TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Post Reply
arcticprism
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Dec 2010 01:06
Owned TM-games: tmn,tmu

TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Post by arcticprism » 14 Dec 2010 01:20

I have this odd issue with the game where my frame rate drops off over time. I've tried various levels of detail and I can run the game with 70-80 fps+ with any settings.Problem is that the longer I play the lower my frame rate drops. I'm lucky if I can play for 5-10 minutes before getting messages about my frame rate being low. Lowering my settings doesn't help either.

Shadows also take a ridiculous amount of time to load(2+minutes) so I have to play with those and shaders low or off.

I know that it's a well known fact that TMNF runs better but it doesn't make much sense to me that I have no issues with that but a lot with this.

PC Specs:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2660 Mhz

3GB RAM

Nvidia GTX260

Direct x 11

User avatar
DjDesidera
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Posts: 29
Joined: 19 Dec 2009 18:12
Owned TM-games: TMU
Location: Cloud 9
Contact:

Re: TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Post by DjDesidera » 15 Dec 2010 13:32

I think this is graphics card/graphics card driver related.
Have you tried other games to see if it is not happpening in other games also? If its happening in all games it is probably the card and I would first of all advice a driver re-install. If thats not it, you can always try to find out what slows it down: high temp, gpu load, or cpu load by monitoring your pc while playing or benchmarking.

btw GTX260 is a dx 10 card, however running windows 7, dxdiag will say dx11 because its included in windows 7.
But just because you have dx11 installed doesn't mean the card can actually use it. ;)

Hope this helps a bit,
grtsz and goodluck

ps. now using a hd5870, but untill recently played using a gtx260
Image

arcticprism
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Dec 2010 01:06
Owned TM-games: tmn,tmu

Re: TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Post by arcticprism » 17 Dec 2010 16:42

Actually, it's just this game. As I said in my post nations forever runs perfectly fine and I haven't encountered issues with any other game. In fact, I'm not surprised it doesn't run well.

Both games give me these errors every time I start the game. TMNF runs fine though. Maybe it doesn't matter because it just sets detail to a manageable level, but maybe it's an indicator the game doesn't like my hardware as you said.

---------------------------
TmForever 2.11.21 en
---------------------------
Your video card performance has not been found.

A quick bench will be performed.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

---------------------------
TmForever 2.11.21 en
---------------------------
Could not retrieve your graphics device performance.

Automatic graphics quality may be inadequate.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Posts: 280
Joined: 06 Nov 2007 12:57
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF
Location: far away from eejits, and lazy timewasters
Contact:

Re: TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Post by Gording » 19 Dec 2010 01:54

arcticprism wrote:I have this odd issue with the game where my frame rate drops off over time.
Yep that's an odd one. Usually this indicates graphics or CPU is throttling it's speed down usually due to increasing heat. Of course you say other games run without issue, but you neglect to mention whether these games are the same hardware requirement as TM, in which case if one game is throttling down, the other might do too. If however those "other games" are lighter and easier on your hardware, it's entirely possible that one game can drive the hardware so high that it begins to heat up, and things start to throttle back to prevent hardware failure. Other simpler, or better optimised games, using a variety of different settings might not generate as much heat, and therefore they could play longer and faster, or entirely without the same problem. You'd have to specify what games you're comparing really.
arcticprism wrote:Shadows also take a ridiculous amount of time to load(2+minutes) so I have to play with those and shaders low or off.
Not so odd. Try reading this :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26877

...as your game has been unable to set your graphics options automatically (you may have manually chosen some options that aren't the best choices), it's especially important with computing track shadows to set them to the standard settings. Read the link above for what these are.

Depending on track complexity, Shadows can take many seconds longer than they should, or for really busy tracks it can take many minutes, and this is directly related to how fast your own CPU can do the shading work, as well as the settings your own game is using, and the track itself.

TM doesn't run better.....it just runs smoother.

"PC shader 3 - high" creates sort of real looking bladed grass, and this is a massive drain on graphics cards, and frame rate is much lower than setting at "PC Shader 3 - low", where the grass becomes perfectly smooth. You choose what you prefer....nice looking but less smooth, or plain looking with high frame rates. PC users pick what they prefer.

Good luck.

arcticprism
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Dec 2010 01:06
Owned TM-games: tmn,tmu

Re: TMUF Slowing Down Over Time

Post by arcticprism » 26 Dec 2010 01:04

Gording wrote:
arcticprism wrote:I have this odd issue with the game where my frame rate drops off over time.
Yep that's an odd one. Usually this indicates graphics or CPU is throttling it's speed down usually due to increasing heat. Of course you say other games run without issue, but you neglect to mention whether these games are the same hardware requirement as TM.

Starcraft 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Global Agenda, Fallout 3. These games all run on max settings with no frame rate issues.

However, even on the lowest settings for everything , the game still continues to slow down until my frame rate is 1 and I need to alt f4 to exit.
arcticprism wrote:Shadows also take a ridiculous amount of time to load(2+minutes) so I have to play with those and shaders low or off.
Not so odd. Try reading this :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26877

...as your game has been unable to set your graphics options automatically (you may have manually chosen some options that aren't the best choices), it's especially important with computing track shadows to set them to the standard settings. Read the link above for what these are.
Good luck.
I disabled the shadows and put shaders on pc2 and it runs ok. I can do without them.

Post Reply