TM Nations Forever closes on start.

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

gosutag
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TM Nations Forever

TM Nations Forever closes on start.

Post by gosutag » 19 Jun 2010 18:36

I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 and this game has run fine before when I used to play. Recently the game has begun to close when I click on the shortcut to start the game. It will open and then it will close before the game gets a chance to load. I'm not sure when this problem started because it was awhile back.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: TM Nations Forever closes on start.

Post by Gording » 20 Jun 2010 14:37

gosutag wrote:I'm not sure when this problem started because it was awhile back.
It may be that when you last played you might have been using TM Nations (pre-Forever). There is a noticeable difference between the hardware spec that could play TMN, and the hardware spec the newer TMN- Forever version requires.

TMN-Forever added features, and requires a slightly higher hardware spec than the old non-Forever version. So it's possible people install, or run after a long time their old game, get a message that it is out of date, proceed to update to the newest "Forever" game version, without realising that it also has a higher hardware requirement, that might present their PC with a problem in running.

This leaves them with hardware which used to play the game, but mysteriously now does not, but you could effectively be thinking that 2 different games are the same. It's a very fine line between the two, and only a few PC's which were on the very margins were affected, but it is possible, and a few have found the the newer game version no longer worked for them (or runs worse).

Try to lower your game options first. Run the game launcher and in the advanced menu and options, set as many things to their lowest settings, and resolutions as possible, and try again. Also listing your hardware spec (CPU, GPU, RAM) would help us to guess further. OS alone is not enough (but thanks, many don't even tell us that much! :thumbsup: ).

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Post by fordry » 22 Jun 2010 00:10

if the launcher comes up, go into the advanced config options, go to p2p and clear the cache, it might cure it. otherwise, you could try reinstalling the game.

gosutag
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by gosutag » 23 Jun 2010 21:02

I tried reinstalling, I also cleared the cache and it continues to close on opening. My PC specs are:

RAM: 2gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6600
CPU: Intel Pentium D CPU 3GHz

gosutag
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by gosutag » 25 Jun 2010 00:37

*BUMP*

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 25 Jun 2010 03:24

Bumping isn't going to help you. We have lives, jobs, family and friends (and games to play), and there's a forum search function and years of helpful posts if you're determined not to wait for us!

That said, your PC has enough hardware spec to run the game reasonably well (if that 6600 was a GT you'd be in better shape), so you gotta read some more, and try some new things....for example :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25747

gosutag
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by gosutag » 26 Jun 2010 16:18

Okay, I've yet to throw in the towel. I initiated a bench and it says that my graphics card supports "current" settings at 0fps, which doesn't seem to be right. Could that distinguish a problem easier?

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 27 Jun 2010 16:36

gosutag wrote:Okay, I've yet to throw in the towel.
Good stuff. It's by fighting through problems, that you get skillful at problem solving for your own PC.
gosutag wrote: I initiated a bench and it says that my graphics card supports "current" settings at 0fps, which doesn't seem to be right. Could that distinguish a problem easier?
The benchmark is the method where the game runs a little 30 seconds static route and set of game options. As this runs it counts the frame rate of each PC and uses this score to determine it's apparent hardware power. Most PC games do this, as in PC terms none of us have the same hardware, and software setups, so unlike console users (who all have the same spec) we all have to decide our own set of preferences. If users don't know about their own PC spec, and relationship to what each game hardware requirement is...benchmarks are run to allow automatic settings that strike a balance between smoothness, and visual complexity.

But you've now got multiple problems. Game won't run. Benchmark won't run....so you have to be a bit more creative. You've not said you run any other 3D PC games, you need to run some tests first.

Go to your "Start menu" and "Run". Type "dxdiag" without the quotation marks (some forum people are so litteral!).

This is : M$ Direct X diagnostics toolset, which is part of M$ Direct X. Look through the Tabs, and read in the "Notes" window if you have any problems. In Tab "Display" click on the buttons labeled "Test Direct Draw" and "Test Direct3D". Does your graphics card display and run all the tests without errors? If yes, you're ok, you'll have the proper drivers installed that use the hardware features of your 3D graphics card. if no, it is entirely possible you could be using a standard and default VGA display driver. While this works fine for browsing the interweeble, and typing, and e-mail ...these drivers do not have any of the complex 3D accelerated features that PC games require.

If the latter is the case head off to the nVidia website (or look for your nVidia install driver CD) and install the newest set of drivers for your own graphics card.

There are other tabs to test too...and make sure those are working through their tests as well. Generally test and make sure all the hardware passes the Direct X testing procedures.

If any system hasn't got the proper drivers installed or is having problems playing games, M$ Diag is the first and easiest method of spotting it.

gosutag
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by gosutag » 28 Jun 2010 20:43

I did the tests, and found no problems, installed the latest Nvidia driver for my 6600, and TM still closes on start.

