The TrackMania universal forum ^_^
It is currently 24 Mar 2017 03:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: First Impressions...
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010 13:03 
highway camper
highway camper

Owned TM-games: Trackmania United
The graphics are a decent down-port that still looks nice enough, the interface is slick, there is offline and 6 player online multiplayer and leaderboards, a ton of tracks and skins to unlock, the full track editor, and seemingly everything that makes TM great.

Then you find out that players cannot actually download custom tracks outside official DLC and friend-only (using the friend code system with a game specific code, not even taking advantage of developments that allow the use of the system's own code and friend list seen in newer games) sharing.

The Wii is not a PC, users can't just hop on a website and download custom content, so by not building a backend to support uploading and downloading custom tracks from any user, ranked by popularity, ratings, themes, type, etc, like EA's Boom Blox Bash Party for Wii did over a year ago (this uses a similar track creation so the transferred files are really tiny, just including the positioning of the various track pieces you use), Firebrand have effectively ripped off half the game's heart and appeal.

I was hyped for this even after learning the Bay theme was absent, but without the ability to easily get and compete worldwide on custom tracks, I'm not. This is a shame as almost everything else seems spot-on, you can even upload ghosts for high scores, though there's also no Country selection/ranks, and some other things.

I just can't believe Nadeo allowed a port of TM without this critical component.

My 2 cents, the reason I won't be buying it at launch price, if at all, and the reason I'll be telling friends to stick with Nations or get United for cheap.

Don't blame the Wii audience if this doesn't sell so well, the game is still good but it has lost half its point of existence for many (and barely anyone knows it's out)...

Post subject: Re: First Impressions...
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010 05:34 
cyclist
cyclist

Owned TM-games: TMU, TMDS
That's unfortunate. I'll probably still buy it when it gets released in the US, but I was really expecting racing on tracks made by other people on online. I did'nt care if it was just six players, I don't want to race on just Firebrand tracks. Too bad that can't be fixed with an update. At least it HAS online unlike the DS (well, the first one), but this is the Wii. It's a step foreward at least. As long as the second best part is in it (which would be the editor) I'm fine.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010 11:14 
highway camper
highway camper

People have found other issues with it, like there's no gravity pull when you race on sideways tracks so the car never falls even if you aren't going very fast. I was suspicious of that but didn't play enough to confirm it. You can see it here. Hopefully the US version is fixed (doubtful) because this doesn't cut it... Wtf, Firebrand/Nadeo?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010 14:58 
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Don't see a problem with that, because this isn't a realistic game (you maybe understand it when you look at loops and such stuff). It's just an interesting development for building maps.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010 15:46 
highway camper
highway camper

Huh? TrackMania on PC is not realistic but you need speed and skill to stay on tracks shaped like that, yet this port takes part of that element away and makes those sections less interesting to drive through since so no other forces affect you. It makes the handling feel wrong and less fun, it doesn't give any new possibilities to track creation. TrackMania already has the craziest tracks in the industry, but it also has fun handling and physics, which sadly don't appear to have been fully ported here.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010 11:28 
highway camper
highway camper

Owned TM-games: Wii
I just got the Wii game having only played TM at a mates house a couple of years ago. Since I have a mac, this is my first opportunity to buy a game in the series. I'm very impressed and find it so much more fun than other racers. Especially the multiplayer. When the game gets a release in the states I expect the online play to get better as there are not enough Players yet.
I'm also happy enough with the hundred or so tracks included.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010 19:54 
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF, TMWii
Compared to the PC version the graphics and sound aren't as good (though there are some catchy tunes), it lacks the same vast level of accessible custom content and the multiplayer is unsupported (bad ladder system, <3000 players on the leaderboard).

That all said it is still TM and for me it is the best racing game on the Wii!

Interview with Alinoa of Nadeo
Unofficial Trackmania Trailer
Trackmania Wii Author Medal Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010 02:51 
pedestrian
pedestrian

Owned TM-games: TMWii, TMDS
I'm very happy with the game, but I haven't played much of the PC version so maybe I just don't know what I am missing.

While there are enough tracks, I do wonder why they didn't include more though. Surely the only limiting factor was room on the DVD?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010 17:25 
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

nebnosneh wrote:
While there are enough tracks, I do wonder why they didn't include more though. Surely the only limiting factor was room on the DVD?

Unlikely, the size of the tracks on the PC are typically <100kb. I have around 600 tracks on my hard-drive and they only take up about 15mb :D

My memory isn't great but I'm sure a few of the TM Wii tracks are from the PC version as well. Shame it isn't easier to download custom made tracks...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 09:19 
pedestrian
pedestrian

Owned TM-games: TMWii, TMDS
Yeah that's what I meant! Plenty of room on the DVD!

On the subject of downloadable tracks is there any kind of schedule for the new DLC?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010 18:11 
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

I'm still working my way through the solo tracks...actually feels like there is rather a lot of them! The author times are a bit erratic though: some are real easy to beat whilst on some other tracks less than 10 people have online records which are better than the author time :?

I've not played mutliplayer much but I've struggled to find people online to play with. Usually have to race with just one person who then quits once they realise they can't win :lol:

(hopefully sharing friend codes will help fix that!)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010 11:51 
pedestrian
pedestrian

Owned TM-games: TMWii
It's a great game. The only big problem is that people can't join races that are already on so it's sometimes under a lot of work to find people to race with.