Max settings = bad graphics

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Hagen
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Re: Max settings = bad graphics

Post by Hagen » 06 Sep 2009 11:39

I've tried differenet drivers, because I talked to Fosco last night, and he had the same problems with some of the drivers for W7. I tried the ones that he had no problem with, but it did'nt help.

When it comes to the chipset drivers, Gigabyte has not released their offical drivers for win7 yet, for my MB anyway. They have for all the other X58's. That could of course be it, since I'm using the ones that W7 installed for me. Do you think I can use the drivers for Vista x64? It's basicly the same drivers I guess.

XP? After using W7, I just don't wanna go back there, as I have no problems, other than with TM. Besides, I know alot of ppl using W7 and TM with no problems. I want to figure this out.

I have the latest patch for TM, meaning that it says; "Your game is updated" when clicking on the update button in the launcher. I don't know what version it is though.

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 06 Sep 2009 11:51

Check your skype :P

Link for latest patch (the update in TM has never worked ;) )
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 06 Sep 2009 18:29

oops....submitted before the next post was complete! :roflol:
Last edited by Gording on 06 Sep 2009 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 06 Sep 2009 19:26

Boxing gloves at the ready....

Now you've done some more screen shots and fleshed it out a little more with added details there's a whole lot of possible problems and issues going on there. To prevent fights breaking out I've even tested my own PC to try and replicate your problem, but short of hitting it with a big stick it just doggedly works properly.

So onto some comparisons :

First off let's look at the screen grab where you can see the car on the track. Here it is magnified 400%

...and here's the same(ish) angle of the same car on my PC with all game options and setting on maximum....

The thing to look out for here is the pixelating on the edges on your car. Notice specifically the edges of the shadow and the rear window, compared to mine. Yours is apparently worse, and even though my viewpoint is slightly further away and at a lower res, it is magnified 400% too (which should make my pixelation worse) the difference highlights that anti-aliasing seemingly isn't working for you. But look at high quality road texture, compared to what you see!?! :mrgreen:

So onto the road textures next. I tried all game options on lowest/highest I did some more grabs.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/startlowest.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/starthigh.jpg

Ignore the magical change in the car model, as it is not shown at the lowest game options.

What's most important here though, is there is no point at the lowest settings that whole aspects of the game are not rendered. For instance trees always have wooden trunks, and bushes are not boulder shaped. So your computer appears not to be rendering the actual 3D geometry correctly either. Onto the actual track itself now....you can use my screen grabs to compare to your own, although the highest res my monitor can support is only 1280 x 1024.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/flilteringlow.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/filteringhigh.jpg

What's really noticeable here is that the track texture even on lowest bilinear (3dFX and PowerVR could do that!) setting, the track markings and lines are far clearer than you see too. So you've probably got issues with aniso-tropic filtering too. It's almost as if you've got filtering on top of filtering. With this in mind I used the Catalyst Control Centre and set all my options which were all on "automatic", or "let the application decide" to see if I could force the game and the graphics drivers to somehow double the filtering and effects processing. Sadly this didn't work, screen grabs were fixed at 2x aniso-tropic and bilinear filtering.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/re ... inglow.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/re ... nghigh.jpg

I tried everything short of superglue to get both the game and the GFX drivers to work at the same time and muck everything up, but it just wouldn't do it. This however may be the issue you've got. The ATI CCC has a lot of odd options regarding AI filtering and so on, that can take a direct hand in 3D geometry processing, as well as texturing and filtering those jaggies away. So if they are not wholly Winblows 7 ready, or friendly towards your own mix of hardware, you may be able to add options on top of options, and thereby do something very weird indeed. Remember that there aren't two PC's in the whole world that are the same. Other users who have much the same OS/driver/hardware as you have installed the software in a different order, and their hardware is always different....it's the fun/headache of PC variation.

Lastly (phew) although you mentioned problems with the painter you didn't post any pics. However, I gave it a try to see the difference between lowest and highest options are on a working system.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/painterlow.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/c/painterhigh.jpg

Notice that at lowest shader options (PC0 versus PC3high) the windows are completely opaque.

Also from this (notice the very pixelated 2D skin in my low quality painter compared to the sharp edge high version), and based on your screen grabs, I'd guess that the graphic textures you see mapped onto the car in your own painter are so blurred, that you can hardly make out what you are doing? Meanwhile the actual shape of the 3D vehicle is ok?

With all that to ponder on, it's clear comparing yours grabs to lowest in a correctly working system, you are hugely below even the lowest options possible, and as you've got no other problems (have you tried other games such as : http://www.lfs.net/ and http://project-torque.aeriagames.com/) there's not a lot left to try beyond manually seeing if your OS/Catalyst Control Centre/drivers/TM options are somehow having a cumulative effect.

Hagen
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hagen » 07 Sep 2009 06:37

I must say I'm very impressed with the amount of work you guys do, in order to help me out. Thank you! :thumbsup:

@Gording:
You are right, the game does not render some objects at all, like trees, and your lowest settings are far superior to mine - @ max settings. I don't even get the damn lines in the road.
Weird thing is though, that I tried "Desert" last night, and it looked good, with no glitches at all. "Island" as you can see is really bad, and "Stadium" is kinda half 'n half. (The roads looks decent enough, but everthing around looks bad.)

The editor is pretty much blurry and bottons is not recognizable.

I've tried with AA & AF off, but there is no difference.

