Question on Importing

Find here all the Vehicles of the Community. For more vehicles you can go on Trackmania Carpark: http://www.trackmania-carpark.com

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Drakonovich
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN ESWC

Question on Importing

Post by Drakonovich » 29 Feb 2008 19:53

I was wondering if there would be a way to import skins from games that are not racing oriented like the Battlefield series. (I would really like to zoom around in one of those APCs! :twisted: )

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: Question on Importing

Post by Gording » 29 Feb 2008 22:03

Drakonovich wrote:I was wondering if there would be a way to import skins from games that are not racing oriented like the Battlefield series. (I would really like to zoom around in one of those APCs! :twisted: )
There is no limit (beyond sizing) to what the model shape is, with a few things to bear in mind. Only 4 wheels rotate, and there is no way a track can move with tanks and APC's. How to get other games into TM is another problem, but Zmodeler 1 & 2 can import an amazing amount of other games' formats, and then once you've sized them and placed them properly into a positions that work for TM (there are some files on the Trackmania Carpark tutorials that can assist you with that), you export them as 3DS files, that TM Launcher's Help options may convert to it's own proprietory GBX format.

Which brings me to the last. Not every game uses a format that can be imported, as those models and textures are copyrighted. So the best place to look if you want to try and convert and mess about with vehicles for other games is to pick a game that has a wide user base who are constantly adding more vehicles to a standard game. The Need For Speed and Grand Theft Auto series have long lists of user created add on vehicles. If you contact their creators, they may allow you to import their vehicles for TM use, as long as you include a text file in the car zip that details the original creator, and use, and location.

Also if you search the web for "free 3DS vehicles" you'll find many many sites that include non-copyrighted shapes, and vehicles, that can allow you to get your feet wet, before you dive in.

It's important to read a lot of site forums, app help guides (there are many videos of 3D apps in use on YouTube as well), as 3D is not very easy to learn. However, modifying another game vehicle is sometimes a little less difficult...so start off with something simple...don't go for high detail and complexity if you're learning! :shock: Remember, search...all questions have been asked and answered (except : "what is the meaing of life?") up and down the web.