ASECO/RASP (with Dedimania) v0.95 released!

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

slly
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU

Re: ASECO/RASP (with Dedimania) v0.95 released!

Post by slly » 28 Mar 2008 21:22

one thing i've always liked about fast more than aseco is that it takes the server cfg file as a parameter to grab the server login, rpc ports, superadmin password, etc.

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 28 Mar 2008 22:05

Xymph wrote:But what do you mean by "clog up aseco"? Running everything in a single PHP process keeps things more coherent and all the messages in a consistent style, rather than two processes and a mix of message styles (which I personally found rather ugly on an Aseco/Fast server that I checked out before I wrote the plugins).
I really don't know specifically, but after enabling DM aseco timed out after about 30 minutes (twice). Checking the processor and memory utilization didn't show much of an increase, though aseco does seem to be a whole lot busier than without DM. So is that new event meant to synchronize with DM every second, to facilitate the server tracking? It just seems aseco has a bit too much to deal with including the new DM...

It should be mentioned that the said server is pretty busy, with almost always more than 40 players with aseco tracking the top 500 recs per track for over 100,000 players, so I'm sure problems are bound to arise somewhere. Aseco has always tended to be unstable, usually crashing after a few days (if not a few hours) of usage, though you're certainly not to blame -- we see the upside of a week runtime with the core .9x release and Slig's new GBXRemote, though aseco is now crontabbed to restart daily for 'other' reasons.

Still though, I'm not worried as I no longer feel it necessary to use Dedimania, as almost all of the track recs are riddled with 'cheated' times, or just none at all. There's a reason why we run 500 recs instead of 50, as our localdb tends to be much more competitive than DM could every be (we run a 'clean ladder' with some of the best non-booster players in the world). The TMX plugins were great, and about as far as I'd go for a 'publicdb' solution -- just because it's nice seeing our regulars with all of the world records, hehe.

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Slig » 28 Mar 2008 23:00

nocturne wrote:So is that new event meant to synchronize with DM every second, to facilitate the server tracking?
No, it just verify every second if there is some readable data on the socket (ie response from a request to dedimania). There are short timeouts to avoid having the script blocking on the connection long time, and also the connection is kept open for many requests to avoid opening a http connection each time. It should globally not take too much time, but it can't be as short as a local connection.
Still though, I'm not worried as I no longer feel it necessary to use Dedimania, as almost all of the track recs are riddled with 'cheated' times
There are 2 cases of false records on DM :
- real cheats
- script errors (most are made by bad dedicated infos in some special race conditions, on which the actual Onyx plugin did not take care).

Most reported bad records are the second case, and most of them made by onyx plugin, which prevent to see checkpoint times... Btw with Forever the race conditions bad infos should disappear, and also Pagaisu is working on updating the plugin.
About real false records, some time after Forever come changes on Dedimania which will make it request to the scripts the ValidationReplay for the top1, and checkpoints times for all top.

Btw i agree that local records can be more interesting than global ones, it's a matter of taste. And also, one (main?) interest of local records is to have lot more records than 30 by track, which is nicer for medium and low level players. I use a "local" database for such reason ;)

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 28 Mar 2008 23:48

slly wrote:one thing i've always liked about fast more than aseco is that it takes the server cfg file as a parameter to grab the server login, rpc ports, superadmin password, etc.
Yeah, I know it does that, but throughout my involvement with the development since v0.7 I aimed to keep a couple of fundamental things the same: the database structure (no new tables or fields), the plugin mechanism, the way the system is invoked (so no additional parameters to the script in Aseco.bat/.sh, like FAST does), and so on. I figured that approach would minimize upgrade confusion and would just make it easier for everyone to follow me on the path of frequent releases from v0.8 onwards. :)
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 28 Mar 2008 23:57

