tm² and controls

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

tm² and controls

Post by BLaHiTiS » 01 May 2011 20:21

Hello,

The question that has bugged me a few times for the past week is about "controls".

There will be a release of one environment at a time and I try to imagine how the control of the car will be. In previous TM's , there were always 3 environments at once (except for stadium), and they could always have their specialized controls and there was a flavor for everyone, the simulation feel of coast and rally, the arcadish feel of island, bay and snow, and something in between for speed and stadium...

I kinda wonder how it will be now that 1 environment is going to be the only one playable for a long time before the other arrives ? Will there be more focus on different way of arcade style ? Or is there still room for a control feeling that was very tactical in nature like coast ?

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

isamu
road tourist
road tourist

Re: tm² and controls

Post by isamu » 02 May 2011 05:55

I posted this at Mania Planet:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just wanted say thank you Guad for starting this topic! I couldn't agree more with everyone regarding why it is important for Nadeo to add TRUE force feedback support....not just rumble, for those of us with PC FFB wheels. A lot, and I mean A LOT of PC users are using FFB wheels nowadays to play all sorts of racing games! I don't think those people want to go back to using a joypad any time soon.

One of the threads in the main forum has a quote from an article, and the translated text seems to imply that the Canyon car will handle differently and will have a much heavier feel to it. In addition, the article seems to imply that the car will not only be fast, but the physics will focus on long drifts around corners that can be done with enough practice. That is VERY exciting news! If that is true, then the game really really REALLY needs proper force feedback support for wheels. Can you imagine how fun it would be performing long controlled drifts around custom tracks while fighting the forces in an FFB wheel? I get goosebumps just thinking about it, and it reminds of the arcade days when I used to play Daytona USA with an FFB wheel.

So please please please Nadeo....we are BEGGING you!!! Please put in proper Force Feedback support into Trackmania 2. We would all so very much appreciate this important request. Thanks for listening and have a nice day : :o

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 02 May 2011 17:38

:!: Did you read the original post? The topic doesn't have anything to do with what you're talking about.
It's about car handling, not actual game controls.

@BLaHiTiS
Some good points. It will be much harder to please everybody when you only have one kind of handling at a time. Hopefully Nadeo will find a way to have something for everyone in every environment. So far they haven't dissapointed IMHO. (I like all the TMU envirs - just some more than others).
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 03 May 2011 10:28

Yeah it is indeed hard to please all walks of TM life, there being a "shed load" that like the coast enviro (because it's slow and weigthy and gives more forgiving racing?) and a load of fast paced island/bay fenatics (that would be my favourite) ..along with the massive variations of TMN clans (FS/TEch etc)..

So there is indeed a LOT of people to cater for...

I personally admire all the parts of TM and even my "worst" (coast) is a very enjoyable gaming experience. ...i just hope the "new crowd" are as forgiving and patient :lol:

Looking forward to watching it build, and am hoping that this first one (looks a bit like a modern coast) will handle in such a way that it can least please the TMN crowd and the new "coast wave" that seem to have appeared from that playerbase.

I can wait for my "bay" replacment as long as is required ....i want another evil/fast/tricky environment with a lot of stuff and scenery to avoid and trip over! :thumbsup:

»Enryx«
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMF TMWii TM²C/S

Post by »Enryx« » 03 May 2011 20:01

I'm just hoping canyon won't have a desert-like control. Maybe it's because I drive with kb, but no way I can control desertcar

BLaHiTiS
lord of the roads
lord of the roads
Owned TM-games: tmu tmo tms tmn
Manialink(s): muxitis

Post by BLaHiTiS » 03 May 2011 22:26

well the thought I had about this was. if the environments in tm² are more being seen like episode, then I would figure that you need to have a control behavior that can appeal to the broadest audience possible. Maybe it's blasphemy of me to say but I can't imagine a coast type behavior having enough appeal to be in an environment that would be the only one playable for a long time.

Ofcourse in a game that has different "types" of driving feel where people can actually choose, there's something for everyone there.

As a game mode , it would be cool that that the control feel based on the car you select, but would not make sense for vanilla normal public race servers because it would be kinda unfair and everyone would try to eliminate their own handicap.

But anyway: Nadeo has surprised us already with inventive simulation/arcaddey "control feel" of the car in stadium!

• MB:Asus P8 H61
  • CPU:Intel i5 2400
  • RAM:8 Gb
  • GFX:Asus GTX-580 (1500mb DDR5) - Forceware 75.33
  • DirectX: June 2011
  • SND:Realtek HD on mobo
[/size]

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 04 May 2011 13:54

Indeed. So just let them surprise us again. I can have a lot of ideas, how this handling can be. But after my tries to analyse the trailers for the driving behaviour, i simply had to give up. Seems like something totally new, but it looks similar in many sections to TMU driving. But how you get TMU driving accessibly to a wide audience? I just don't know -_-