I have not tried to "force" any settings in the nVidia control panel, but I will try this when I get off work. Even though you have ATi, the basics are the same I guess. I'm also thinking that this might be a way to get it to work. (Hoping actually)

@lille79:
Like we talked about on Skype, I've reinstalled the game clean, wtih the latest patch, but no luck.
I will have to consider installing a second version of W7 (Enterprise), to see if this does the trick. I just have to talk my self into it first. :P

On a side note, I have several games installed, and none of them behaves like this.

Hagen
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hagen » 07 Sep 2009 16:35

Alright, so I've tried to "force" the settings thru the nVidia control panel. It did nothing.
I will now try to run TMUF in the virtual XP mode in win7, to see if I can that to work.

I've also e-mailed Nadeo/Focus, linking to this thread. I hope they will review this, and come up with a fix. :)

EDIT:

That XP Mode thing did'nt work the way I was expected, so I did'nt try to run TMUF from there.

colonelz
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMU,TMN,TMS,TMO

Post by colonelz » 09 Sep 2009 11:21

Problem with blurry graphics here also since upgrading to 8GB RAM and GeForce 275 1792MB under Vista Ultimate 64. It worked fine with 6GB and my GeForce 8800GTS 640MB.

It seems that the game gets an overflow by detecting the capabilities and automatically lowers the visual settings completely ignoring the configuration. The game version is 2.11.19 so more update is not possible at this time.

Hope that Nadeo will take action against this problem as in the future more and more players will face it.

Hagen
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hagen » 09 Sep 2009 14:03

Agreed. I've written them an e-mail about this, linking to this thread. They haven't replied yet. (2 days)

I'm hoping for a fix soon, because this really ruins the game for me. :(

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 09 Sep 2009 15:38

Just to test Hagen, have you taken out some RAM? Since someone has problem with too much memory... I know it's just a workaround but...
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Hagen
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Hagen » 09 Sep 2009 18:30

Actually, no I haven't. I run a Intel Core i7 system with triple channel memory. Removing RAM means that I have to run my RAM in dual channel or single channel. I'm not sure on what impact this would have to the performance in my system.
If I had a 3 GB kit available, then I would try it out.

However, I don't want to spend anymore money on this game, when I don't know if it's going to work or not. Every other game work perfectly on my system, and I can't afford to "fix" my system, so that TM works, when every other game work. (And other applications too)

UPDATE:
Nadeo has asked me to run a DxDiag, and send them the log. I think this means that they are going to look into this matter seriously, and that's good. If the case indeed is that TM won't recognize hardware that's to "high end", we should hope for a fix. As mentioned above, this will be a bigger issue in the future, as hardware will be better and better. Let's hope for a solution! :D

Mistaken89
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Mistaken89 » 01 Dec 2009 00:38

sorry to bump this, but i am also having the same problems as the OP. I recently got TMUF off the steam sale and have not been able to run the game without it looking like this. I was able to run TMN without this issue. any help at all would be appreciated.

LuckyBoy
Developer
Developer

Post by LuckyBoy » 14 Dec 2009 18:11

We've made a workaround in the latest game patch for the windows bug on GetAvailTextureMemory() when total video memory goes beyong 4GB
The effect of this bug is a degradation (by the game) of textures quality.
The issue is explained here:
viewtopic.php?p=158540#p158540
NVidia made a work-around in their driver few months ago.
Amd did not.
A player (snq) who still has this bug before the patch confirm us the patch fixed it.
The patch I'm talking is explained here:
http://tm-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23776

Thanks
JSeb

Mariusz803
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMF

Post by Mariusz803 » 21 Aug 2010 18:53

YYYEEESSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see i read all the post here because after getting a new graphics card (the rest of my whole system stayed the same) i developed this graphics problem. The anti-aliasing in-game was good but the texture filtering (anisotropic?) looked exactly like the first screen shots on page one of this thread.

Solution... wait for it... Under TMF settings manager > configure > advanced > compatibility > "AGP Usage bar set to 100%". Mine for some reason was set to 0% hence these horrid in-game textures.

Before i did this i changed all my default graphic setting to low, medium, high, etc. Then under compatibility i unchecked each box one-by-one and vise versa... nothing helped.

I hope this can be of help to you mate, i was really pissed when this happened to me. My system specs:

i7 920 @3.8
Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme
6GB DDR3 1600mhZ
Sapphire 5970 2GB
Win 7 64 bit

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 22 Aug 2010 04:03

Mariusz803 wrote:Solution... wait for it... Under TMF settings manager > configure > advanced > compatibility > "AGP Usage bar set to 100%". Mine for some reason was set to 0% hence these horrid in-game textures.
...and I already mentioned this fact in my first reply in this thread. Parrot. :thumbsup: I'm happy that managing to adjust it worked for you though.

Mariusz803
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMF

Post by Mariusz803 » 22 Aug 2010 08:39

Gording wrote:
Mariusz803 wrote:Solution... wait for it... Under TMF settings manager > configure > advanced > compatibility > "AGP Usage bar set to 100%". Mine for some reason was set to 0% hence these horrid in-game textures.
...and I already mentioned this fact in my first reply in this thread. Parrot. :thumbsup: I'm happy that managing to adjust it worked for you though.
Really? Haha I don't know how i overlooked it then. But yes i'm glad I got the problem resolved AND that this form is monitored this often.

Cheers.