My TMUF-SE will not even start up! Help!

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU TMS

My TMUF-SE will not even start up! Help!

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 31 Dec 2010 06:50

today i had just purchased Trackmania United Forever Star Edition on gamesplanet.com i downloaded the game and entered my key and completed all that. when it was finished i clicked on the desktop icon and hit play, nothing happed but a window appeared but only the outline of the window! the inside was entirely empty and it dissapeared after 3 seconds. I have never even been able to play my game yet!
if it helps i am using a Dell mini 10 inch laptop with everything standard and using windows 7 starter. i am not sure about any other specifics but theres a sticker on the laptop that says "intel atom inside" if it helps. Please help i really want to play my game.
GET BLAZED BY THE PHOENIX“You are truly wise, when you realize how foolish you really are."[/size]-Blazin Phoenix

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: My TMUF-SE will not even start up! Help!

Post by jamie_macdonald » 31 Dec 2010 09:23

First thing i would try is to allow and exception in the firewall/antivirus app you have, or at least try the game with them disabled to test. it may also be worth running as "administrator" to see if this helps.

let us know how you get on, pretty sure we can get there in the end :thumbsup:

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 31 Dec 2010 15:47

Running it with the fire wall off and as an administrator made no difference.
GET BLAZED BY THE PHOENIX“You are truly wise, when you realize how foolish you really are."[/size]-Blazin Phoenix

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 31 Dec 2010 15:50

Ok next step would be to ensure everything i update and official, like the graphics drivers, and any outstanding critical/non critical windows updates. Also ensure that IE (internet Explorer) is on the latest version as TM uses this to do the net test on the way in i think,

Let us know if that does not work still, and if not maybe try a redownload of the installer just incase there is a corrupt file somewhere not helping.

Hopefully we will find the problem soon, i only know the basic usage of the computer so anything more complicated than a local software/OS issue may be far beyond my means to help. But it's worth getting the basic checks out of the way first as it's often the culprit i guess :thumbsup:

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 31 Dec 2010 16:55

I am workin on reinstalling it but this same thing happened with my trackmania sunrise and that one is on a disk

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 31 Dec 2010 23:29

Once again no luck. i upgraded the graphics driver from intel.com and re-installed it. the same problem still occurs

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 31 Dec 2010 23:30

If it would help i can copy the email that was sent to me for comfirmation of purchase.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 02 Jan 2011 16:43

BlazinPhoenix wrote:Once again no luck. i upgraded the graphics driver from intel.com and re-installed it. the same problem still occurs
As usual I'll have to play forum devil's advocate (the bearer of truthful bad news) and explain a little, as you've gone to the expense of actually buying the game, but not reading it's hardware requirements.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no chance your Dell Insipiron 10 can play Trackmania, either Sunrise (near 6 years old), Nations/United (4ish years old), and certainly not Forever (1 year old). Why?

It's a question of graphics power. Which virtually all "Intel Inside" netbooks have virtually none of. So first off you need to understand why this is important (you'll be able to save time and money afterwards), how to know, compare, and then find out what hellish Intel graphics chip is actually inside your portable PC.

The graphics chip built into netbooks, net-tops, laptops, and portable devices is the muscle that draws the screen. If that muscle is weak, your hardware has very limited game playing ability.

You can hope to fix it, you can WANT it to do things that it can't possibly, you can read the well wishes and dreams of forum people with no apparent knowledge or experience of your problem, and waste days of your own time downloading updates, and patches, and drivers until your bones dry out from age. Nothing will help. If your hardware just doesn't have the power there is sadly nothing that can be done to help.

...there comes a white horse, and the rider on the back of that horse...well that'll be me then. But I'm wearing a funny hat with three Donkey ears, and a false red nose, so I don't scare the admins/children on the forum. However, I don't bring Jolly Christmas cheer, nor well wishes for the New year (although I hope everyone did/does well) but I type a very carefully and considered truth. Read on if you dare.

The graphics chip built into laptops/portables of all kinds are not upgradeable, which is why it is vitally important to buy the correct hardware for all the jobs it might be asked to do, and right from the outset.

Sort of like buying a car. You only actually need one seat for yourself, but 2 would be nice, and 4 means you can take a group of people. If you then buy a single seat car, you can't expect to take 3 friends with you later. You simply cannot upgrade to the extra 3 seats you need inside the small one seat body either, so you really should have thought and bought a cheap 4 seater car right from the outset, as now you are stuck with a vehicle that can't be upgraded, and has limited functionality.