nocturne wrote:I really don't know specifically, but after enabling DM aseco timed out after about 30 minutes (twice). Checking the processor and memory utilization didn't show much of an increase, though aseco does seem to be a whole lot busier than without DM. So is that new event meant to synchronize with DM every second, to facilitate the server tracking? It just seems aseco has a bit too much to deal with including the new DM...
I guess that's possible on very busy servers yeah.
nocturne wrote:It should be mentioned that the said server is pretty busy, with almost always more than 40 players with aseco tracking the top 500 recs per track for over 100,000 players, so I'm sure problems are bound to arise somewhere. Aseco has always tended to be unstable, usually crashing after a few days (if not a few hours) of usage, though you're certainly not to blame -- we see the upside of a week runtime with the core .9x release and Slig's new GBXRemote, though aseco is now crontabbed to restart daily for 'other' reasons.
Well, my play server allows 22 players, 3 spectators and 100 records per track with 400 tracks, and Aseco has been running stable there for many days or even a few weeks until I had to restart it to enable code changes that I developed on my test server. So if it's less stable in your case, that might be because you're pushing it even more, because of your particular OS, or due to other unknown circumstances.
nocturne wrote:Still though, I'm not worried as I no longer feel it necessary to use Dedimania, as almost all of the track recs are riddled with 'cheated' times, or just none at all. There's a reason why we run 500 recs instead of 50, as our localdb tends to be much more competitive than DM could every be (we run a 'clean ladder' with some of the best non-booster players in the world). The TMX plugins were great, and about as far as I'd go for a 'publicdb' solution -- just because it's nice seeing our regulars with all of the world records, hehe.
I can certainly understand that, and nobody is forced to use Dedimania. As more and more servers start to use it though, the problem of no records for a given track will become less, and the competition between players on different servers for good times on those tracks might become more interesting.
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by cow » 29 Mar 2008 06:14

dang just when i thought it was safe,, he's back
(now if we can figure out which one of us is saying that ^^)
since your still churning awy at this product.
i decided to thrown in a request i am sure you wont do but would be nice for the social aspect of teams.
multi server support built in
I should be able to do /players tech tower from the music tower and see who is playing there.
i should be able to /pm server2-01 to send a pm to first person on second server list
I should be able to do /Gtc to have team chat across servers
ie
/gtc match set for friday if you have a problem speak up.

Moo and how about some /list support for songs.. where is that alreadys
:P
anyways great product,. will recommend it to my friends
I have already bought two copies
awesoem job xymph.
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Goglu2
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Goglu2 » 29 Mar 2008 14:36

Probably a stupid question, but can I use your plugin.dedimania.php with Mitral's version of aseco ?
If I update the GbxRemote.response.php, xmlrpc_db.inc.php, web_access.inc.php and urlsafebase64.php from your system.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 29 Mar 2008 15:34

Goglu2 wrote:Probably a stupid question, but can I use your plugin.dedimania.php with Mitral's version of aseco ?
If I update the GbxRemote.response.php, xmlrpc_db.inc.php, web_access.inc.php and urlsafebase64.php from your system.
As far as I know Mistral's Aseco is for TMU, and I've written the Dedimania plugins only for my Aseco, which is for TMN(S/O). I have no idea whether it works -- or can be made to work -- with TMU, but if you figure it out be sure to let us know. :)

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 29 Mar 2008 15:41

cow wrote:dang just when i thought it was safe,, he's back
(now if we can figure out which one of us is saying that ^^)
Both of us, at each other. :P
cow wrote:since your still churning awy at this product.
i decided to thrown in a request i am sure you wont do but would be nice for the social aspect of teams.
multi server support built in
I should be able to do /players tech tower from the music tower and see who is playing there.
i should be able to /pm server2-01 to send a pm to first person on second server list
I should be able to do /Gtc to have team chat across servers
ie
/gtc match set for friday if you have a problem speak up.
You're right, this I won't do. :shock:
cow wrote:Moo and how about some /list support for songs.. where is that alreadys :P
That's simply not possible to do efficiently without adding an extra field to the Challenges table in the database, but as mentioned earlier I don't want to modify the database layout. Also, not that many tracks have an associated song and many of those don't have a meaningful filename for that song (as discussed in an earlier release thread there is no way to decode the actual song name from the file), so this /list command would have very limited usability anyway.
cow wrote:anyways great product,. will recommend it to my friends
I have already bought two copies
awesoem job xymph.
Hehe, thanks.

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by cow » 29 Mar 2008 19:33

You're right, this I won't do
lol
the good thing about this reply, is you have given it to me many times before. and yet somehow the requests still get in a future release. This one a bit bigger than the rest, so I wont hold my breath, but I wont bet against you doing it either.
probably way way to hard to do anyways.. you have to keep track of two server logins and ips and server ports. yes best to not even think about it.

