Upset About New System -- Why???

Here's the place to discuss anything related to TMF ladder ranking, special "ladder servers", rank limit rules and possible issues you might have with this system.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Bramble
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: Upset About New System -- Why???

Post by Bramble » 25 Nov 2008 19:27

princemichi wrote: can you explain me, why players like carl, Frostbeule, bergie and co not on top???
Well the ladder system is nothing to do with that. They aren't top of the ladder because they don't play the ladder. Ther play in tournaments both online and at LANs. They spend their TM time training, just playing on big points servers.

But seriously, have you guys forgotten about the old TMN ladder?
That was all about skill (who could leave the pc on boosting longest)... atleast its an improvement from that.

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Post by fordry » 25 Nov 2008 20:04

meh, all the points system does anyway is show who plays the right servers and stuff the most, there is a player on my team who is probably one of the fastest people in this game, and he is around 500,000 rank. Been saying it all along, the recs mean more than the points.

wilameta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Post by wilameta » 26 Nov 2008 04:34

And having fun is still the best reason to play.

princemichi
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: O, SX, N, NF, UF, 2

Post by princemichi » 26 Nov 2008 16:42

@ zooz: tmuf eventually, but not tmnf!!! :thumbsup:

princemichi
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: O, SX, N, NF, UF, 2

Post by princemichi » 26 Nov 2008 16:44

Bramble wrote:
princemichi wrote: can you explain me, why players like carl, Frostbeule, bergie and co not on top???
Well the ladder system is nothing to do with that. They aren't top of the ladder because they don't play the ladder. Ther play in tournaments both online and at LANs. They spend their TM time training, just playing on big points servers.

But seriously, have you guys forgotten about the old TMN ladder?
That was all about skill (who could leave the pc on boosting longest)... atleast its an improvement from that.

i knwo this loooooool....

but this ladder have for me to many "admin-bugs"!!!!

SpaceJocky
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by SpaceJocky » 01 Dec 2008 13:42

Zooz wrote:Then you're not fast enough or didn't play enough to get enough points to break into the top 100. Get over it...

Just pretend 90k is the top of the ladder then, I suppose.
But what about Time-Frame ?...Because I happen to work Weekends, I'm excluded ??

Thats gotta be my biggest gripe about the system. I either have to "Sleep-Drive" or skip work. Got up groggy last weekend and sleep drove the few races I managed to get in...(3 races, 2 Barely 7th's in my worst enviro's and one script error) :oops:

I'll never be number 1, I'm positive of that...But I think I'm top 100 material if given a fair shot, but having to make the choice between Life and TMUF isn't fair. "Sorry Boss, can't work then, gotta race my Video Game, pay me anyway ???", ya...That'll work.... :roflol:

More Slots, more time's might make it fairer, but for right now its only fair for those that happen to be able to race then.... :scene:
SpaaaaaaaceJockyyyyyyy,
Prounounced with much reverb.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 01 Dec 2008 18:10

Well, that is a problem of this system... It'd be tricky to solve it without making it more confusing though.

1. make more 3 hour 100k time periods - this wouldn't solve the problem, since the people who can play in every time slot would win

2. make more 3 hour 100k time periods but only allow players to win points in one: "omg it's 100k why am i not gaining any points" "omg i accidentally drove one map in another 100k timeslot, now i can't play any more 100k this week" "argh why are all those players who already played in another time slot taking up all the space on the server" etc. etc.
Basically, that would be confusing.

SpaceJocky
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by SpaceJocky » 01 Dec 2008 22:26

Ya know...

I do really like the new system except for the timing. If we could just get more slot availability over a longer time frame it might not be to bad for even me.

Making it 4 hours, and promoting enough servers to garantee 100+ available slots might make it just user friendly enough...(There are 1000's eligible to race these right ? 60 slots for 3 hours just isn't enough...)

Or one other timeframe, 12 hours off the current one. 10pm 1am Est. would be ducky for me ;-)) (+ more slots :-), always could use more servers/slots)

Even if someone could race in both times, so what...We all can. Better than excluding a bunch of folks all together because of locations or work habits ;-), At least I'd get one decent crack at it ;-))

GL with Solutions, it is SO VERY MUCH Better than what it was ;-))
SpaaaaaaaceJockyyyyyyy,

FoxShadow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Post by FoxShadow » 02 Dec 2008 10:59

Zooz wrote:2. make more 3 hour 100k time periods but only allow players to win points in one: "omg it's 100k why am i not gaining any points" "omg i accidentally drove one map in another 100k timeslot, now i can't play any more 100k this week" "argh why are all those players who already played in another time slot taking up all the space on the server" etc. etc.
Basically, that would be confusing.
Maybe will be confusing, but i think is the BETTER solution, because you can gain points in the days/time frame when you can play. And you will be really FREE to choose. This by controlling the time frames by accounts. And not by servers like now.
Maybe with some ingame message warning before you join a server like: "Warning! you are attemping to expend your weekly RoC points time frame for this week. Do you want to play ? YES NO" and "You was already expend your RoC time frame for this week, do you want play for fun anyway ? YES NO"