Portable's are just the same. Buyers should consider right from the word "Go" just what it will EVER be used for. If it's for the simple world wide wibble, e-mail, myface, nettube, YouSpace etc. a portable using even the lowest power Intel Atom/VIA Nano/Whichever makes little difference, as having almost no graphical muscle is actually more than enough for basic internet and web use. If you need to play High Def video though, you need some sort of graphical power, and hardware acceleration. This adds very obvious expense. Which is why that netbook on the shelf next to the Dell was 30-100 or so of your local currency more expensive. That one had a little more power inside.

Then you think :

"I'd like to play games!"

Those cheap little palmtops/netbooks/laptop PC's are now nowhere near the power you actually might need for gaming (we can discount the Orchard family too, as these are neither cheap, nor gaming friendly, and have no software on the shelves). What hardware you actually need is now well above even what "HD video capable" portables require. The sky is the limit for expense when "gaming" is the target you are aiming for, and as netbooks are cheapest, and run for the longest, only sipping at their small batteries, they have none of the dedicated power draining hardware inside.....well there is one.

Star Wars Yoda voice : "The Alienware M11X! Yes!!! It has the power of the force! He, he, he. Oook!?!"

The little alien box is the single exception to the rule. It's got a big brain (CPU), powerful muscles (massive nVidia graphics), a big fuel tank (RAM), and a big stomach (hard drive). It is the only game playing netbook in existence. There are a very few other 10 inch Netbooks who have some basic game playing functionality too, but these are never "Dell", or "Intel Inside". As Dell has historically been stuck to Intel by arguably illegal glue, having one usally lumbers you with the terribleness of the other.

These very few netbook models like the Samsung N510, or HP/Compaq Mini 311, use the nVidia ION graphics chipset. They're not fire breathing monsters like the Alienware, but they have just enough CPU and graphics power that they can play some simpler/older games with their resolutions, and detail options lowered.

Here's their reviews (the older/less power hungry non-Forever version of TM Nations is tested on the Samsung, while Anandtech more fully explains how good/bad the Nvidia ION graphics are with the HP/Compaq Mini 311) :

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/r ... Netbook/p1
"nVidia would have you believe that ION also delivers gaming potential on netbooks. This is true if you take Intel integrated graphics as your yardstick, but defeating the 945GSE graphics core is rather like besting a horse with four wooden legs - it doesn't take much."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2878

"Gaming performance doesn't appear to be a huge concern on any Intel Atom netbook right now"

http://www.digitalversus.com/dell-inspi ... 56_88.html

"The GMA 500 integrated into the Poulsbo platform gives even lower performance than the already modest GMA 950 that is often used."

Notice the nVidia ION graphics can play the old TM-Nations, at the lowest options and detail setting and lowest res. So this is now the absolute minimum graphics power that the older less power hungry Trackmania engine can run on. So you have to ask yourself just where that scores place in relation to your own PC.

This is easy, and it'll break everyhone's hearts who use portables as they check their own hardware scores later. Nvidia ION...benchmarks...Google be thy name :

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Gra ... 844.0.html

nVidia ION LE = #179 (scores 3002 in the 2005 gaming benchmark)
nVidia ION2 = #181 (score 3385 in the 2005 gaming benchmark)

So this is the aiming point. If 3000 can play the older less power hungry game version at the very lowest and slowest settings, any graphics options of around the same score or above will do just as good/bad.

Ok with the basics explained, the scores shown, and target to aim for, now you need to find out what your own laptops/net-tops/netbooks have inside. Generally users of low end portables have no idea, or interest in what hardware is inside their little box as the low price and long battery life was their main reason for buying, but it is fundamental before you waste time trying to do the impossible, that you actually find out.

So here's how you check, and you don't even need to read a manual (which would take less time than this explanation has taken to type and research).

Winblows Se7en => Windows button > Control Panel (on the right pane) > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers (submenu) > Device Manager (link with little sheild icon) > Display Adapter (in the list).

Winblows XP => Windows Start > Control Panel > System (icon) > Device Manager (tab) > Display Adaptor (in the list)

The graphics chip should be fully named and listed. It'll be Intel, nVidia, ATI, S3, Trident, VIA, something with a name basically, but it's the numbers that are most important, as this is the chip model, and how much graphical muscle it has. If anyone reading this has "VGA display" (generic) you need to install graphics drivers first. Without these very specific to your own hardware/Windows, your PC is not using the fuel to make you graphics chip actually work with all it's features, bells, and whistles, actually switched on.

