Well on the playerpage you can't add Favourite servers only ingame or through your browser.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Haxxie
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Haxxie » 09 Dec 2010 21:35

Here's another quick thought; Offer server hosting. The only way to host a server could be to rent it from Nadeo. If you make it cost, say, $12/month or so this would pretty much be the same as what it costs to keep your own dedicated server running (just counting the electrical bill). Some people may oppose to this as well, but I think it's alot prettier than what's going on right now.

xai
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU(F),TMN(F)
Manialink(s): xai

Post by xai » 09 Dec 2010 21:35

I thought of 2 solutions for this stupid problem:
1. Analyse how trackmania fetches the server list, and publish that list on a site(with direct join links) and regulary update it.
2. Make a plugin for xaseco/fast etc. that regulary sends an update to a central website, that site than shows a list of all connected server with join link.
Weeeeeeeeeeee

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 09 Dec 2010 21:35

giu wrote: well yeah they are going to loose us non-payers. but that is their plan! this will save some traffic costs. intersting to know would be, how many paying-players will remain, when the game is almost empty?
TMU is managing just fine without any non-paying players around to boost server player counts... :D

Ionian
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN

Post by Ionian » 09 Dec 2010 21:37

I'm a united player, have been for years, and so this won't affect me a lot. If anything, it might mean more people pay for the game and start playing united - this could be a positive thing in the mid to long term for united as a game.

If I understand correctly, the problem is the lost revenue from in-game advertising. Nadeo need a new way to make money from TMNF. Some possible solutions could be:
Find an alternative in-game ad company
Make the game supported by micro-transactions (pay for adding servers to your favourite list - 99c per slot etc)
Show a small selection of populated random non-nadeo servers (suggest 3?) that changes with each log in to give players a chance to add different servers to their favourites and show the diversity of the game
Make a big push with in-game ads for buying united - in a similar way to the TM Wii ad, and other in-game ads
Ensure that relay servers for community organised large competitions are accessible

I am not naieve enough to think that any of the above is easy, or wouldn't cost Nadeo money (in staff hours if nothing else) - but I am trying to be constructive.

No one likes change; but as someone pointed out before, Nadeo is a business that needs to make money. If everyone keeps playing TMNF, there will be less incentive to buy TM2 when it comes out as this will not be free. I wonder if this is a worry at Ubisoft, but I accept the reasons we have been given for this change...

goenisch
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMN

Post by goenisch » 09 Dec 2010 21:37

xai wrote:I thought of 2 solutions for this stupid problem:
1. Analyse how trackmania fetches the server list, and publish that list on a site(with direct join links) and regulary update it.
2. Make a plugin for xaseco/fast etc. that regulary sends an update to a central website, that site than shows a list of all connected server with join link.
two nice solutions to solve this problem !!!