Sequentially Numbered Checkpoints

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

Lyian
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Sequentially Numbered Checkpoints

Post by Lyian » 11 Jan 2010 20:26

I tried toying with this in the current editor and its impossible. Currently, the game doesnt seem to care what order you hit the checkpoints, so long as you hit them all.

What i would like to see, is each checkpoint you lay, have a value assigned to it. That value would be the order in which a player would hit that checkpoint during the race.

This would Also allow multiple checkpoints to share the same value, thus allowing 'alternate routes'.

I tried to make an alternate route course, but the fact that you have to hit all checkpoints makes it nearly impossible to make an alternate route that forces players to run though all of it (i found points where i could cheat in mine.)

So this would be nice to see in the next installment.

Expack
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU

Re: Sequentially Numbered Checkpoints

Post by Expack » 11 Jan 2010 23:30

Seconded. This would really make things quite interesting, as well as open up some new possibilities, some of which I'm sure will come as a surprise to everyone!
Proud Member of the Shadow Crue
Co-Founder of the Shadow Crue's TMNF division

I'm radioactive, but still alive...

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 14 Jan 2010 21:43

i tried to find the old sunrise manual in English but failed..... however to you point of numbered CP's it was said in the manual that the aim of the game was not who is the fastest round the track but to find the fastest way from point A to point B while being sure to hit every checkpoint..... in other words if taking a short cut from the road = a better tim than folowin the road the you are smart and skilled compared to those who don't see the obvious
so if you added numbers to order the checkpoints then you are destroying what makes trackmania
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 15 Jan 2010 03:48

I find this idea awesome. Maybe to add the possibilty in the dedicated server? Such as
numbered_checkpoints=true
numbered_checkpoints=false
The first one could be used for league racing, while the second is used for normal servers.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 16 Jan 2010 12:41

tcq wrote:I find this idea awesome. Maybe to add the possibilty in the dedicated server? Such as
The first one could be used for league racing, while the second is used for normal servers.
this can only be true in the editor.... if you forced this on severs it would take programming on a huge scale simply because you would have to repeat the process on every track which would amount to 1000's of tracks.... you would also have to consider that the host does not no the layout and design of every track and would error in placing the numbers in on the correct CP
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 16 Jan 2010 14:15

What i meant was, that you number the cp's during the builduing, but decide on the server, if you expect the players to drive them accoring that way, or not. So it would just be a list of the cp's and their coordinates. While racing, then you send the cp time and the coordinates to the server and the server checks that list with the list out of the challenge data, when the players reaches the finish.

Expack
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU

Post by Expack » 16 Jan 2010 16:35

otmb;ripbox wrote:
tcq wrote:I find this idea awesome. Maybe to add the possibilty in the dedicated server? Such as
this can only be true in the editor.... if you forced this on severs it would take programming on a huge scale simply because you would have to repeat the process on every track which would amount to 1000's of tracks.... you would also have to consider that the host does not no the layout and design of every track and would error in placing the numbers in on the correct CP
Actually, ripbox, I don't think that server operators would have to worry about anything. Should Nadeo decide to add this functionality to TM2, I would imagine that they'd make it so that tracks can only be raced in one of two ways: classic (drive though all checkpoints in any order) and circuit (drive though all checkpoints in a certain order). I'd also imagine they'd make it readily visible when selecting a track which race mode the track was built in. Hopefully, they'd make it possible to sort tracks by their race mode so that server operators (and players), should they want only one kind of race mode, could readily distinguish between classic and circuit courses without having to look though each track's info.
Proud Member of the Shadow Crue
Co-Founder of the Shadow Crue's TMNF division

I'm radioactive, but still alive...

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 16 Jan 2010 22:13

here is a snip-it of what it says in the TMO manual
to drive from the start to the finish
as quickly as possible while passing through all the checkpoints (if any).
Many routes will get you to the finish line
so just bare this in mind when you talk of this
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

Retne
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF, TMDS

Post by Retne » 26 Apr 2010 13:13

I think it would be great to have this as an option.

Of the tracks I've driven most have little or no choice about the checkpoints' order. This includes TM created tracks. I have made one track that is free flow (one day I'll release some of the tracks I've made...), and while it's kinda fun, it's not as focused as I'd like.

If this is implemented I too would love the idea of two or more checkpoints sharing the same value, so basically being an either/or choice.

Basically, the game is geared towards driving through checkpoints in order, so let's just formalise that.

R

racemaster76
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMSX, TMN

Post by racemaster76 » 27 Apr 2010 06:22

To Retne:
How about all the freestyle and freeroam maps?, they won't be possible if they put THAT feature, I love Freeroam and Freestyle :cry:
Hello and again welcome to the Crapeture Spyence Entwitchment Farm!

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 27 Apr 2010 15:53

Then have it set as something you can put in in the editing process...don't force-code it in. But I would at least like to see larger "split-route" tracks that you could stick checks in the middle of as respawn points for nooby drivers (me) without having it mess up the race.
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

Retne
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF, TMDS

Post by Retne » 05 May 2010 14:57

racemaster76 wrote: How about all the freestyle and freeroam maps?, they won't be possible if they put THAT feature, I love Freeroam and Freestyle :cry:
Yeah, that's a good point, and basically I should have made it clear that I wanted this as an option, not to force all tracks to have checkpoints in order.

Personally I've only written one map that really makes use of any order, and even then it seems everyone finds the "best" order and just races that way, but I like to split and would love to give people a re-spawn point (and time check, which would be interesting with optional checkpoints). But for people with the skill to write a good "free" map, that option should still be there - I like the idea of finding other people trying to find their best route through a map.

There's some decisions to make for this which may get reasonably complicated. Timechecks is one thing to consider, as mentioned (I think just leave them as they are, misleading timechecks could just be part of the fun) and do the number of checkpoints need to match.

For example, if you split the course, would everyone have to go through the same number of gates. Be great if there could be following checkpoints:

2a, 2b,
3a, 3b,
4a,

(so no 4 for those that chose that route, the "b" route folk just skip to 5).

And also do they all have to be restart checkpoints (e.g. could the routes mix and match "normal" checkpoints with those that float in the air?)

But none of this is too hard to figure out.

Let's hope...

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Post by El Fuego » 01 Jun 2010 09:39

otmb;ripbox wrote:here is a snip-it of what it says in the TMO manual
to drive from the start to the finish
as quickly as possible while passing through all the checkpoints (if any).
Many routes will get you to the finish line
so just bare this in mind when you talk of this
In other words - find a cut to win. Isn't this something that Nations racers used to get annoyed about? And lead to a whole host of modified, anti-cut tracks. ;)
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking

Post by otmb;ripbox » 01 Jun 2010 18:48

no no no no no!!!! it nothing at all about finding short-cuts...... its about finding the fastest route between 2 points while passing through all the checkpoints (if any)
Nations n00bs have destroyed the rules of TM..... nothing but a bunch of free loading cry baby retards..... i so hope they don't make a free version of TM2!..... give them something better to cry about!

<--- thinks back to the days of TMS....... Happy times
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Post by El Fuego » 02 Jun 2010 08:15

So what's the difference between a cut (i.e. NOT following the defined track so as to take the quickest route between checkpoints) and what you describe? No matter how you try to word it, it is the same thing. ;)
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man