Now you know what you've got eh? It's a Dell, so it's got Intel (obviously), and as it's got a cheap Intel it's got er...I'll guess a GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator : Intel should be sued for their decades of misleading names and general nonsense) 450 or 500? This is a generally safe guess as most of the smallest Intel powered portables have GMA 450 / 500's, while larger laptops tend to use the slightly more powerful Intel 945/950 graphic chipset.

So now you look on the Notebook check benchmark site above, and compare it's 2005 benchmark scores to the nVidia ION. Remember you are looking to be as close (or ideally) better than where the nVidia ION is, because the review above of the Samsung showed it's ION could just about play TM Nations (before TM-Forever, which needs a lot more power).

Look down the list...lower...lower...keep going...further...

Intel GMA 500 is listed (slightly faster than the 450 by the way) at place #273. It's benchmark score for the 2005 version of 3D Mark is?

Just 135. Not 1350. Just 135. Not quite near the 3000 target then!

Now you have to ask yourself : If the nVidia ION that scores a relatively massive 3000 by comparison can just play the older and less power hungry game version of Trackmania Nations at lowest settings, and res, it's obvious why something more than 20 times slower can't run the game. Maybe that's just me, and logic typing, make your own mind up.

It's the muscles see. Netbooks and cheap laptops don't have any graphical muscles. This is why the gaming capable devices are more expensive, because they really do have more powerful hardware inside. Of course they drain their batteries in an hour of playing, while your netbook will run for 7 or so hours, but it can't play games at all. You can't possibly add this functionality either with software patches, updates, drivers...the muscle just isn't there to do the job in the first place.

Now a little more googling, (yes I'm a bit bored, and although being devil's advocate is not truly fun, the truth has to be told by someone who has the stones, care, time, and consideration to save people the hearthache and frustration of trying to do the totally impossible with their underpowered hardware) finds Dell Inspiron 10's reviewed up and down the interweeble.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/inde ... wID=115771

"Where the previous generation of Intel integrated graphics were a non-starter for 3D gaming, the new GMA 500 proved unable to even get into the paddock. An Intel X3100, for example, can just muster 2fps in our basic FEAR games test; the Dell Inspiron Mini 10 wouldn't get as far as loading the game."

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/dell ... z19t2nxwYt

"The Mini 10's brains are supplied courtesy of an Intel Atom Z530 processor that ticks over at 1.6GHz. This is supported by 1GB of RAM, which is enough to run the netbook's Windows XP operating system. Unfortunately, our review sample refused to complete both our PCMark05 and 3DMark06 benchmark tests."

Netbooks and cheap low end laptops are perfect for general web tasks and internet use. High def video? No. Even 480p on FaceTube struggles. Gaming? Sorry. Not an ice cube in hells chance of working.

You can now save yourself the time, and effort, and had you checked the game's hardware requirement (this is massively important when you buy PC games, unless you'd like to spend years wasting coin, and then pulling out all your hair out in frustration!) you could have saved yourself the money too. Alas you didn't, which is why I've taken the time to explain this far more fully than I would have on other occasions.

It just can't be done on any netbooks where their "Intel Insides" do not score in the same region as those that are using the 20 times more powerful "nVidia ION internals".

If anyone can't find their graphic score on the benchmark list above you can download the 3D Mark 2005 version here : http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark05/ and remember you're aiming to score 3000 or above, although I'd personally suggest this is far too low for TM Forever (which needs even more graphical muscles than the older game engines) now, and 4500+ would be a far better "lowest level" 3D Mark 2005 starting score.

BlazinPhoenix
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by BlazinPhoenix » 02 Jan 2011 19:45

Wow thats a big way to put it! well its okay i have two other computers a toshiba satellite with windows xp home edition, and a intel centrino proccessor i think? and the acer i am gonna have to check the specs. Think it might work on those?

Terron
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: all full+some betas

Post by Terron » 03 Jan 2011 20:45

jamie_macdonald wrote:Also ensure that IE (internet Explorer) is on the latest version as TM uses this to do the net test on the way in i think
really? I have IE disabled in windows features and TM still works online :P