4r24
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by 4r24 » 01 Jul 2010 19:14

Same problem, nothing seems to help...
I get a message about "No graphic card performance found, running benchmark..." The config screen appears and when I press play the cursor loads for few seconds but the game never starts. I can see the process of the game in task manager though

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 06 Jul 2010 17:16

gosutag wrote:I did the tests, and found no problems, installed the latest Nvidia driver for my 6600, and TM still closes on start.
As Sherlock Holmes says : "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

Enough CPU speed? Check.
GPU can run the game (nV6600 can use low/medium details at 800x600 res)? check.
Plenty of RAM that it'll run without HD accesses causing game lurches? Check.
Drivers seem to be all working fine? Check.

Basically you've now to check for problems with the game files themselves. Many users never consider this, prefering to believe that maybe un-installing / re-installing many times will magically begin to work.

Make sure that the game version is up to date by using the "Update" option on the game Launcher itself. You're looking for the "Your game is up to date puny human!" message.

Now the next thing is : if you install / un-install, install /uninstall many times..and it doesn't work, there is no point repeating the process endlessly. It either works in one step, or not. Repeating may only introduce problems with Winblows registry entries being confused, and/or broken/corrupted. In effect you could have a slight problem and then introduce massive complications by repeating the failure over and over again. It's not usually the correct way to success.

The game install file you are using may be itself "compromised" too. With millions of players successfully downloading and running the game, there's always a handful of people with problems. Whether they have unknown virus files on their own HD that have tacked onto all their downloads and quietly breaks them as they try to install, or their downloads are incomplete due to download limits, or their PC's are not up to hardware spec, or they have unknown hardware conflicts out of the billion or so various hardware setup combinations, who knows. Whatever the reasons, there are always a handful of problems in amongst the millions of successes for every PC game.

*phew*

Sooo, to try and remove the chances that you've got a virus program tacking itself onto your executable downloads (which could silently break their checksums as they install), Update your anti-virus definitions first, thoroughly scan your hard drive (and the original game install EXE), then download the game install AGAIN, but from another website. For example :

http://download.cnet.com/TrackMania-Nat ... 32111.html
http://www.filefront.com/10013754/Track ... Full-Game/
http://www.gamershell.com/download_24766.shtml

There are many websites up and down the interweb that host mirrors of the most popular game downloads, and using any of these hopefully removes the problems some users seem to have downloading from the main official sources.

Important : Install to a different game folder, and use a new name too, so you don't mix up the old/new installs. Don't just go "click", "click", "click", next > next > Next...exercise those fingers and free will, and type a new location and folder name in. Do not use the old non-working game folder name and location, just in case during your old attempts to get the game running has landed you with a broken or mixed up set of Winblows registry entries.

Once you have the game installed for a second time, use it's Launcher "Update" to get the game all up to date (you can compare folder sizes between the "old vs. new", and how many files they have if you'd like to possibly figure out why the first game didn't work), and do not add new car zips, or alter the game files in anyway before you try running it. If it works like I posted previously (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25747), fine, on you go, you've got hundreds of thousands of user created tracks to crash around and try to beat now.

You can now (very carefully) also un-install the OLD non-working game version, and it's non-working install file too.

However, (there's always a "however") if the second game doesn't work either, there's not much that is left to be advised, because what remains are OS checks, basic hardware steps, driver re-installs, tests, and hardware checks that are gradually re-installed and tested at each step to try and find out what is causing the problem.

Soooooo, people might like to try downloading some other free online racers (you'll grind your teeth to dust with TM at this rate! :| ) just in case TM never works, and you've not got the tech experience to fix it yourself. You will at least have hopefully gotten something out of this experience.

Feel free to try ;
Live For speed (http://www.lfs.net/)
Project Torque (http://project-torque.aeriagames.com)

Both are great online racers, although they don't have hundreds of thousands of tracks to play on that TRACK-mania does.

Good luck.

~BC~
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: none
Manialink(s): none

Post by ~BC~ » 01 Jul 2011 02:49

I had the same problem. I found that the cable from my computer to my router was bad. All worked OK after I replaced it. It was strange, as I could browse most sites on the internet OK but some things would not download (they would start, then stop part way through). That's what lead me to look at my connections.
~BC~

doktorwirefly
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by doktorwirefly » 07 Oct 2013 13:09

There is a known virus that inserts itself into your cache. How it will effect your game depends on your setup but you will find you will not be able to play either because the game will not start or you will get random freezing and minimizing when it does. Because the virus is in the cache you might think that all you need do is delete the cache however if the virus has done its work then who knows what might be broken. Reinstalling the game will not work either as it doesn't remove the cache. You basically have to uninstall the game first them browse to your program data and and program files folder on your C drive and delete any trackmania folders found. If you are running 64bit windows there will be two separate program files folders, The extra is specifically for 64bit programs so check all three if you have them. once you have done this. Run a virus scan and if it comes up clean you can reinstall the game and all should be ok. fyi you will lose all items you have bought with coppers in the game. Skins, Avatars, Horns Maps or Tracks etc... unless you can find them and copy them to another location while you do this and then copy them back again once the game is reinstalled.