Downloading trojan horse and not TMNF

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

zipperke
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tmu tms

Downloading trojan horse and not TMNF

Post by zipperke » 07 Jun 2009 15:26

Hello
When you want to download the free version of trackmania on the official site you get re-directed to http://files.filefront.com
when you click download link you immediatly get a warning for trojan horse.
This is not normal
just so you know :grmblz:

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMNF - TMUF
Manialink(s): Generator

Re: Downloading trojan horse and not TMNF

Post by Generator » 07 Jun 2009 15:45

If I try it, it comes directly from Nadeo's file server...

They have no reason what-so-ever to redirect you to filefront. Are you sure you went to http://www.trackmania.com/tm/index.php?rub=downloads ???
Customize your virtual world to the max! >> http://www.virtualcustoms.net
3D Models, 2D skins & horns on my Manialink >> Generatorcolor>

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 07 Jun 2009 16:46

zipperke wrote:When you want to download the free version of trackmania on the official site you get re-directed to http://files.filefront.com
when you click download link you immediatly get a warning for trojan horse.
FileFront is the official primary mirror for the TMNF installer, so that warning may be overzealous... what generates it anyway?
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Wolf68k » 07 Jun 2009 17:01

It could be uses either random servers or picks the one best for you based on where you are. I got the same as you Generator but checked out the Filefront one as well just to look into it.

@zipperke
I checked it out and Avira's AntiVir said the same thing. I think Filefront was hacked or something. I tested this on my Mac, so I know it can't be a hijack on my Windows machine, and got the same file from the same place x9x.info and it was just under 200k.
I sent an email to filefront. You should too http://contactus.filefront.com/ report@filefront.com to let them know. The more people that give them a heads up the more notice they will take.

For the record I have gotten TMNF from Filefront in the past and it's perfectly safe.

This is why I tell people who 'think they can "be smart" about their downloads and where they download from so they don't need an antivirus' that just because the site is generally known to be safe doesn't mean it always is and you can still end up with a virus and not know it.
Granted in this case the file size is a lot smaller than it should be and the icon is for a WinRAR selfextracting file (or at least it was for me, no I didn't run it).
And I'll stop there with the rant before I go too far for this topic.

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Generator » 07 Jun 2009 17:15

I realize Filefront is a official mirror, I was just trying to confirm that he went via nadeo.com to start the download as oppossed to going directly to filefront. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I'd have to agree that Filefront seems to have been hacked.
Yes, 177kb is WAY too small indeed.

ANOTHER EDIT:
Wow, Internet Explorer actually did what it's supposed to for a change! :o

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 07 Jun 2009 17:52

Generator wrote:EDIT: I'd have to agree that Filefront seems to have been hacked.
Yes, 177kb is WAY too small indeed.
I tried starting a download from FF before posting above, and it was the usual 503.9 MB file. Then again, I use FireFox on Linux, so there's little risk anyway. :D
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Wolf68k » 07 Jun 2009 21:36

I started off using FF and it wanted to download the virus. When I tried it again a few mins later I got page not found but at the exact same time in IE7 it wanted to download the file just fine.

@Generator
What version of IE?
If IE7 then it didn't do that for me. If IE8 then ok I guess it did it's job other wise I would guess that is Vista (or Win7) doing what it should more than IE.

//edit
Just tried Filefront now and the file is what it should be again.

zipperke
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tmu tms

Post by zipperke » 07 Jun 2009 21:42

I used Firefox
I'm from belgium europe
I got this redirection immediatly
someone else noticed this and told me, I tought it was important enough to tell the people from tm themself.
I tried it again and now it's the normal download link
so I guess they fixed it :thumbsup:

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Generator » 07 Jun 2009 22:24

Wolf68k wrote:@Generator
What version of IE?
If IE7 then it didn't do that for me. If IE8 then ok I guess it did it's job other wise I would guess that is Vista (or Win7) doing what it should more than IE.
Yes it's IE8 that gave me that warning Wolf, There's an option at the bottom of each download dialog box to 'Report this download as unsafe'. It's a bit of a daft place to put it IMO, because you wouldn't know if it's safe or not until that dialog has finished doing its business and your AV kicks in and tells you. You would have to restart the download just to click it!
(especially if you have the 'Close this dialog when download completes' ticked)

...It is from in Win7 but MS say its an IE8 feature.

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Wolf68k » 08 Jun 2009 06:47

So wait, IE8 has a way to report a file as a virus but you don't know it's a virus until it's downloaded and tested with an antivirus in which case you have to download the virus again to report it?
That's like the farmer letting the fox into the hen house and not knowing it's a fox until after it's eaten the chickens and then trying to keep it out.

I'm guessing it's one of those things where they are building a database that IE8 will update over time and so at some point you go to download a file and IE8 will say "warning this has been reported as a bad guy, are you sure you still want to download this?" 'yes' "are you sure?" 'yes' "because if you're not sure you can stop now" 'yes' "has your family been well lately?" 'yes'
Trying to be like the feature in FF that keeps you from going to a site that Google has checked into and says could have bad stuff with it's pages.