Also would be better if you can play on any day of the week, at any hour of the day. :D
But that would be difficult to control the servers. :roll:

Sorry my bad english :oops:

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Mikey » 03 Dec 2008 04:38

Spacejockey and others make very valid arguments, as does Zooz. The Roc hours for anyone in north or south america is difficult, and anyone in asia/pacific its impossible. But there is no simple solution, especially one that cant be abused. I suspect nadeo may be tempted to devise away to improve the system (I hope they do), but would probably wait until after xmas/new year to do so.
I also hope they code some features into future dedicated version to help operation of ranked servers. As it is, its hypocritical for them to insisnt on a queue system and kick/rotation system as apart of the offical rules for runnings a 100k server, when the nadeo supplied dedicated server is unable to, if a server operator chooses to use no 3rd party addons, or runs one that has no queue or rotation system its hardly their fault. And theoretically you could even run a roc server from using the ingame player server which is unable to adhere to the rules. So it would be good if they could include a bug free queue with rotate(force spec) into the next release of the server, and while there at it a beg them to include other measures to partially stop 80k and 90k servers breaking the rules, like refusing to play tracks of certain lengths in a similar way that the packmast skips tracks that dont meet the mask. I know it wouldnt help with FS tracks being played on 90k servers and other rule breaches but it would be a start.

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Gekko » 03 Dec 2008 06:43

Look around there are new systems developed that give possibility to take a career and play whenever you want.
Just use The Power System, we developed this system for fun, and it is a big revelation!!

When you're tired of LP come and enjoy!!

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 03 Dec 2008 15:33

I know the time system is alittle iffy for those who dont live in europe ... but..

would you rather nadeo made the hours for Japanese instead??

No matter where the short slot for sunday racing ... there will ALLWAYS be someone in the world who does not fit in with this time... and so what?
Formula one has had the same system for its racing scince the 1950's would have thought by now racers would be used to it or just not race that system...

Get on and have fun .. if it doesnt fit your life/freetime ... then it just doesnt fit .. simpler than these odd concoctions of rules your trying to invent i assure :wink:

Now get on the REAL issue .. and get the fast people in the game rofl

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 03 Dec 2008 22:27

Well, unlike F1, I doubt anyone is dedicated enough to wake up at a weird time to play 3 hours of TM :P

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 04 Dec 2008 05:27

We'll i wake up for whatever time F1 is on as do the drivers there ... but not that they get paid alot more ... well infinately rofl ..

Just i like to stick up for it cause its good ... obv we need a campaign to get the top players in for a few weeks ... a nadeo comp regarding the ladder maybe ?? ^^ (with some extra hosted servers :wink:

The only thing that upsets me about the new system is the constant whining of non committed wanna do it when they want crowd ... i dont think nadeo intended the top to be for anyone other than dedicated? and they hit there united player peak too ... its all going good i think ^^

SpaceJocky
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by SpaceJocky » 08 Dec 2008 16:53

I hope this doesn't get misconstrued as whining....But I need to vent a little.

Worked late Saturday as usual, Home 5:30 am Sunday. Got a 4 hour nap in, Coffee, smoke...Logged in @ 10am, (North America Start).

Joined AWS Server 9th in Que...Waited Patiently (Even took a shower) 45+ Minutes...8....7....6.......2...1....

Somebody didn't leave, Que burped, Server Error, Glitch...Whatever...But I got placed into race(Snow, unfamiliar track), after warmup complete, and 1st scored laps had started(I was 15 sec's back right off the bat)...8th :( , Goofed the start myself 2nd lap...8th. :( (Really pissed now), then 7th :( ...Got my rythym, 4th for next lap :thumbsup: ...pooched a turn 7th again :? ....and Round over...I lose, not even scored, Autokick...1 hour after joining que. That was it, My one chance at racing ROC this week, as I had to work again shortly and had no time to wait in que's...

I mentioned the glitch to the admins breifly, but I'm not gonna rant and rave while ROC Races are running. I won't spoil it for others, besides...TM Is a hobby after all, nothing to get really worked up about...

I'm just frustrated...venting...etc etc, I'll work back up to 90k this week and try again Sunday.... But come on, Only 40 slots available on 5 servers ? Folks have to wait an hour, to get glitched out...and thats "Fair" ??

Again, I don't mean to sound whiny...but I think I've earned the right to moan a bit :grmblz:
SpaaaaaaaceJockyyyyyyy,