Edit custom car

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

FaHa
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Edit custom car

Post by FaHa » 17 Feb 2009 18:20

Hi,

I am new to using new cars and was wondering if it is possible to paint over custom cars which I have DL'ed from this site? I am wanting to add a few bits of text to a car I downloaded earlier.

Is this possible?

If so, can you point me in the direction of some intructions on how to do this.

Thanks,

FaHa

FaHa
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Re: Edit custom car

Post by FaHa » 17 Feb 2009 18:53

ok from reading forums I have got as far as editing the diffuse.dds file but after I had done that I can only see the text I have added when I look at it from the front. Its as if it needs the right lighting on it. Any ideas?

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: Edit custom car

Post by Gording » 18 Feb 2009 00:35

The trick you are after is the "Alpha Channel" in the DDS.

This is a 256 shade black and white image. Basically the alpha channel assigns various levels of shine to parts of the painted skin. The darker the shade (black is completely non-shiny and matt) the less the shine, but the more the vibrant the associated colour becomes. The whiter the shade, the more shine, but the more difficult it is to see as it bouncing environmental light back. You can actually see this quickly by applying a sticker to a car body in the game painter.

Set the shine level all the way up (right) to make it as shiny as possible, and the colour of the sticker isn't very bright. However, slide the shine option down the the lowest (left) in the painter, and the sticker colours are vibrant and leap off the screen.

Load your Diffuse into whatever applications you are using, and turn the text colour in the alpha all the way down to black. However be warned, the effect of the alpha channel, is dependent on the graphics shader settings each player uses. For best effects use either of the PC3 shader choices in the game launcher advanced options menu. :thumbsup:

Good luck.