Green Light Reflection on any Skin

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

S|Lv3R
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Green Light Reflection on any Skin

Post by S|Lv3R » 24 Apr 2008 19:52

Greetings, fellow skinners..

i just started playing with skinning and customizing, and have encountered a slight issue:

whatever color my skin is, the sunlight reflections are always greenish - is there any way to change it, so it fits the skin color?

example:

"greenish" reflection

..but non-green skin.. :(

any suggestions, where i could change this?

EDiT: hmm i thought i might just as well show you this skin from the oher perspectives too and maybe get some feedback 8)

top view...

..and left side

theres still much left to do, but its the first skin which i feel is good enough to show in public :?

Retodon8
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMU(F), TM2:C
Manialink(s): Retodon8

Re: Green Light Reflection on any Skin

Post by Retodon8 » 24 Apr 2008 21:36

Graffiti car! :)
It's hard to see, but perhaps the problem is that the skin is too shiny (specular).
It's possible to decrease its specularity, but I'm not sure if it's that easy.

In-game in the car painter there's a slider gadget; more to the left means less shiny.
I recall the applied skin being immediately reset once you use that slider, so perhaps that's not so useful.

Alternatively you can use a program like Photoshop to change the skin's alpha channel (an extra layer of texture, normally "invisible", just to change the shininess).
What SP shows as bright white is shiny, black not at all, shades of grey in-between.
Яєזσםση8
ImageImage

S|Lv3R
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by S|Lv3R » 25 Apr 2008 14:16

ok, it seems i solved the problem by adding a proper customcoloured Ilum.dds into the .zip

i just opened one of the carpark-models which did not show such green shine.. :wink:

the specular is white as it should be, and messing with the alpha channel did not seem the right approach, since you only can change the intensity this way, and not the colour..

EDiT: hmm seems i was wrong.. still working on it.. :(
EDiT.v.2: i begin to think its the general environmental lighting.. not really affectable by the car settings, be it either skin or individual shadow/reflection mapping...

Mac Matrix
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN and TMU. :)

Post by Mac Matrix » 25 Apr 2008 15:55

S|Lv3R wrote:EDiT.v.2: i begin to think its the general environmental lighting.. not really affectable by the car settings, be it either skin or individual shadow/reflection mapping...
With the car shine on maximum you get a nice metallic paint effect in the painter, but in-game in Day lighting there's a rather ugly-looking stadium reflection on the car.

The only way I can suggest to help is to edit the file in Photoshop and change the alpha layer to a light/medium gray. It'll sort of ruin the metallic effect but it should hide the environment reflection a little better.

Either that, or find the file which controls the reflection on cars in PC2 and PC3 and edit it. It's one of those damn Mood files.

Btw - Nice car skin.
System Specs

AMD Phenon 9950 @ 2.85 Ghz
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 mobo
250GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GTX275 Super Overclock Edition
Logic 3 USB Rumble Pad
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Mac Matrix: Author of the TMN Neon Craze

S|Lv3R
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by S|Lv3R » 25 Apr 2008 16:39

this confirms what i have come to suspect, thanks Mac..

EDiT(28.04): So, i removed the greenish reflection finally, but only by blackening the alpha channel completely.. just greying doesnt help :(

gonna try and look for those omimous mood files then.. *sigh*