track mania nations is running slow and freezing up

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

commage
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: nations

track mania nations is running slow and freezing up

Post by commage » 19 Aug 2010 00:33

http://www.xfire.com/profile/xcommagex/

that is my xfire profile, look at my gaming rig, its quite well but idk why its taking sooo long, and i have had to restart my computer several times because of it. someone please tell me what to do.

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: track mania nations is running slow and freezing up

Post by jamie_macdonald » 19 Aug 2010 08:45

Laptops are usually pretty bad for gaming ... especially with only 64mb of video memory (that's ludicrously low). All i can suggest is to ensure you are on the latest version of TM (Patch links in the top of Toolbox section or in update button on the launcher for the game) and ensure your graphics drivers and windows are also up to date.

Another option would be to turn the detail down in the game, what settings are you running it in at the moment? (maybe we can suggest what's good for them specs) :thumbsup:

commage
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by commage » 19 Aug 2010 15:14

ok, thank you, i guess this is one of those games that wont work on this laptop. its windows rating is 3.0 based on the lowest score. then second lowest is 4.6,. figures the 3.0 is the gaming capability. thank you anyways. hopefully ill be able to get a desktop than i can use my 3.3 quad core in and see you all in game =)

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Wolf68k » 19 Aug 2010 15:17

I know this has little to do with the problem but I"m curious as to why your Xfire Gaming Rig detail is so minimal
For example all the CPU line says is that's it a 2.0. A 2.0 what? Intel or AMD and then which chip from Intel or AMD and what series of that chip?
The video card is 64mb. Again 64mb for what; Intel, nVidia or ATI? Again what series of those makers?
When you click on Upload Rig it should give you a new page to click on a button and that should want to run/launch Xfire if it's not already running and then it'll take a few minutes to collect the specs and then give you a page where you can make changes. But the specs its collects should be in much greater detail than what yours is showing.
Take a look at mine to see what I mean http://www.xfire.com/profile/wolf68k/
I only had to make changes to the Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor, with a minor change to the Soundcard, I added details to the HardDrive and Memory lines but other wise it had the info correctly already there. And I manually added the speakers and case detail since Xfire can't detect those
TM name: wolf68k
Display name: Wolf68k (the 8 is actually white ingame, kinda hard to do here)

commage
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by commage » 19 Aug 2010 16:22

gaming rig has been updated. is there any way that thsi can be fixed for play on my laptop. i have a game called Last Chaos that uses more stats than this game does and i can play that and perfect world at the same time. also when im loading to do a track the playing music preloaded music. stops. then starts again. aas tho im running it and pw and lc.

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 20 Aug 2010 06:24

i've looked it up, apparantly it's a core 2 duo 2Ghz, and a geforce 7600 Go (with 64Mb apparantly)

that videocard is extremely weak :s... that's probably your problem, it's all but a gaming laptop you've got there, and then you'll have unpredictable results when trying to play games on it :s
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

commage
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by commage » 21 Aug 2010 20:07

ok well thank you. it plays all of my other games just fine. last chaos, perfect world, shaya, and rappelz. apperently its not good for car games. because this isnt the only one im having problems with. i tried another and it didnt work either. can the graphics card be swapped out with a better one or is it one of those build in ones?

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 22 Aug 2010 05:03

commage wrote:ok well thank you. it plays all of my other games just fine. last chaos, perfect world, shaya, and rappelz. apperently its not good for car games. because this isnt the only one im having problems with. i tried another and it didnt work either. can the graphics card be swapped out with a better one or is it one of those build in ones?
Almost all laptops are hardwired Graphics chips and cannot be upgraded, which is why it is vital you buy the correct gaming hardware in a laptop with some future potential.

However the first games you listed (I'm not looking them all up! :thumbsup: ) have a far lower hardware spec than TMN (TMN+Forever needs even more hardware than old TMN) requires, what made you think the reverse?

The nVidia 7600Go was never a real powerhouse even when it was new 5-ish years ago, but it is by no means "weak" by laptop standards.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 144.0.html

It can play some amazingly good FPS from 2004-06 era, and at good frame rates and detail levels too.

Car games do need a far higher and smoother frame rate than RPGs & 3D FPS do (and TM has never been a very light hardware task), to create a feeling of speed, and smooth handling (compared to walking about and swinging swords or shooting, 1000Kph is pretty fast) but your graphics card should be able to run the game at lowest res with most options set to minimum, and possibly at smooth frame rates too. Of course you don't mention too much about other software you are running (or OS), so you might be lumbering along with lots of M$ stuff dragging your PC speed down into the drain.