(subliminal)eruteaf siht dda lliw uoy(/subliminal)
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 29 Mar 2008 20:31

cow wrote:
You're right, this I won't do
lol
the good thing about this reply, is you have given it to me many times before. and yet somehow the requests still get in a future release. This one a bit bigger than the rest, so I wont hold my breath, but I wont bet against you doing it either.
probably way way to hard to do anyways.. you have to keep track of two server logins and ips and server ports. yes best to not even think about it.
Right, it's complicated to build, complicated to explain to admins, and you're the only one that wants it. In other words, it's not an economical use of my time :wink: especially not with TMForever around the corner.
cow wrote:(subliminal)eruteaf siht dda lliw uoy(/subliminal)
gnimaerd no peek
:P

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 29 Mar 2008 23:42

Well Xymph I gotta say I really like this version mate, I just downloaded it and installed it and all is workin perfectly !!! For me it doesn't matter how long it took ya - cos this is perfect mate well done and cheers for your hard work and effort in gettin this release out here !! :mrgreen: :1010

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 29 Mar 2008 23:49

Well, I didn't mean to come down so hard on DM, but I just got annoyed with the records. I know it's not easy, and Slig has put a lot of work into making it a valuable community resource (and Xymph too now, hehe). It would just be nice if there was some way to invalidate records, or perhaps even just a loop in the DM plugin that checks if a DM top rec is more than a certain percentage below the TMX rec (or author time), and displays the records in Aseco at the beginning as being 'invalid', and just 'turn off' and wait for the next round...

I might try giving it a go again, but that spam... It'd be nice to just see the DM rec right in the same line as the tmx rec in the beginning (ex., 'World Recs: TMX ##:## -- DM ##:##'), and at the end just have a 'following recs sent to dedimania'; but the welcome message and all the in-round spam is just too much, hehe. But, that should be pretty easy to hack up myself...

But anyways, thanks again to Xymph (and Slig) for the good work. :1

@ Cow...

!!!!!ooo00OOM

slly
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU

Post by slly » 30 Mar 2008 00:57

something that seems new: all the constant traffic to/from the mysql database, to the tune of about 120kbit/s (2 servers running the same 0.95 aseco running against this database) ?

for cow's server(s) the database is on another server... here's that server's traffic of late.

it really doesn't matter, the traffic is local. this happens even with the server empty.

i was concerned that maybe it's a run away query or something.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 30 Mar 2008 10:13

nocturne wrote:Well, I didn't mean to come down so hard on DM, but I just got annoyed with the records. I know it's not easy, and Slig has put a lot of work into making it a valuable community resource (and Xymph too now, hehe). It would just be nice if there was some way to invalidate records, or perhaps even just a loop in the DM plugin that checks if a DM top rec is more than a certain percentage below the TMX rec (or author time), and displays the records in Aseco at the beginning as being 'invalid', and just 'turn off' and wait for the next round...
Believe me we are aware of the annoyances of invalid records, but we haven't been able to come up with a reliable algorithm to prune/ignore them. A human eye, especially one familiar with the pertaining track, can quickly see that 49 seconds on Angel is impossible :wink: but doing that in code and never deleting a valid time by mistake is hard. TMX recs aren't always useful (e.g. comparing a TA time with a Rounds time on a multilap track) or available (for less popular tracks), and author times aren't always on the cutting edge (when the validater didn't put in much effort) for such comparisons, and just how many percent below those times would constitute an invalid time anyway?

The only approach I could think of needs to happen on the database: delete records where the last checkpoint time doesn't match the finish time, or that have no checkpoints at all. But that's Slig's department.
nocturne wrote:I might try giving it a go again, but that spam... It'd be nice to just see the DM rec right in the same line as the tmx rec in the beginning (ex., 'World Recs: TMX ##:## -- DM ##:##'), and at the end just have a 'following recs sent to dedimania'; but the welcome message and all the in-round spam is just too much, hehe. But, that should be pretty easy to hack up myself...
Combining them in one message isn't possible because the messages are produced by different, unrelated plugins. The plugins would have to be intertwined to combine their output, and I hope you agree that this would be Bad Idea[tm]. :)

But the in-round record messages can be reduced with <limit_recs> or eliminated with <display_recs>, and the messages at the beginning can be turned of with <show_recs_before>. Messages at the end are only shown if there are new records, but those can be turned off with <show_recs_after> as well.
nocturne wrote:But anyways, thanks again to Xymph (and Slig) for the good work. :1
Tony_Bad_Mann wrote:Well Xymph I gotta say I really like this version mate, I just downloaded it and installed it and all is workin perfectly !!! For me it doesn't matter how long it took ya - cos this is perfect mate well done and cheers for your hard work and effort in gettin this release out here !! :mrgreen: :1010
Thanks to both of you.