Custom signs

Find here all the tracks of the Community. For more tracks you can go on Trackmania Exchange : http://www.tm-exchange.com

Moderator: TM-Patrol

ObiTwo
highway camper
highway camper

Custom signs

Post by ObiTwo » 02 May 2006 10:50

Crusard wrote:
To use your own signs you need an image. For large signs the size I usually use 280x140 to ensure an instant download, but some trackmakers go as big as 512x256 (It's always 2 : 1 ratio). Small resolutions don't look that bad in the game. Small signs should have 1/4 of those dimentions.
The image format should be .jpg (I think dds works too) for images and .bik for videos and animations.
If you want other people to see these signs, you need to host them at an internet location. I think freewebs allows file linking so it's ok for images, but I'd recommend your own reliable ftp server.
Once you uploaded them somewhere on the net, you just have to copy the URL of the file and paste it when using the "Paint pot" tool ("Select URL" option).
If a green sign appears, it can either mean that your file is being downloaded, or that it's too big (in size or resolution) or the URL just doesn't work.
I tried this but it is not working :( . For some reason I don't see my custom sign. The image is 280x140 and is in jpg format. I placed it on our clan server and when I browse to the image I see the image. I copied that URL and pasted it in the editor as described above. But I only see a standard sign. Even when I validate the track, saved it, upload it to our server and play the track online I don't see the image just a standard sign. The sign is not green so it looks like noting is saved in the track.
When I open the track in WordPad I can see that the track is using a jpg image (something like Any\Advertisement\image.jpg at the top of the file). I also see (somewhere at the bottom) the URL to our server so it must be saved. Why is this not working? What am I doing wrong?
This problem occurs in TMS and TMN. We don't have a dedicated TMS server so that is not completely tested.

Please help...

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 02 May 2006 13:51

So when you select the URL in the track editor you get the Green sign?

Let's try this... paste the following URL into your sign: http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/rebel ... change.jpg

If that works, then there's a problem with the server you're hosting the file from. If that doesn't work, there might be a problem with your Trackmania accessing the internet, or you might be doing something wrong...

ObiTwo
highway camper
highway camper

Post by ObiTwo » 02 May 2006 22:00

Thanks a lot. Your link is working. :3

In TMS I can see the image immediately. In TMN I must first validate en save the track.

In the next test I placed your image on our clan server and my own server. I created a simple track in TMN with 3 signs.
The 1st with a link to your URL. The 2nd with a link to our server. The 3rd with a link to my own server.

For some reason only your link works :?. I don't get a green sign. I see just a default sign. And i qoute:
If that works, then there's a problem with the server you're hosting the file from.
I don't understand this. I can browse with the explorer to all 3 pages. I can download the images on every URL. Do you have any idea what's wrong with these servers? They both uses IIS 6.0. If you don't know than that's fine. You helped me a lot.

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 03 May 2006 01:33

Hmmm, give me the links to your signs, I'll try to figure out what's wrong with them...

ObiTwo
highway camper
highway camper

Post by ObiTwo » 03 May 2006 09:59

Thanks for all the info but the problem is solved. I removed IIS and installed Apache on my server. Everything is working fine now.
There is nothing wrong with the images. I do everything correct. Microsoft is doing everything wrong... Thanks Mr. Bill Gates

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 03 May 2006 17:25

:lol:

daPet
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO TMN TMU

Post by daPet » 20 May 2006 12:31

I seem to have the same problem. I do not host it myself, my provider does that. I hosted files locally and remotely, filled in a url. It all works on my pc but nobody seems to see them.

This is one of the pictures.
It's 256x128 px and < 12 kb.

My best guess is that ~ in the url is the bad guy in here.

I'd rather not host these files on some free webspace, while i have perfect webspace of my own?
Can someone confirm the ~ does this?
Please visit my Nations server XS4TMN and have racing fun!

[RFR]DaD
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU, TM2c, TM2s

Re: Custom signs

Post by [RFR]DaD » 09 Aug 2008 18:18

Something else to consider is that some webhosts have enabling files to be seen, posted off of their site disabled, to avoid parasitic bandwidth abuse. Based on what you've said so far, that would be the first thing I would check/ask your webhost.

Oh my, im only about 2 years too late on this response...lol.

jennyjohnson
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO
Manialink(s): dadas

Re: Custom signs

Post by jennyjohnson » 04 Apr 2011 06:19

I visited your mentioned url. It is very best and superb link for getting best guide about custom sings. Related links are awesome and nice to share with us.