The only detail you do mention apart from "running slow" (low frame rate? Press negative " - " key twice in the game to see the frame rate in the upper left corner) and "freezing up", is that your music has problems.

The hard drives in laptops are not high RPM, and trying to load all the game data while the music plays might not be a great idea if anyone has lower or older hardware. There are audio options in the game "Launcher > Configure > Advanced screen", which you can play around with, and when in the game if you hover your mouse at the upper right edge of the screen a drop down bar appears where you can turn the music down to zero, so it frees up some hardware resources. Sound cards do not have an unlimited amount of internal channels to play sounds, and like graphics card that do not have unlimited polygon pushing powers, if you go above the channels they can play you could run into problems with playback. The hardware basically has to time slice between them all...and that leads to skipping and chugging.

As far as your nVidia 7600Go chip...er....goes and I'm not sure I should even mention this as I don't know your level of computer knowledge, even the laptop version can reportedly be overclocked. Have a search on the interweb for "nVidia Tools" and search for those who have done the same to the 76Go.

By speeding the core and RAM up (don't go....ahem....crazy, as there isn't a lot of cooling room inside a laptop, and if you overdo it you can overheat and permanently damage the hardware : you have been WARNED!!!). Try rasing the speeds about 5Mhz higher and test. If it works, gradually increase maybe another 5Mhz at a time, and test each change for 30 or so minutes. You MUST keep checking both the top and the bottom surfaces of the case/keyboard, as well as any exhaust ports for unusual heat build up. If it remains cool after a longer playing session, turn it up another 5....

You'll reach a point where either the frame rate gets no better, or you'll begin to notice heat This is the time to turn it back down 3Mhz, and be happy you got some extra speed. Remember BE CAREFUL as you try to speed it up! Extra speed and heat will drain the battery extra fast too, so make a note of the original nVidia Mhz settings so you can turn it back to standard for when you need portable battery time.

Remember overclocking is a risk you have to ask yourself are you willing to make, and you can/will damage your hardware if you do it badly, and I'm not to blame if you decide to go ahead. :shock:

commage
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by commage » 23 Aug 2010 00:06

ok well im not screwin with speeds im not that smart with computers yet. and i have an intercoolerthingymajobby to put under it and that helps alot. i got the laptop for free. can you get the old tm nations? aeriagames is shutting down project torque and i still want a car game that has decent controls, drift city is too touchy. but drift cirty doesent give me any problems

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 23 Aug 2010 01:49

That's a heckuva lot of questions there Commage! :D
commage wrote:ok well im not screwin with speeds im not that smart with computers yet. and i have an intercoolerthingymajobby to put under it and that helps alot.
Quite right too err on the side of caution. Overclocking is a heady mix of "will it blow, or will it go?" that often destroys those who don't take care. It's all too easy to overheat, and your PC might go the way of an "Apple" fireworks display.
commage wrote:i got the laptop for free. can you get the old tm nations?
You certainly can, and I've read in another forum (so many forums, so few typing skills here!) that the older game version is still played by those who can't run TMN "Forever", or prefer the more flowing older track style. Your profile did say you were playing TMN, and not TMNF though.

I can't confirm how busy or quiet the old TMN servers are, but you can download from lots of websites up and down (not sideways though) the interweb :

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-De ... Game.shtml
http://www.gamershell.com/download_12354.shtml
http://www.filefront.com/listing/pub2/T ... tions-ESWC
commage wrote:aeriagames is shutting down project torque and i still want a car game that has decent controls, drift city is too touchy. but drift cirty doesent give me any problems
Sad to read about the fate of "Project Torque", but they possibly shot themselves in the foot when they started blocking people from playing depending on their country. I was one of those who were locked out and had to resort to stealthing my IP to get on their servers. Great fun online racer, stupid idea, locked out....now dead. Draw your own conclusions. :?

I've not tried "Drift City", but it looks like a nice little cell shaded cartoonish Anime style game, but again the hardware spec is lower than TMN requires, and is in the same region as the other games you play.

Another online racer that runs smoother on less hardware than TMN is "Live For Speed" (not to be confused with EA's Need For Speed games) and it has a fairly busy demo scene, but nowhere near what TM offers, and has only a handful of tracks rather than the hundreds of thousands that players make for TRACKmania. It is sim, than arcade racer, but I still find it fun to play. As a sim there is a massive amount of settings and options you can change to get a good control method (I actually drive using the mouse!) and hopefully make it run smoothly too.

The hardware requirement is actually similar to TMN (being of the same general age), but while TMN would struggle to get 30fps, LFS will be heading up towards 60fps with more detail on screen.

You can find "Live For Speed" here : http://www.lfs.net/.

Good luck.