TMForever.exe Window wont load

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Kevrulezz
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

TMForever.exe Window wont load

Post by Kevrulezz » 26 Jan 2011 06:15

Hello all and thanks for reading this, even if you aren't able to help.

Firstly my PC specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33GHz
12288MB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 295

The Problem:
About 3 weeks ago I had to reinstall Windows 7, I made an error when messing around with something I wont ever mess around with again, nevertheless the only option was to reinstall Windows.

Once I had done that I reinstalled all my drivers and such, got the newest drivers for the drivers I didn't have on hand or were outdated.

Then the first game I tried to play Trackmania United Forever. I reinstalled that, made sure everything was up to date and then got the error:

"Your video card performance has not been found. A quick bench will be performed" I Click OK then: "Could not retrieve your graphics device performance. Automatic graphics quality may be inadequate." Click OK, Click Play, nothing.....

Xfire recognizes that I am currently playing Trackmania, TMForever.exe is in my Processes tab in the Task Manager, but I don't have the game window come up.

I bypassed the above errors when I restored the copy of my Trackmania Folder with a copy I made about mid December but the game still won't load.

I have tried:
Using old Graphics Drivers and old graphics cards,
reinstalling Direct X
reinstalling Trackmania
installed Nations Forever - same error
Installed Nations Forever on Steam - same error
Changed the games compatibility mode to every option available
Installed Microsoft Virtual PC with Windows XP and tried playing TMUF through that - same error.

I have had problems with a few other games as well but I got the last of them working just a few hours ago so now I'm back to trying to get TMUF to work, I though If I got the other games working they might fix my problem but it hasn't happened, I've also got the latest Nvidia drivers today (released about a week ago) as well but the problem still persists.

If you've made it to this point, thanks for reading my long, rambling post.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: TMForever.exe Window wont load

Post by Gording » 26 Jan 2011 15:00

That's a lot of things you've tried there, and I applaud your efforts and the time you've obviously spent on trying to fix this problem yourself. Those of us who try fixing stuff by ourselves tend to learn the ins and outs of how they work.

It is often problematic (at best) to get old games to work on new hardware and operating systems that they have little chance in understanding. So it generally takes some fiddling to get them to play along. Unless the games are updated and patched regularly to fix issues....ahem *cough* (which doesn't happen in troublesome games) *cough*.

Anyway, onwards.

There's little to no point in re-installing the same thing over and over again if the same problem persists (Einstein called this insanity, and he was a clever guy, old Einstein), so graphics drivers 1, 2, 3, and so on, if they all have the same issue...it's not the graphics drivers that are your problem! So what haven't you mentioned so far? The list is endless...but...

OpenAl might be the first thing you haven't listed though? OpenAL is a set of sound drivers that TM and many games can use under M$ Winblows (Vista / Se7en)....whether or not you have these installed, you've not mentioned, but you could have a look in your Control Panel > add/remove software. If it's listed there, then it's not that, so please don't try re-installing. If it's not listed.....try installing!

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx

Good luck, hopefully you'll get it working soon.

Kevrulezz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Kevrulezz » 26 Jan 2011 21:48

Thanks for the response, Sadly OpenAL is installed so isn't the problem.

Usually I can get things working by my self with a little digging online, which I have done for a few games, this just frustrates me because I've managed to reinstall and play games older then TMUF with no problems.

I recall reading a few topics with similar/perhaps even the same problem I have, but no one really worked towards a solution. Its really disappointing that when I first installed Windows 7 I had no problems, but after having to reinstall it TMUF wont work, I have been tempted to reinstall Windows but want to exhaust all other options first.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 27 Jan 2011 15:33

Kevrulezz wrote:I recall reading a few topics with similar/perhaps even the same problem I have, but no one really worked towards a solution. Its really disappointing that when I first installed Windows 7 I had no problems, but after having to reinstall it TMUF wont work, I have been tempted to reinstall Windows but want to exhaust all other options first.
The main difficulty is that no one's PC and software is the same, and as soon as a person switches on their own computer and starts fiddling with it, how it works, and is setup begins to differ from any other computer.

So suggestions for one person might work, while another person hits a brick wall. Most of us realise a computer is just a device, a tool at best, like a complex screwdriver, and it needs it's user to work it, fathom out problems while using it, and find solutions to then apply.

This doesn't seem logical, but as PC are different, and setup differently, one possible fix might not work for everyone....in fact you are guaranteed it won't because the user is almost certainly going to take the advice, move it around, flip it inside out, twist it into a different meaning, and then apply it to their own setup.

"Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious!" - Murphy's Laws

Which leads into unlimited variation, and results.

So taking the premise that you've got all the drivers installed and setup correctly, you could try going back to the basics.

Try right clicking on the game EXE's (these will have the little TM tri-colour icon) and setting "Properties". You can force any program into "Compatibilty mode" where it will run as though it was installed on an older Winblows version. The list of versions is pretty long to try.

Logically this shouldn't need done at all, as TM and many older games run fine on Winblows Se7en (it's run on W98,Me,XP, XP Pro, Se7en for me without the need for compatibilty mode) but again how each user has their own hardware and OS, and drivers setup, and the order they were done changes just how their own computer works. It's simple to try Compatibilty Mode, especially as re-installing Windows will land you with a different setup, and who is to say that after several hours/days you won't actually be worse off, or with the same problem apparent? I wouldn't do it myself.

Kevrulezz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Kevrulezz » 29 Jan 2011 10:34

Well I have tried all the compatibility settings and non of them have worked, I can also rule out my firewall/anti Virus software of being the problem.

smwforever45
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF, TMT, TM2
Manialink(s): smw

Post by smwforever45 » 29 Jan 2011 10:59

There are three ways on how to start TrackMania.
  • Over the launcher (which doesn't work for you)
  • Directly start TmForever.exe in X:\Program Files\TmUnitedForever
  • Go into a browser and type following in the address bar: tmtp://
Maybe you didn't try out the two other ways yet. Do that, and then see if one of those ways works.
Last edited by smwforever45 on 30 Jan 2011 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
~ smwforever45 :)

My YouTube Channel =)

Thunder..
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU+F

Post by Thunder.. » 29 Jan 2011 11:13

Hmm, I don't know if this will work but, I noticed that you have a 4 core processor and some games does not support it (Some automatic works, other don't) so they need to have the affinity set.
Right now it seems like it is trying to use all 4 cores something that it cannot do. So in the task manager over your processes Right Click on "tm.exe" and set affinity to 2 cores.
The only strange thing is that it worked before you reinstalled Windows, so this should not really have something to do with it :s

But anyway, good luck.. :)
MVH: Thunder

Kevrulezz
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Kevrulezz » 29 Jan 2011 12:06

Nope still not working :(